Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

All things TXT-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All things TXT-1

Hey guys I just traded for a TXT-1 and can't really find alot of aftermarket support so I wanted to start a thread dedicated to this great truck. My goal is for all the TXT owners out there to come together display pics of your rigs and share any info about where to get parts etc. Also what size is it considered? I want to get a clear body but again nobody seems to make em. Thanks guys hopefully this thread will take off and help out future owners.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: All things TXT-1

Aftermarket parts.
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cPath=16_48
http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...0&shortlist=1#
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...=desc&offset=1

What servo(s) are you using?
Sorry I took so long, but this part of RCU doesn'y get much traffic.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 AM
devast8r

Thanks I didn't have the rc4wdstore yet so that'll give me a few more options anyway. I don't know why Tamiya doesn't get more support then they do they make decent vehicles. So do you have a TXT? As for servos it came with 2 Hitec 645's.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
The Mad Modder

It doesn't get awhole lot of support because it isn't that popular. All the newbs want fast MTs the TXT isn't fast(nor is it traxxas...). I'm not obsessed about speed, though. If I wanted speed, I'd buy an onroad car and stick a brushless in it. MTs were invented to drive over things, not compete with race cars. Anyways, I have a hs 5645 in mine with a mgt servo saver. That servo has so much torque, last time I was crawling, it pull itself loose from one of the mounting posts.[X(]
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
devast8r

cam that's alot of torque. I think I'm going to get get some ppp servos for this one, I'm not impressed with these hitecs at all. What esc and motor setup do you have in yours? Mine came with a super rooster that doesn't work so I was thinking about sending it back to novak for a super duty xr. The motors are 55t integy but I haven't got to try em yet. And it has a Grave Digger body.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: devast8r

cam that's alot of torque. I think I'm going to get get some ppp servos for this one, I'm not impressed with these hitecs at all.
What doen't you like about it, speed, torque, or both?
ORIGINAL: devast8r
What esc and motor setup do you have in yours? Mine came with a super rooster that doesn't work so I was thinking about sending it back to novak for a super duty xr. The motors are 55t integy but I haven't got to try em yet. And it has a Grave Digger body.
I've heard that the super roosters get pretty hot easily, but, I'd think that it wouldn't be too bad with 55t motors. What do you want to drive your TXT, regular bashing or crawling? For bashing, you might want a little lower turn motors. 55t motors are best for crawling.
Right now, I'm using the stock silver can motors that it came with and the Futaba mc330cr. The stock motors don't have a ton of speed or torque, but they have enough for me and run time is good. About 25 minutes on a 3000 pack.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM
devast8r

Yeah both, they are extremely slow and the front barely turns the wheels. The rear doesn't even work but it's all good cause the ppp ones are better anyway. I'm just gonna bash regularly might climb a few times ya know. The rooster is shot so I may send it back to novak for a super duty xr. I figure these 55t motors should be fast enough I mean stock is 5mph right?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Tom W78

Does anyone know if the txt-1 comes assembled?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Tom W78

If so, how many hours for full assembly? The instruction manual on their website looks like you have to put everything together?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
devast8r

It is a kit as such it is not assembled. It also doesn't have a radio system in it. As far as build time it all depends on you. I had mine done in about 6 hours.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Tom W78

Went ahead and got it. I'm done except I can't get the receiver to work. I've got the 4 pack battery going to the switch and then to the rec. Ch 1 to steering ch2 to throttle. Nothing happens unless I manually move the speed controller. There is a small black and red wire leaving the speed controller that I don't know where goes. The main power is connected to 7.2v. I requested channel 67. That's what the receiver says but the transmitter says 75. The only thing I can come up with is the game me the wrong transmitter unless they changed it inside. I'm beginning to think they didn't. It doesn't have the crystal you can remove from the front.

Any ideas? This is the txt-1 of course.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
devast8r

Send back the radio system for the right frequency.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Tom W78

ok figured out the problem. I had a battery reversed in the 4 pack. Why do they call it channel 67 and the freq. is 75? I thought the channel was your freq.

