Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Terra Crusher HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM
redstorm211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terra Crusher HELP

Hey all.....

My first post. Of many i assume....

I just bought a very nice looking terra crusher. Nice from what i can tell... ha New to the rc world. it appears all aluminum upgraded. Has a OS .18 engine with pull start. Im having troubles with the running of it. I got it started. and it wants to take right off on me. I know i have a sticky throttle, as it wont return toidle. (working on that,) My main concern is once i get my rig driving around i have no breaking.If i hit R it speeds up more. ive took a look at the linkages and not sure where to start. Ive searched all over... but not much luck on these.... If anyone has help it would bemore then appreciated. Ive attached a couple pictures. Comments are more then welcome.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85524.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1689223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20841.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1689224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83451.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1689225  
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Terra Crusher HELP

Not much left of the original truck, is there?

Sounds like the throttle/brake linkage needs some adjusting. The manual should help with that.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/43501ml.pdf
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=43501

In it's current state, your truck is a shelf queen. It looks nice, but is less practical for driving than it was in stock form. There are two things that I'd highly recommend you replace with stock plastic ones if you want to do much driving with it.

1. The suspension arms. If you ever get into a crash with it, aluminum suspension arms tend to bend(and stay bent) as well is transfer a lot of the impact to their mounts, sometimes damaging those as well. Plastic ones work better because they only flex(in smaller crashes) or snap(in larger crashes). Either way, the force of the crash is limited to the suspension arms, so other parts are less likely to be damaged.

2.The bumpers. Bumpers are supposed to flex and absorb the impact of a crash to protect the rest of the car. Aluminum doesn't flex well, so it's a poor material to make bumpers from.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM
redstorm211

The Mad Modder,

Thank you very much. i found the tuning guide. very helpful. have to try it out today. But i could not enter the first link. Tamiyas site keeps saying 403 Forbidden. wont let me get the damn manual... Oh well... i found a mostly Japanese version i can skim through to figure some stuff out. Being a shelf queen... Thats probably the only reason i picked it up. A guy had a pile of old rc's for sale but everything needed something. whether it was a drive shaft or wheel nut oraxle etc.... This one was sitting there and had to have it. He gave me a pile of stuff with it. some fuel, rechargeable glowplug igniter. About 3 bodies. After Oil, A set of street tires and rims, The remote, handful of little tools.And a SH .28 bigblock motor he was thinking about stuffing into it.Not sure what im going to do with it. So what does everyone think this would be worth??? I paid 350..... Hoping i didnt get ripped off....

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: redstorm211

The Mad Modder,

Thank you very much. i found the tuning guide. very helpful. have to try it out today. But i could not enter the first link. Tamiyas site keeps saying 403 Forbidden. wont let me get the damn manual... Oh well... i found a mostly Japanese version i can skim through to figure some stuff out. Being a shelf queen... Thats probably the only reason i picked it up. A guy had a pile of old rc's for sale but everything needed something. whether it was a drive shaft or wheel nut or axle etc.... This one was sitting there and had to have it. He gave me a pile of stuff with it. some fuel, rechargeable glowplug igniter. About 3 bodies. After Oil, A set of street tires and rims, The remote, handful of little tools. And a SH .28 bigblock motor he was thinking about stuffing into it. Not sure what im going to do with it. So what does everyone think this would be worth??? I paid 350..... Hoping i didnt get ripped off....

Thanks Guys!!!
Yeah, sometimes it does that when you try to link to things. You can access the manual on the page in the second link. Above the terra crusher picture, there's a button called "product manual", click it. There is also some other resources like an exploded view of it.

As long as you like the truck, it sounds like a good deal. That's quite a bit of stuff that it came with.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mad Modder is right about the aluminum arms and bumpers, hitting into a solid object like a curb or tree will transfer the impact to other more expensive parts and just bend a bunch of things in general. The other bad thing about it is running in dirt will put chips in the anodizing from the dirt being kicked up. Shelf queen though? Not necesarily, you just have to take these things into account when you drive it and be prepared for the consequences of running in dirt or crashing. $350 is not a bad price, you'd spend alot more to build that truck, let alone trying to find those parts. If you're hoping to turn a profit on it or get it all back, that might be a little tough, selling the SH separate would help though.

I personally loved the Terra Crusher I had, handled very well, just needed more power. If I had the drivetrain parts you have on yours I would've kept it and dropped a big block into it. Reverse is a pain in that truck though, I locked it out and was alot happier for it. Sure I had to pay more attention while driving to avoid "needing" reverse, but that was less of a headache than dealing with the reverse mechanism.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
tattoosonme
My Feedback: (16)

is the trans a stock one if so it has a reverse mech that once u go full travel into reverse it will go full throttle try olny useing half of the brake movement nice truck to
Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 AM
MRAJB

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Mad Modder is right about the aluminum arms and bumpers, hitting into a solid object like a curb or tree will transfer the impact to other more expensive parts and just bend a bunch of things in general. The other bad thing about it is running in dirt will put chips in the anodizing from the dirt being kicked up. Shelf queen though? Not necesarily, you just have to take these things into account when you drive it and be prepared for the consequences of running in dirt or crashing. $350 is not a bad price, you'd spend alot more to build that truck, let alone trying to find those parts. If you're hoping to turn a profit on it or get it all back, that might be a little tough, selling the SH separate would help though.

I personally loved the Terra Crusher I had, handled very well, just needed more power. If I had the drivetrain parts you have on yours I would've kept it and dropped a big block into it. Reverse is a pain in that truck though, I locked it out and was alot happier for it. Sure I had to pay more attention while driving to avoid "needing" reverse, but that was less of a headache than dealing with the reverse mechanism.
Can you explain how you can lock out reverse?