Community
Search
Notices
Tamiya Monster Trucks Discuss classics all Tamiya Monster trucks from the Clodbuster to the TXT1 and everything in between!

TNX5.2R advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
GreenyZA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX5.2R advice

Hi guys, i have a couple of questions..

With the stock TNX exhaust, its mounted in such a way that the outlet points down. This causes the extra fuel and oil to end up on the right rear suspension, making it very hard to clean. I noticed that the front of the pipe has 4 screws that can be removed to"turn" the outlet 90 degrees so that it faces to the side. I'm was wondering if its ok to do this and to cut a hole in the body for the outlet to stick through. In this way the extra oil and fuel might miss the rear suspension. What do you all think.

The second question is, does one getdifferenttypes of tyres for the TNX. The stock tyres works very well on tar / cement surfaces but does not have too much grip on sand. I mostly run on grass, and this time of year, the grass in South Africa is dry and loose and it tends to loose a hell of a lot of traction in corners. I had a look at the HPI monster truck tires but i'm not sure if they will work on the TNX.

The last question. I have been looking online for body shells for the TNX. I found painted and unpainted body shells in a local sop but its the same stock body shape the care comes out. Are there different body shells for example Jeep Wrangler, Volkswagen Beetle etc etc body around that will fit the chassis of the THX or am i stuck with the normal stock shape.

Thanx for all the info on the forum .. i came across lots of useful info.

GreenZA
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: TNX5.2R advice

ORIGINAL: GreenyZA

Hi guys, i have a couple of questions..

With the stock TNX exhaust, its mounted in such a way that the outlet points down. This causes the extra fuel and oil to end up on the right rear suspension, making it very hard to clean. I noticed that the front of the pipe has 4 screws that can be removed to''turn'' the outlet 90 degrees so that it faces to the side. I'm was wondering if its ok to do this and to cut a hole in the body for the outlet to stick through. In this way the extra oil and fuel might miss the rear suspension. What do you all think.
It looks like it just might work. You might give it a try and hopefully the screw holes will line up at a 90 degree position. If it doesn't work you could also use some tube(silicone or high temp rubber) on the tip of the exhaust to bring direct the exhaust further from the truck.
The second question is, does one get different types of tyres for the TNX. The stock tyres works very well on tar / cement surfaces but does not have too much grip on sand. I mostly run on grass, and this time of year, the grass in South Africa is dry and loose and it tends to loose a hell of a lot of traction in corners. I had a look at the HPI monster truck tires but i'm not sure if they will work on the TNX.
I'm sure that you could get some replacement wheels and tires that fit. What size wheel hex does it use?
The last question. I have been looking online for body shells for the TNX. I found painted and unpainted body shells in a local sop but its the same stock body shape the care comes out. Are there different body shells for example Jeep Wrangler, Volkswagen Beetle etc etc body around that will fit the chassis of the THX or am i stuck with the normal stock shape.

GreenZA
Yes there are other bodies that will fit it. I'm 90% sure that bodies for the Traxxas t-maxx (or revo) 3.3, Associated Monster GT, or HPI savage will fit. That would open up quite a few possibilities.
http://prolineracing.com/monster-truck-bodies
http://www.hpiracing.com/hpibodies/truck/
Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 PM
GreenyZA

Thanx Mad Modder.

I did the exhaust mod yestrday. The holes line up 100% on the 90 degree.The only thing i'm a bit worried about is, when the front part is in the stock position, the nozzle point down, allowing or the dripping out of any oil build up when the car is not running. With it rotated, the nozzle points sideways, not allowing that. I will run it a couple of times though and remove the front part again just to check if there is any kind of build up inside the rube. 

With the exhaust sideways it works very very well and because when it's rotated it sticks out the body about 1cm, most of the oil and fuel is "blown" away from te car and does not even end up on the body. I saw a couple of different mods on youtube where the guys built custom pipes that routes the smoke out the rear of the body, like in a normal road car. I might look as building a system llike that in the future but for now, i'm gonna test it as it is now since it works kick ass. 

I'm not sure what the hex size on the wheels are but i'll check that later today and make another post. 

Thanx for the links of the bodies. They are are a couple of nice ones there and i will definitely look into that when I have a couple of buck lying around again. I live in South Africa so i will need to order the parts online and with the exchange rate etc, the arts are a bit expensive. But then again, the local hobby store also ask an arm and a leg for the bodies. 

Thanx for you reply .. i will let you know about the wheel hex size

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
The Mad Modder

Thanx Mad Modder.

I did the exhaust mod yestrday. The holes line up 100% on the 90 degree.The only thing i'm a bit worried about is, when the front part is in the stock position, the nozzle point down, allowing or the dripping out of any oil build up when the car is not running. With it rotated, the nozzle points sideways, not allowing that. I will run it a couple of times though and remove the front part again just to check if there is any kind of build up inside the rube.
No problem. I don't think that running the pipe out the side will cause any problems at all. There are a lot of nitro cars and trucks that put it out the side, and I've never heard of any problems with that setup.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 AM
secretsg

Don't worry about the exhaust pointing side ways. If there's a enormous amount of oil it means you are tuning too rich. However you should look into a pipe such as Dynamite 086 since the stock pipe is very restrictive.

Stock hex is 14mm and your can get a 14mm to 23mm adapter from proline or 14mm to 17mm adapter from OFNA.

For short grass step pin type tire or proline badlands would work good.

Bodies = Anything for MGT/LST/TNX