Anyway, had another problem. I opted for the 4 wheel steering and found I had it installed wrong. Took about 4 hours to figured that one out. Now they're turning in the right direction.

Two more problems I'm having.

One is lack of steering power. I see it's only getting juice from the 4 pack, is that why I can't steer? It will turn off the ground but while it's on the ground there is absolutely no steering.

And second, when I adjust the steering it also affects the throttle some while not touching the throttle. And sometime it will just shunt into reverse.

Also, my Stampede has a brake, is there not a brake on the TXT-1, just goes into reverse gear?

Thanks,

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Tom W78

Went ahead and got it.
I'm glad to hear it.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
The Mad Modder

Why do they call it channel 67 and the freq. is 75? I thought the channel was your freq.
75mhz is referring to a wide range of frequencies. 27mhz frequencies (i think) are for land vehicles or aircraft, 75mhz frequencies are for land vehicles only and 72mhz frequencies are for aircraft only. 72 and 75mhz generally have a little less glitching than 27mhz. The number 67 refers to an exact frequency in the 75 spectrum.
Anyway, had another problem. I opted for the 4 wheel steering and found I had it installed wrong. Took about 4 hours to figured that one out. Now they're turning in the right direction.

Two more problems I'm having.

One is lack of steering power. I see it's only getting juice from the 4 pack, is that why I can't steer? It will turn off the ground but while it's on the ground there is absolutely no steering.
Well, either the batteries can't handle the draw of the two servos, or the stock servo savers are too soft and absorb the servo movement(I didn't really use my stock servo saver since I used a Hitec servo and the kit doesn't include an adapter for hitec). Will it steer while driving? Also the tires are large and grippy, which makes them harder to turn. Btw, what servos are you using?
And second, when I adjust the steering it also affects the throttle some while not touching the throttle. And sometime it will just shunt into reverse.

Also, my Stampede has a brake, is there not a brake on the TXT-1, just goes into reverse gear?

Thanks,
I don't know why it'd affect the throttle unless the throttle trim is set extremely close to the point where it starts to drive and that little movement bumped it into drive for a sec. Whether it has a brake depends on the speed control you are using. Electronic speed controls can use the motors themselves as electronic brakes(depends on if the esc has a brake function). If you are using the manual speed control that came with the txt, it doesn't have brakes.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tom W78

Ok, the throttle thing seemed to work itself out, not sure what the problem was.

Using Hobbico cs-70mg super torque 2bb servos front and rear. Did some adjusting on the servos and found one of them was slipping so I ended up gluing it, couldn't get it to stay put. Ended up also moving the front servo to the rear, seems like it has no power, moved it to the rear and that helped but I think it's not working as well as the other.

What's a good replacement?

Also, how much difference would more powerful battery make on torque? Don't care about speed, just want power. It just has the stock motors.

So far it looks like a good rig. Mostly just having trouble with the servos and steering setup but I think I'm close.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 PM
The Mad Modder

I think that I figured out your servo problem. That particular servo uses hitec style servo savers, the only ones that are included with the kit are futaba and sanwa type. You must have put the futaba style servo saver adapter on the servo and the splines are stripping. I know, because I did the same thing.
You need hitec style servo savers. I used a hitec servo saver for an Associated monster GT and it's worked well for me so far.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUL4&P=7
Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Tom W78

I'm using the one on step 27 of the guide. I think they came with the kit and not the servo. The metal coils and gray saver kept slipping back and forth from the post. I think the white piece (part q1 or q3) stayed in place. Ended up gluing the whole mess together and so far it hasn't separated. But the servo acts like it has no power. I had it in the front and it would barely turn. The rear would oversteer, so for now I've swapped. But I think I just need to replace it. Might go ahead and replace the savers too.

Wanted to know if you could use nimh batteries? So far I haven't found any info on that.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Tom W78

Ran another test and it did actually slip off the splines. What would keep new ones from slipping?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:06 AM
The Mad Modder

Wait, you mean the saver is coming off the splined output shaft of the servo or the splines are slipping inside the saver? It sounds like you either didn't put the screw in that holds the servo saver on the servo, or didn't put the plastic washer(q4) that holds the servo saver together on.
Yeah, you can use nimh, they generally have higher capacity(mah), but take longer to charge than nicads. They also recommend that you don't cycle(charge and run until dead) each nimh pack more than 2 times a day. Still the higher capacity makes up for it.

