Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Mgt 4.6 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
MGt1208
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mgt 4.6 Issues

well ive owned savages a 25 and an xl and also my fair share of onraods hpi rs4 and traxxas 4 tec 3.3 but i just bought my first MGT 4.6 and i really have to say im not to happy with it , at a slow crash going maybe 10 mph broke my lower A arm and bent my steering turn buckle , and it is just one of the Worse experiances ive had with an rc b4 the engine doesnt want to hold a tune what so ever....help me out a little what can i buy to help this little truck out. are all mgts this bad or did i just get bad luck with it
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM
mach23

Default RE: Mgt 4.6 Issues

i dont think all MGT's are this way at all but i got stuck with one like yours too. My 8.0 has about a half gallon through it and i have had probs left and right. I called Team Associated today and talked to 2 of their techs and to be honest they were both very rude and not helpfull what so ever. It was a waste of my time to call for sure. Good luck with yours...
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 AM
almaidah

MGT1208 WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? i would say if your having engine problem i would recommend getting a axail 28 or 32 engine for that truck. they are cheap and work pretty good for that truck i ran my new mgt 4.6 and that engine worked when i was breaking it in but then it didnt work as good after that so i sent the engine back and bought the axail 28 in replacement and never put the new 4.6 back in so i have a new 4.6 engine set aside but dont think its worth using lol so i would say just send the engine back to get fixed and buy a axail they are cheap and good.. thats my opinion ..... if you have the cash get something other engine of your choice but axail is a nice engine. good luck
Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM
driller2948

A 14lb truck traveling at 10 mph if you clip the front wheel, yea your gona break something! You’re lucky you didn't break both upper and lower a-arms, and anything else. Remember these are RTR's. The only RTR that comes with a decent mill is the Losi. Most who purchase an RTR already have a replacement engine or at least one in mind. The 4.6 is only worth around $100.00 but the 8.0 will fetch in up words of $150.00.

I have both the original .21 and the 4.6 never had a problem with either mill. Not great mills imo but all and all very dependable. Didn’t have a lot of issues with tranny or diffs either.
The new hobbyist always wants the latest and greatest version; the one with the most horse power, the fastest. The coolest looking. That doesn’t always get you quality. First sign of trouble they begin bashing the vehicle and the company who designed it.

In one case you state you have owned other vehicles Savage .25, XL, traxxas, and the MGT by far is the worst you have ever owned. I doubt it. You are also trying to compare on road cars to 4 wheel MT’s. You can’t compare the two. Not even close.

The MGT is a fantastic MT the same goes for the savage just designed differently. Both have a good following and hop-ups galore.

As far as Associated’s customer support top notch imo! I blew my .21 engine con rod snapped and fried the entire engine. This was after 9 months of owning the truck. When I called was the tech the most upbeat or excited to hear from me no! Of course not! Did he listen to what I had to say yes! Did he help me yep! Did I get a replacement engine free of charge yep! Shipping was only $10.00 that’s all it cost me. This was the second engine Associated has replaced free of charge the other .15 that came with my RC10 GT RTR.

There is a lot of information hidden away in the Team Associated - Monster GT sub forum that will help you with both of your problems. It just seems that everyone is after the quick fix. Topic; this is my problem fix it for me. After you have read into my comment this far I’m not trying to beat up on you two guy’s.

I would also never suggest an Axial engine very suspect imo. Big Red or LRP .28 or .30 would be a nice upgrade! A real powerhouse would be the Picco .28.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
MGt1208
My Feedback: (2)

well i feel pretty dumb i just pulled out my glow plug to find that half of it wasnt lighting up replaced it with a hot glow plug as it is getting colder around here and it starts well and is running just fine tuneing it only issue im having is im getting good smoke a both high and low speed and temps are about 240 but when i come back from a high speed run and slam the breaks it seems to bog down a little. would this be a low speed or high speed issue. i feel like my low speed needle tune is a very small window to hit it right because its accsleerating well ( not poping the front end up like id hoped ) but go smooth and well and high speed seems right a thin line of blue smoke and good top speed with good temps but its bogging down like its too lean.................