Search
Notices

Wanted to hire: a figure painter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 PM
TexasTank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to hire: a figure painter

I'd like to pay someone with the knowledge and skills to repaint my figures that came with my IMEX Tiger I and King Tiger. Please send me a PM if interested. Thank you all,

Joel
Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Baliw

Originally Posted by TexasTank
I'd like to pay someone with the knowledge and skills to repaint my figures that came with my IMEX Tiger I and King Tiger. Please send me a PM if interested. Thank you all,

Joel
Hi there Joel,

Not sure how confident you are with your painting skills but just my two cents:

• The figures that comes from the IMEX accessories are painted fugly, I have two myself.
  • If you can do basic colors, it's not that hard to do and I believe you can do it yourself. My crash course tutorial:
    • Get these paints: black paint-on primer (Reaper Master Class is a very good one); any acrylic paints you can buy from a (miniatures) hobby shop (Vallejo my preferred). Acrylic because they're easy to mix, easy to manage with just water, and somewhat more forgiving.
    • Say for a German soldier: gray, flesh tone, brown, black, white/gray.
    • Important: buy a wash, a brown based one (I use many brands, like GW, Vallejo, Privateer Press)
    • Prime with the brush on black; paint the basic colors like gray on the uniform, flesh on the face and hands, etc.
    • After drying, apply the paint wash liberally all over the place; it's very liquid so it seeps into the cracks and crevices and "tones" everything else.
    • You may remove some wash in raised areas like cheeks, shoulders, etc. to make it more "highlighted" or lighter.

And you'll have a better painted figure than what came in the box. No need for shading or layering or anything like that. If it comes too dark you can come back with the same paints and "highlight" areas. If you're afraid of paint chipping, you can buy something like testors to seal it (glossy then matte). The trickier part of course is if you feel you don't have steady hands or can get into the smaller details (like painting the crosses on German soldiers). But since these are 1/16 scale figs (I'm used to painting miniatures for gaming) I believe you can give it a shot

Sorry didn't mean to deter you from hiring very good painters out there, but if you just want something that looks decent from like half a feet away, etc. The speed painting technique is adequate.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:26 PM
craftycliff

Hi Joel. I'm Cliff, also in Texas. I would be willing to trade you my time and skill in painting in exchange for your time and information relating to RC tanks. I have been a modeler for over 40 years in railroading, RC airplanes and RC cars. I currently paint using watercolors. I am new to tanks and before I buy anything I would like to put my ducks in a row. I know from experience that newbies to a hobby usually end up buying things that are not necessary but also spend way more than is necessary in the beginning. I realize that there are toys and models and that there is a big difference between the two. I want quality but cannot afford the high-end models that cost upwards of $5-8K. Hence, your knowledge in trade for my skills. Contact me at 817-658-2113 or email me at [email protected] and we will see what we can work out. Thanks, Cliff.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM
TexasTank

Hi Cliff, mighty flattering of you but I'm really new to this tanking hobby myself. I am becoming more and more familiar with IMEX, who I highly recommend. You should take the money I can pay for you to paint and keep an eye on the classifieds here. Also, it's a great group of guys here with unbelievable knowledge and are happy to share it so you've come to the right place. Do you know if you want to do airsoft BBs an IR firing system yet? Would you like to build from ground up or buy ready to run? Thanks again,

Joel
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 PM
craftycliff

Hi Joel, I want to buy RTR, maybe with an IR system. Not sure at this time. Regarding painting, let me know what you want and we can work something out. I live in N. Richland Hills (DFW area) so we can probably mail stuff back and forth. Cliff. I don't quite understand posting and reading on this forum yet so I am apt to slow in replying. Cliff