Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

terra crusher

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
scavone128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terra crusher

i was offered this truck in a trade and was just wondering if its worth anything
Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
scavone128

Default RE: terra crusher

here are some pics sorry for the quality
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67168.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1461555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42009.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1461556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42925.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1461557  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
The Mad Modder

The terra crusher is a good truck. The only flaw was that it came with a .18 engine which was rather small for such a large truck. With a bit larger engine, though it would be awesome.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
jermainezey

i just got one of these truck as well by trade i got the stock egine to run , but would like some thing with more power but dont know what will drop right in
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
hsw21

Back in 2004, Epic 18 engine was the choice of TC owner, and yes they drop right in (I did it and didnt recall that I have to do any mods whatsoever, but please double check since it's been a lnog time). Good luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM
jermainezey

oh thanks but i already sold the truck thanks any way i have now is a buugy i would like to sale it too
Old 07-11-2011, 02:05 AM
sporty982000

I just picked up a terra crusher used and another one for parts.

I got one together and running.

I know this truck came out awhile ago, but would enjoy info and help.

this one has a o.s cv-r 18 engine, with pully.

the 2nd parts one, has the tamyia 18, but missing parts to use, wondered if a pully / recoil starter out there, which one would work ??

the steering seems to not have a good turn radious, but does okay.

when I use the break, it wants to flip up and has flipped over.

The tranny is a bit of a pain, but I actually like it, once I got it working right.

So even though old, I am interested in tips, info and mods. mostly in the tranny and engine area.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great truck, but Tamiya basically built a Corvette with a 4 cylinder....

The .18 is a nice little engine, but emphasis on the LITTLE! It was underpowered for the size of the TC, and the Terra Crusher was way overpriced to boot. It was about $200 more than a Savage, and that had a .21! So the TC was dead before it started.... It sort of reminds me of my first R/C - the original Subaru Brat. I got one when they first came out in the late 70's, it came stock with an RS380 motor! It was fun, but since my Dad had a Hornet with an RS540 the Brat got boring right quick and became a Frog with a racing 540.

That being said, it is also a great platform for upgrade! A lot of the parts are still available from Tamiya USA (or Canada as in my case). I am currently fitting an Axial .32 into my TC, and that will make it perfect! The tranny and the rest of the drivetrain on these are very solid, and with a little tweeking you can fit a BB engine in. Face it - the Terra Crusher dwarfs pretty much everything else! I have a Savage X 4.6, and my TC makes it look like a Wheely King (which I also have- we won't talk about how the WK looks beside the TC).

Good luck and remember that any RC is just the start of what you want to make of it!
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
sporty982000

I would enjoy seeing pictures and info on this mod you are working on for the terra crusher. sounds like something in the near future i might do.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM
jspeed

ORIGINAL: sporty982000

I would enjoy seeing pictures and info on this mod you are working on for the terra crusher. sounds like something in the near future i might do.
+1

Would love to see more pics and a few cool ideas.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry folks, but I got an offer I could not refuse and traded the TC away. But I can post pics of big - I have an HPI Baja 5B now along with a Losi XXL. The Losi is as big as the TC was, and the Baja is 1/5 scale gasoline run.... I am the poster child for "Boys and their Toys".

But enjoy your Terra Crushers.... they were great trucks if underpowered and like all Tamiya - built solid!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
KENDOG689

Selling one that is like brand new.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
savageagle

