Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

buying MMGT

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Karontu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying MMGT

so i'm going to be buying a MGT 3.0 and i'm wondering what things should i buy with it right out the gate, in my tower cart i have the truck, a fuel bottle, and 2qts of 20% fuel.

i'm new to the nitro scene, i've only owned electric in the past. so any and all help would be awesome
Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Voxmagna

Default RE: buying MMGT

so i'm going to be buying a MGT 3.0
any particular reason your going the 3.0 way?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM
MrBlargMan

ORIGINAL: Voxmagna

so i'm going to be buying a MGT 3.0
any particular reason your going the 3.0 way?
Also curious why you picked the 3.0 model over the 4.6 or 8.0 models...
I know that price is a factor, but I personally think you would be getting a much better vehicle with the 4.6 or 8.0 models.
I have a 4.6 model myself.... I love it to death!

Oh, don't forget a glow plug ignitor!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Goatcrapp

They are totally different animals. The mini mgt is smaller and lighter. the 3.0 in it isn't as torquey (won't be pulling wheelies all day long) but it's top speed is as quick as a 4.6 and will keep up decently with the 8.0

Its still very tough, and being lighter, is actually more nimble around a track, if that's your thing. With upgraded wheels and springs/ thicker shock oil - it handles better than the 8.0 could ever hope to (with the same upgrades, or even with more).

for bashing - the lower weight also means less damage on hard hits. Its a very competent basher, as well - but with less suspension travel and of course smaller wheels, so it won't go everywhere the 8.0 will.

I bash my 8.0 with friends who have MMGT's and its absolutely a worthy addition... but they are very different from either the 4.6 or 8.0.

So good choice, karontu

I like it so much that I actually just bought a pre-owned one, and I already have a pretty highly modded 8.0.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Voxmagna

I'm still having trouble understanding why you would want a 3.0. unless your using it to race on some “small†track.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Karontu

sorry i don't come to this forum often and i got all my questions answered on the general part. 

i chose the 3.0 for two reasons, one the price of course. and two because it will be my first nitro. from what i've heard most people trash their first nitro engine so i want to go the cheap route for that. Also i'm not sure if i'll enjoy nitro, in the event that i do enjoy nitro and it comes time for another i'll prob be getting a savage
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Voxmagna

ORIGINAL: Karontu

Also i'm not sure if i'll enjoy nitro, in the event that i do enjoy nitro and it comes time for another i'll prob be getting a savage

why *** ****!!!! Okkk since your new to nitro. i guaranty getting the 3.0 is a big mistake*. The MGT4.6 was my first nitro Truck, yes i had hell getting the engine broken-in but it was well worth it especially when the winter season comes around(SNOW fun).

1- you are not going to trash your engine. What!!! you-plan on continuously running into a brick wall, drive in a foot of water*, stay WOT for 5min, etc. Anyway Team-Associated should still have Block [link=http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ae_nitro_engine_warranty_info.pdf]warranty[/link].

2- lmao in the event you do like it, youll get a savage. just get the mgt4.6 dont waste the money. Plus in the future, you can upgrade the engine to the 8.0.

Dont let me tell you what to buy, i'am just saying
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Karontu

price had a big deal to do with it, i was looking to save money from going with the losi XXX-SCB + brushless settup, wound up getting the MGT 3.0, glow wrench, extra glow plug, failsafe, and 500cc fuel bottle all for 250 shipped

the SCB was looking at 375 shipped
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Voxmagna

ORIGINAL: Karontu

price had a big deal to do with it, i was looking to save money from going with the losi XXX-SCB + brushless settup, wound up getting the MGT 3.0, glow wrench, extra glow plug, failsafe, and 500cc fuel bottle all for 250 shipped

the SCB was looking at 375 shipped
it is $110 more, comes with a glow wrench and roto-start.
you dont need a fail safe right now
buy a bottle from Home-depo or hardware store.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Karontu

and that 110 gets to buy me fuel instead. it's already on order at tower hobbies, you can't really change my mind at this point.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Voxmagna

we do try.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Goatcrapp

karontu - don't let these clowns get to you.  They are comparing apples to oranges.  the mini is just too different to say "should have gotten the 4.6/8.0 instead"  - might as well be comparing a different vehicle altogether.

I have an MGT 8.0 that has more AE upgrades and more custom parts than most on this board,  and I *still* got myself a 3.0 because they are so different (in a good way)

I would have called it a bigger waste of time if you went with the 4.6 vs the 8.0 - but that too would be a silly debate.

put about 30-50 bucks into your 3.0 once you get used to it, and know which behaviors you want to correct, and you'll have a nitro that'll out handle any of the full frame MGT's including my own, and can do 95 % of the same bashing.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM
kelynsdad1023

has anyone here had problems with their servos or radios in these trucks ?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Voxmagna

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

has anyone here had problems with their servos or radios in these trucks ?
nothing much just serious servo jitter, when the truck running with no activity/standby.(throttle/brake servo)