Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

All things TXT-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: All things TXT-1

ORIGINAL: Tom W78
The only thing I don't like about the txt is the twisting it does when it's going forward or reverse. But based on it's suspension I don't see any way to stop it without stiffening it up completely.
Do you have the sway bars on it? They help a lot with the twist and mine still has good articulation(about 6'').
[/quote]
Any idea where I could track down some replacement sway bars? I am missing mine.
-Z
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Tom W78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What'd you use for the black coat? Looks good. I'm about ready to take my rear steering out, can't keep the saver on the servo. I've tried locktite but it keeps coming apart and slipping on the metal spline. I'm about to just go with front wheel only. Maybe I'll JB weld it first. I think the sway bars are on, I didn't leave any parts off.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is Columbia Coatings Black Crinkle Powder. Sand blasted and baked. It went on a little to thick but I like it. It I feel really bored I would re-blast it and re-coat it.
-Z
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 AM
The Mad Modder

Not currently in stock at tamiya usa
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=9805803
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Tom W78

Ordered some Titan 550 21t motors, stock replacement for the e-maxx. I was looking at the 12t first but I guess those are for the stadium trucks and the xl-5, probably wouldn't have the torque needed for the TXT, so went with the emaxx ones but hopefully they should still be a little faster than the stock 540's. I'll get them installed this weekend if I can.

Since they can handle 16 volts would it be possible to hook two batteries up? I'm still using the stock esc for now. Or would it not make much difference than having one battery? I guess I'd need to wire in another power plug. Just curious because the emaxx uses two batteries, not sure if 7 volts would be enough for the larger motors.

I'll probably upgrade the esc next, what would be a good inexpensive model? I've seen them for around 80 on up. I'm not looking for the best of the best just something that would match ok with the titan's.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
sparky 25

If your looking a bit of extra speed you could fit a pair of hpi e-savage 20t pinions they are the correct pitch and fit perfectly,

i had these fitted to my txt

along with an hpi e-savage 14.4v esc runnng two 7.2v 4800 mah packs,

it could do great 4 wheel drift doughnuts on dry tiled floor with this setup[8D]

also wheelie on grass and that was with the stock 540 cans.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Tom W78

Hey, not a bad idea, since I've got the titan 550's coming I might go with the traxxas evx2 it's about 115.00. I'll just have to get the traxxas plugs for batteries. Can't wait to get the motors while there's still snow on the ground.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Tom W78

Ok, got the motors install but having some problems.

I've still got the stock speed controller in so it could probably use a better one and it might fix my problem. Only using one battery. The Titan's are rated for 16.8 volt so I'm sure two batteries would give it a bit more juice too. Problem: It seems to torque up pretty good but when you let off the throttle in forward or reverse it comes to a dead stop when it hits neutral. My only guess is that because the motors have more torque they cause the vehicle to stop abruptly.

I'm hoping with a new esc it will fix this. I'm watching the stock controller when it hit's neutral and it's not going past into reverse or back into a forward or anything like that. It stops right in the neutral position. These are Titan 550 21t motors for the emaxx. Also, when connecting the red and black wires for the motors I went black to green and red to yellow on both. Would it matter if they were switched green to red and yellow to black?

Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Tom W78

Ok, got the motors install but having some problems.

I've still got the stock speed controller in so it could probably use a better one and it might fix my problem. Only using one battery. The Titan's are rated for 16.8 volt so I'm sure two batteries would give it a bit more juice too. Problem: It seems to torque up pretty good but when you let off the throttle in forward or reverse it comes to a dead stop when it hits neutral. My only guess is that because the motors have more torque they cause the vehicle to stop abruptly.

I'm hoping with a new esc it will fix this. I'm watching the stock controller when it hit's neutral and it's not going past into reverse or back into a forward or anything like that. It stops right in the neutral position. These are Titan 550 21t motors for the emaxx. Also, when connecting the red and black wires for the motors I went black to green and red to yellow on both. Would it matter if they were switched green to red and yellow to black?

Any ideas?
You have the wiring correct, the only thing reversing them would do is run the motors in reverse. Do the motors get hot when you run it? I would check the pinion to spur gear mesh to make sure that it's not set too tight and is binding.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Tom W78

Yeah, I've been taking it apart about a dozen times now and checking the mesh for the right spacing. At first I had it too loose and it was making lots of noise, now it seems about right but it's really hard to turn the wheels. I've just taken it apart again this morning and loosened it some and that seemed to help, going to throw it back together and see how it does.

The shafts are longer on these motors than the stock ones. One side has a hole where the shaft can extend threw into the casing the other side didn't so I had to drill a hole threw the case so it could fit. Oh, well, guess I have a grease cert now.

The motors don't get hot that I can tell, but I've only ran them inside for a few minutes.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Tom W78

Well, I haven't been able to get the Titan 550's to work right. The txt basically comes to a dead stop after going back into neutral like the motors are seizing up. They do have a ton more torque and therefore turn a little harder. When it's on the ground and you move it it's noticeably harder to turn. I've adjusted the gear mesh and it doesn't make a difference so I don't think the problem is there. Plus I put the stock motors back in and it runs like it should. The motors free spin after it's back into neutral. I'm hoping the problem is with the stock controller and not compatible with the Titans. Plus the extra power of two batteries maybe. For now I'll just leave the stock motors in until I get a new esc and we'll see from there.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
gmmwicked

Will be posting pics of my Super Bad A@# TXT-1 soon.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: gmmwicked

Will be posting pics of my Super Bad A@# TXT-1 soon.
Can't wait to see them.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
urgeone

I just bought a TXT on ebay. Huge! I want to run it as a basher/racer. Gonna drop the emaxx transmission that I have in it. Higher gearing, and pop a brushless motor in it. I might lock out the rear steering.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Tom W78

Finally got an esc in my truck. Went with the EVX-2, it was pulled from an e-maxx, got it for around 70.00, brand new.

I was having a problem with the Titans when I first got them in and it seemed to come to a dead stop after throttle, but after several runs it seems to have worked itself out. Maybe they just needed to be broken in.

Had some problems getting the evx-2 to turn back on. Does the ez button not turn it on/off? I reconnected the manual switch to the battery receiver pack and after turning the esc off I use the old switch to off and then on and then turn the esc back on and it will come back on. My Stampede will turn on/off at the esc, but it's a different esc.

So, it's got plenty of torque now, enough to launch it up over the crush cars for a Monster Jam event and a little more speed.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 PM
gcarper77

Just installed traxxas evx-2 16.8vlt and I am using stock motors and two 7.2v 4200mah batts. When I run the truck it really rips but after a couple of minutes the evx shuts down and turns off. Could it be the motors are the problem and should I upgrade them to something different. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Check for lose wires, bad solder joints, dead battery first.