Hey sporty982000, I have a terra crusher I got in a package deal along with a few others. I was told by my local hobby shop to throw it away because there are no parts available for it. Thats BULL. After a long search online I found at www.towerhobbies.com a one-way clutch bearing and a pull starter that work great. My electric starter gear set was bad but the one wau clutch bearing is still good but I get another as spare. These are HPI parts as HPI owns HB now. The stock engine that came with my terra crusher was built for HB (Hot Bodies). The part numbers are: One-way clutch bearing=HPI1430 and the pull starter is=HPIG1428. These I confirmed at towerhobbies. They give the sepcs on this bearing which is a 12mm hex with a 6mm shaft. The pull starter also fits the 12mm hex, thats the outer dimension of the one-way cluth bearing.
The engine should have a few replacement options as i've been looking at a few. You have to match the three bolt holes under the engine, the two bolt holes on each side that mount the engine to the engine mount and the two holes which go through on each side of the cylinder to mount the exhaust. I've been gathering info on dimensions for these other engines and will post resulkts when I get them. I want to upgrade the engine as well.
good luck with the and any new info i'll post here.
Have to sometimes do your research when someone tells you there are no parts because not every worker in a hobby shop knows everything about RC's, especially the Terra Crusher.
As I said, these are HPI part numbers.............here's the link directly to the bearing. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1430%3C%2FB%3E
After getting to this link you'll see the bearing on the left, next to it is HPI Racing One-Way Bearing For Pull Start .21 BB , click on this and it will give more detail. as you scroll down you'll see a link to
the pull starter (small text) you click on that or enter in the parts search HPIG1428, that will show you the pull starter.
I want to do many upgrades so whatever I come up with thats is good i'll post...................................cheers and happy RC'ing.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 30%"][/TD]
[TD="width: 37%"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Since this was posted I recieved the bearing and the pull starter. Guess what, I was too quick in my post. First off, the bearing is the same as I had and the pull starter fits the bearing but I found out that Tamiya shipped the terra crusher with an OS engine, not an HB (Hot Boddies) engine like the one installed in my TC. This created a small problem because the holes to mount the pull starter to the back plate don't match up. No problem. I made an aluminium plate to match the back plate with holes for the starter shaft and the 4 back plate mounting holes. On the inside of the new plate where the four screws hold the back plate on I had to countersink the holes to make room for the 4 screws because they are not countersunk, this allows the plate to sit flush against the back plate. I had to angle the pull starter a bit counter clockwise so the 3 pull starter mounting holes will not interfere with the 4 screws holding the back plate on. The pull starter has only 3 screws and the holes had to be drilled and tapped to accept the three 2.5mm x 5mm screws I used. Another small issue was the housing for the pull starter hits on the top cover of the forward right rear shock top. It holds the engine about 1/8" forward where it will not allow the engine mounting screws to fit. My solution is the make another plate about 3/8" high and long enough so that you have about 1" extra on eaxh end beyond where the shock originally mounted. Two holes at each end, the inboard hole to mount where the shock was mounted and the outboard hole for the shock. This i'll work on in the next couple days.
I am determined to get this truck finished. As for the pull starter mod, it worked great. 4 pulls and the truck started. I put a bit of WD40 in the pull starter as it did stick twice but the guy I talked with at towerhobbies when I was ordering it told me it might stick a bit until I use it a few times.
I was hoping this would be a clean easy install but finding out that the engine had been modified from the default engine to an HB engine changed everything. I've worked for GM a very long time so these mods i'm doing aren't much for me. If anyone needs help with something like i've done let me know. I can easly post diagrams and photo's if it will help anyone, that is if you want to go this route.
Happy Terra Crushing.................................

Last edited by savageagle; 10-02-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Change of plans
Old 10-02-2013, 11:02 PM
savageagle

Hello kendog689, do you have pics of this truck and how much are you asking? I'd like to know exactly what you have to go with it and if you know what label is on the engine (left side just above the engine mount)
Thanks......
Old 08-23-2015, 04:17 PM
getme2

Default My Terry Crucher

Just got mine back from son did some T L C and it looks great
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1439769292891.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2116332  
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM
MRAJB

I know blast from the past. New member here. I'm trying to get my old TC up and running again. Its been sitting for over 10 years and it seems as though the engine is seized up. I'm trying to free it up, but if that fails, can anyone provide any suggestions on a direct replacement engine?
Old 01-18-2021, 12:42 PM
jharding08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome truck!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:58 PM
MRAJB

Well I did eventually get the motor un stuck and the truck does move under it own power, but something is slipping in the transmission. It can barely roll over a small twig. Any idea what could be wrong?