Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya toyota tundra Highlift 4x4 kit question

I recently started to try and map out my new project. Wanted to build a 6x6 Flat bed tow truck for my 1/10 on road cars. So my first thought was to get a Tamiya kit 58415 which is the Tundra Highlift and buy a extra rear axle. What would my next move be when trying to connect the 3rd axle on the extended chassis?
    Bashing by yourself aint cool all the time!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tamiya toyota tundra Highlift 4x4 kit question

ORIGINAL: 17dean

I recently started to try and map out my new project. Wanted to build a 6x6 Flat bed tow truckÂ* for my 1/10 on road cars. So my first thought was to get a Tamiya kit 58415 which is the Tundra Highlift and buy a extra rear axle. What would my next move be when trying to connect the 3rd axle on the extended chassis?
    Well, when people make 6x6 vehicles based on the tlt-1 axles, they usually get two sets of axle cases and bolt 2 of the sides with input shaft holes together to make middle axles. I think it should work with high lift axles, too.
    If you use 1.7 or 1.55 size tires, you could probably use the rear tandem axle suspension from a Tamiya semi truck. Only problem 1.7 is that nobody(as far as I know) makes front drive wheels for those(Tamiya semis have bearing in front wheel design).
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Then again I was wondering if doing this same project but with a E Maxx with the extended chassis. In your opinion , which would be the easier build being this will be my first outside on road cars?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mad Modder , what is the thing that is holding the 3rd axle and trannie in place on your traxxas sledge hammer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mad Modder , what is the thing that is holding the 3rd axle and trannie in place on your traxxas sledge hammer?
    On the first axle, the bottom of the trans is screwed to a skid plate connected to the bottom of the chassis. The aluminum plates on the side of the trans screw to the back of the chassis. To adapt the second axle, I made an extended skid plate to connect to the bottom the the 2nd trans as well. There are two cross members connecting the rear of the first trans to the front of the second for more support.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Then again I was wondering if doing this same project but with a E Maxx with the extended chassis. In your opinion , which would be the easier build being this will be my first outside on road cars?
    It would probably be easier to extend a high lift. I think you can bolt together two input sides of an axle case to make a axle that allows the power to go into the middle axle and out into the rear axle. I'm not sure how you'd do that on a e-maxx.

Are you going for a scale appearance ? Also, does it have to be able to drive offroad?

I ask the second question because the easiest truck to convert to a wrecker would be one of Tamiya's tractor trucks. Those, however aren't very well suited for offroad driving and are only rear wheel drive(2 or 4 wheel).
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be mainly for on road purposes.  I mainly drive 1/10  on road cars anyway  and wanted a wrecker to have my show and race cars on when going to the track or for general bashing times. I want the wrecker as close to  1/10 scale as possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just finished reading and comparing and needed to know the answers to 2 questions  Mad Modder. #1  Is it possible to run the High lift brushless and #2 can I extend the back wheel to strech it out  and do a 4x4 flat bed instead?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be mainly for on road purposes. I mainly drive 1/10 on road cars anyway and wanted a wrecker to have my show and race cars on when going to the track or for general bashing times. I want the wrecker as close to 1/10 scale as possible.
    The Tamiya tractor trucks are 1/14 scale, so they'd look a bit small next to a 1/10 car. Does it have to have two rear axles? I see a lot of single rear axle rollback wreckers on the road. It shouldn't be too hard to mount a flat bed on an extended high lift chassis.
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=280
    You could do a Tundra rollback. Plus it'd be 4wd, so you'd still be able to go offroad.

RC4wd even makes duallies for 1.9 wheels.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Double-Troubl...ls_p_1214.html
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL
    Missed your post.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is settled.It shall be the Ford F350 highlift.  But how and what do I do to extend the back axle? Oh yeah , thanks a great deal for all the info and help. I was about to start saving for a Worminator before I decided to try something on my own! The 350 is right up my alley  and extremely doable!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is settled.It shall be the Ford F350 highlift.Â* But how and what do I do to extend the back axle?
    Probably the cheapest and easiest way would be to get another set of high lift frame rails. Cut them to the length you want to extend your frame. Cut the existing frame rails in between the the rear axle and where the trans mounts where it won't interfere with anything. Splice the extensions into the chassis by sandwiching each joint with metal plates and bolt them together. You'll also need a longer rear drive shaft.
    RC4wd and MIP make driveshafts of various lengths. You may be able to get ones made for the ax10 to work.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last question Mad Modder. What can I do to give the F350 a bit more speed? Is brushless the way to go for this vehicle?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe a very mild brushless system(like maybe a quick crawler system). Hard plastic bodies and high speed don't mix.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not too much speed because i will be having the precious cargo! But I do want brushless to cut down on cleaning the engine and all. So what do you recomend? Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stock, the top speed is about 9mph. How fast would you want it to top out at?
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a lil bit faster. The car it carries is the fast one! But seriously , just a lil bit more speed than 9 mph is needed. It will definately wont be a shelf Queen.  With what you know of that truck chassis , what is the max extension that can be applied? For instance , I was thinking 2.5 inches. Is that too much extra length?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a lil bit faster. The car it carries is the fast one! But seriously , just a lil bit more speed than 9 mph is needed. It will definately wont be a shelf Queen.Â* With what you know of that truck chassis , what is the max extension that can be applied? For instance , I was thinking 2.5 inches. Is that too much extra length?
    Most rollbacks I've seen have the rear axle a bit behind the halfway point of the deck, so you'd probably want to mock it up first to see how far it needs to be stretched. That way you know that you have a long enough wheelbase for a deck you can be sure will hold your car.

Really, even a 6 inch stretch shouldn't be a problem as long as it's properly strengthened with cross-members.

God bless America