Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

motors and esc for super clod??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
edubble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motors and esc for super clod??

I am looking to build a clod and want to keep it stock except for bearings, motors and speed control. I will not be climbing or racing, I have a T4 for speed as I know it will not be a rocket but want a fast (for a clod) proven reliable brushed set up while keeping stock gears. I want the clod cuz I've always wanted one. So I'm looking for some lower cost, nothing crazy expensive motors and speed control. Also are any of those bearing sets on ebay anygood? Any other low cost items that should be replaced while building? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks guys
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: motors and esc for super clod??

ORIGINAL: edubble

I am looking to build a clod and want to keep it stock except for bearings, motors and speed control. I will not be climbing or racing, I have a T4 for speed as I know it will not be a rocket but want a fast (for a clod) proven reliable brushed set up while keeping stock gears. I want the clod cuz I've always wanted one. So I'm looking for some lower cost, nothing crazy expensive motors and speed control. Also are any of those bearing sets on ebay anygood? Any other low cost items that should be replaced while building? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks guys
I think that 550s are a bit tight in the clod, but I'm sure they can be fitted.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXF54&P=V
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDT4&P=7

These with take up to 14v, so they are pretty quick. For a little more speed that stock, you could run the stock silver cans with a bit more voltage.

For the ESC, you'd need one that can comfortably handle dual motors. Roosters are pretty popular.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMX0&P=7
The GT is also good. It's made for two motors(no need for soldering) and can use either one or two battery packs up to 14.4v.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
oxide80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran an EVX-2 with Titan 550's for a while in my stock Clod, THe EVX is set up to run 14.4v - 16.8v. In order to fit the Titan 550's I had to space the ladder bars from the chassis with washers and to knotch out 2 of the ladder bars to fit the bell ends of the motors. Truck was plenty fast with tons of wheel standing power with the easiest pull of the throttle. The truck was a bit unstable though with the stock chassis, but lots of fun. I velcro'ed the second battery in the front of the chassis. You can run a single battery though with the EVX-2 as long as you put a jumper loop on the battery terminal not being used, (Titan 550's don't like under 14 volts, but you can run twin 12 turn motors on 7.2v-11.1v with the EXV-2, from what I have been told)
Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
edubble

I don't think I want to go with the 550's, prolly something that will bolt right on without modifications. Don't really want to spend that much on a speed control either. I like the suggestions though. Maybe something toned down a bit from that set up. Are there any speed controls in the $50 range? I have not been into RC in a while thats why I'm asking. Thanks guys
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
oxide80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my EVX-2 and both Titan 550's as a package used on Ebay for $50 included shipping about a year ago. Not a bad place to look.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:24 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: oxide80

I bought my EVX-2 and both Titan 550's as a package used on Ebay for $50 included shipping about a year ago. Not a bad place to look.
+1 For $50 you can get new ESCs (like tamiya's teu-103bk) that will handle dual motors fine, but they wont handle motors that are a lot more powerful than 27 turn ones. ESCs like the Traxxas evx2 and the HPI GT will handle higher power motors, but they cost more. A used evx2 or GT would probably be your best bet.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 AM
szewang2805
Banned

there are some bearing set for Tamiya model
http://www.hobbyhot.com/Bearing-Set-for-TAMIYA-Model/