Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

mgt 8.0 s50 engine breakin

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
firestone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mgt 8.0 s50 engine breakin

does anyone know the correct way to breakin these engines do i idel 2/3 tanks through it or drive the truck at 1/4 throttle
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Goatcrapp

Default RE: mgt 8.0 s50 engine breakin

I let mine idle through 1 tank (about 15 minutes lol) and then let it cool.   I then refilled, had to tune the low speed needle a bit, and drove it at low throttle for a while.  then cool.   3rd tank i drove it at medium throttle.   you'll need to re-tune it throughout this process.   i started nailing the throttle by the 4th tank.  i noticed my break in took about 12 tanks total lol.  It was ready to drive on the 4th tank, but the tune kept changing a bit and stabilized around tank 12.   I also noticed it getting even more wheelie happy all the way through the 12th tank, where it's seemed to stay ever since.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 PM
firestone

hey goatcrapp i got truck run in 1st/2nd/3rd/4th tank ran at 1/4 throttle 5th tank leaned out hsn 1/4 turn truck really runs sweet massive wheelies on demand im thinking of putting 1/8 parma gravedigger body on to replace stock one
Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Goatcrapp

Be careful with the taller bodies like the grave digger - this motor loves to overheat if you don't have good ventilation.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
firestone

thanks for the tip buddy
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM
GaryAH

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

Be careful with the taller bodies like the grave digger - this motor loves to overheat if you don't have good ventilation.
Absolutely true. I'm surprised AE does not have a hole cut out in the windshield of these RTR kits...they might reduce the number of calls to their customer support line.
I find the 8.0 engine to be very easy and reliable, with plenty of power. Just make sure to ventilate it.

If your engine ever starts to run eratic or stalls, etc. don't go crazy adjusting the tuning. Just change the glow plug first. Most often a bad plug is the culprit. (just because the engine runs does not mean the plug is good)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep this engine runs HOT, if your getting good amounts of smoke (remember this is a .50 not a .21) and it runs well, your golden, I stopped temping it because it always runs hotter than 260F, but I got it used, and have put two gallons in it, ported it, and it runs like it's on crack. I just replaced a plug with 2 gallons on it, it was starting to get a little sporadic and tough to start, now it starts right up and runs like clockwork. awesome truck, I love it.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
firestone

running real sweet loads of smoke from exhaust very quick truck