The servo saver adapter(q1) is slipping because it's made for futaba style servos which use a very slightly larger output shaft than the hitec style servos. A hitec style servo saver would fit the output shafts of your servos closer so it would get a much better grip.

Are you using the manual speed control that came with the kit? If so, your servo power problem may be that those AAs can't deliver the amount of power the servos need to give you full torque. Especially since you need a 3rd servo for moving the MSC. If so, you may want to either get some high mah rechargable AAs or upgrade to an electronic speed control(ESC). An ESC would greatly reduce the power consumption.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Tom W78

I've got it screwed down tight, the cap, that is and that whole assembly keeps coming apart, but I've since glued it, now it's staying put but it's coming off the metal spline on the servo. I think it's stripping or slipping down, Thinking about just gluing that one for now too. Haven't had any problem with the front servo, but that's the one that seems to have more power. When I manually move the wheels back and forth I can tell a difference between the front and back wheels. The front has a lot more resistance even with it not slipping off the spline.

Yeah, just using the stock controller for now. I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a better one.

As far as the stock motors, you can only run one battery to it? What's the max voltage? 8.4? on a 7 cell? I don't want to experiment here if you know what I mean. Mostly just looking for longer run time and maybe a little more torque. Right now I only have a 1500 nicd.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM
The Mad Modder

I've got it screwed down tight, the cap, that is and that whole assembly keeps coming apart, but I've since glued it, now it's staying put but it's coming off the metal spline on the servo. I think it's stripping or slipping down, Thinking about just gluing that one for now too. Haven't had any problem with the front servo, but that's the one that seems to have more power. When I manually move the wheels back and forth I can tell a difference between the front and back wheels. The front has a lot more resistance even with it not slipping off the spline.
Changing to a servo saver for hitec servos would help with the slipping and possible with the coming apart. I still don't really understand the situation there.
Yeah, just using the stock controller for now. I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a better one.

As far as the stock motors, you can only run one battery to it? What's the max voltage? 8.4? on a 7 cell? I don't want to experiment here if you know what I mean. Mostly just looking for longer run time and maybe a little more torque. Right now I only have a 1500 nicd.
By removing the little piece that screws into the bottom of the battery tray, you can fit 7 cell 8.4v packs in. The higher voltage will give you a bit more speed, but not run time. For more run time, you need a higher mah pack. You'd notice a BIG difference in run time if you got a 3000 mah nimh. I get 20-25 minutes with stock motors, an esc and ball bearings added throughout the axles and transmission.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
The Mad Modder

Well, I just had the servo saver come apart on me...[]
Guess I should have put locktite on it instead of trusting the "lock" washer. The screw just came out and is lost somewhere in my fron yard...great.... I'll be placing another tower order sooner than I thought.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Tom W78

Going to get some of those savers ordered, maybe they'll work better. I think that's why there's a lack in power at the rear, it's stripped out two already and I've got it screwed down tight. For now I added some locktight and it's holding in place without slipping. I noticed a big difference in power after that. Servo's probably fine. Need to get a battery and esc. Can't wait to get this beast rollin!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
sparky 25

Here`s mine from a couple of years back,

I put an e-savage 14.4v esc in it and also a pair of e-savage 20t pinions,

there about as large a pinion as you can fit on the txt, but with the twin 4200 battery packs
they are great for a little bit of climbing and also give the txt a good top speed,

i also recommend fitting a ful set of ballbearings as the stock bushings do hold the truck back some
and its alot smoother running with the bearings fitted,

i have fitted kyosho usa1 tires on the stock txt rims and got a new clod body fitted with parma decals,

also have 4ws with 2x 15kg steering servos fitted, not the strongest servos but they do the job

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36391.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1266438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61033.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1266439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20447.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1266440  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.