Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

grass hopper again???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
rowdy3128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grass hopper again???

I had a grass hopper in the 80s...thinking of buying one again....I want to know is the spur gear stronger now?? I broke them before & the motors are stronger now.....PS it will have the big sand paddles back on it....live by lot of sand!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM
860Crawler

I have had my re-re GH for about 5 years now and it hasn't stripped gears. I've replaced the body from cracks and replaced the tires but never the gears. Its got a Sport Tuned motor in it as of now and its always had at least a 540 motor in it aside from its first run on the 380.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ran a MM5700 brushless in one many years ago without any kind of issues except for the fact that it was almost uncontrolable and I went through tires in a single 2S pack.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM
ratpower396

now a grasshopper brushless on lipo with real paddles like prolines would be crazy on the sand!!!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a old thread but this section doesn't get much viewing anyway.

Many years ago when Castle first came out with the MM5700 I purchased one for my Rustler project but as luck would have it the motor arrived before the Rustler did so I had to do something with it. Having a Grasshopper with a burnt out RS380 was all the encouragement I needed. I threw MM5700 in the Grasshopper and ran it on a 3S MaxAmps Lipo (yes I was stupid and drank the MaxAmps Cool aid early on). The stock tires lasted almost a 5 minutes before they were bald and coming apart. A quick swap to a set of Hornet spikes and a grassy field had the car basically bouncing from one bump to the next without really touching the ground in between. I say all this to tell you that the car came out of all that with a few more scratches, a couple of bent steering links and two sets of destroyed tires but otherwise completely unharmed. The transmission was just a smooth as it ever was. I finally tore the car down a few years later and there were no signs of wear.

The biggest thing you need to change on a Hopper (or any car really) is to get rid of the stock plastic bushings that come with the car. If you leave these is the transmission it's not uncommon for them to wear to the point that the gears start to wobble around and wear oddly and possibly fail.

Last edited by john01374; 06-21-2015 at 07:07 PM.