Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

Fun and inexpensive truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Maxximize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun and inexpensive truck

So, I've recently gotten back into RC. I have a T Maxx big block project I'm finishing, and an old HPI Rush. I'm also looking into getting an electric when the Maxx is finished, but don't want to spend alot, and don't really want a full on race truck like a Stampede VXL or anything like that. I've never owned a Tamiya RC before, but they look like alot of fun and I love the nostalgic appearance of them too. One in particular that caught my attention is the Lunchbox, the wheelies are insane, and it looks so cool! Anyhow I noticed that they actually re released it again and the kits are around $120 or so, and it comes in three different color themes. There are also RTR versions, but I don't know about that radio that comes with them. I'm thinking the kit would be a better option, and then just getting an inexpensive RTR radio like a Traxxas one.

In doing some research it says the Lunchbox comes with an ESC and a brushed motor of some kind. My main question is how durable is it the truck in general? It appears like it could break fairly easily. And if I do break it, can parts be found easily online? It appears to be somewhat upgradable, shocks, bearings, pinion and spur gear ratios, so that's a plus. What kind of batteries can it take? Will it handle a 2s or 3s Lipo battery for longer run times without an ESC upgrade? I really want one of these, but don't want to do a lot of upgrading to it outside of replacing the bushings with bearings and maybe oil filled shocks. If anybody that has one of these can shed some light on it I would really appreciate it
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
ratpower396

truck is very durable and quite fun.It has a grasshopper/hornet rear assembly so spurs are not changeable but pinions can be with an adjustable motor mount, I have only used stick packs so if your lipos are stick pack sized then they should fit.I dont believe the esc supplied is lipo ready either but i could be wrong.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Maxximize

Hmmm, I suppose I could just go with a high mAh NiMH pack, they are likely cheaper than Lipo anyways and I have an old Dynamite charger I could use for NiCd or NiMH for up to 7 cells. If I do go with the Luchbox, what upgrades are recommended for it?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:20 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Bearings, for sure. Then I'd get some oil shocks, but the bearing kit first. I don't know which shocks to choose, but someone should know.

Bearings; http://www.fasteddybearings.com/tami...d-bearing-kit/
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Mastertaco

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-L...item339dd81b6f

looks like that pack comes with 2(maybe 4 i see 4 shock shafts, but only 2 springs but the other 2 may be hiding out in the back of the package) and its a true tamiya hopup option part too

or i know theres 4 in this pack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Oil...item2a47674659

Last edited by Mastertaco; 02-17-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Maxximize

Ok, so bearings right away. I like those blue shocks a lot, those look really nice! I think when I get it I'll run it on the stock shocks for awhile to get the feel for it. How good is the stock motor in it? Are there any drop in brushed motors that are recommended for a little more grunt?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM
futabahead

Stock motor is fine for just bashing around. I've had the re-released for a few years and I just built it with just bearings and it's a blast. pretty tough lil thing too. the body will get scatched up so I wouldn't spend to much time on painting just some color and go. You'll have a lot of fun with it I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Maxximize

Good to hear, too bad they don't just include bearings in the kit stock. For the radio I'm thinking a Traxxas 2 channel TQ will be pretty nice with this truck. They are pretty cheap and are really nice for an RTR radio. I was thinking of using my old 27MHz T Maxx radio, but I want to completely do away with the crystals in my whole collection. I think the new re release ones come pre colored to whatever kit you order. They make blue, black, and yellow from what I've seen so far. I'm going to go with the black one I'm thinking. Looking forward to getting this thing!