Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Enter, Brushless MGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Supreme Reign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enter, Brushless MGT

My new baby is on it's way to me and I should get it within a week. Team Associated Monster GT!!

I'm so excited. Now I need to find a bigger spot to run her. And hop-ups!! Oh, the hop-ups!!

Got it it one piece. So Brandon and I got to talking and he's having a delimma. Should we go with the E-Maxx 3905 dual-motor tranny, the 3908-single motor, the Summit tranny. or should we just take the 3906 2-speed with dual UE steel idlers out of the Jugg?? The stock trans is still a last resort.

The new Maxx trannies drop right in, though.

I should have some mounts in hand before the week is up. (Fast-Forward)Finally got my transmission mounts in.Now I just need to source some driveshafts/dogbones and drive cups and I'll have a roller. The Maxx tranny is shorter than the MGT's, so I need new driveshafts. I need 114mm up front and 96mm in back. The longer half shaft from the Mad Force axle (Kyosho MA024 - Drive shaft (114mm)) should work up front and a Hellfire front driveshaft(96mm) for the rear. I know what I need, but my piggy bank isn't jingling.

I really wish I could get them anodized, but that's more time and money.

I'm loving it already. Had to make a short trip to Ace Hardware for longer 4mm screws to secure the tranny.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Supreme Reign

Guess who has another MGT coming. I traded a Castle Sidewinder 4600kv Combo for it. It has aluminum knuckles, aluminum a-arm mounts, aluminum shock tops, and aluminum body mounts. Forward only trans conversion. Radio and receiver included.

(Fast-Forward) I feel like I made out like a bandit. My truck came in today!! I feel like I made out like a bandit. I think I might just buy a motor mount finish this truck up first. It's got all the goodies I was going to buy. All I need now are aluminum front+rear gear boxes. The front and rear shock towers are both GPM. I may get those reanodized in blue to match the rest of the blue parts. He mentioned aluminium steering knuckles, but I did not expect to find 4 of them.

Surprise!! Surprise!!(Gomer Pyle voice) He never mentioned the aluminium steering kit($60)!!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you probably already had the Traxxas transmissions around but messing with driveshaft lengths isn't much fun. The RC-Monster motor mount makes converting a MGT much easier and puts the motor lower in the chassis. The Traxxas trans do allow running a battery on either side of the trans though and making stuff to make other stuff fit is half the fun! Nice job getting the trans in there.

I wonder how much it would cost to get the chassis, trans and other parts from a Rival and bolt on the MGT front and rear assemblies though. Might be worth checking the ebay chop shops to see if anything is available and for how much.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Supreme Reign

Thanks, Maj_Overdrive. I already worked out driveshaft measurements, Piece of cake when you're used to building custom solid-axle r/c's. I actually don't like the looks of the elongated chassis of the Rival. They'll have a 17" wheelbase in 2 years at this rate. There are hardly even enough bodies available that properly fit the MGT, as it is..
I got some parts that came in this week. I got the Savage Flux cup joints(86082) mounted up to the E-Maxx tranny. The Savage cup joints are 6mm.

Top to bottom: MGT rear, MGT front, Savage front, Savage rear, Madforce/Inferno ST.

I was going to go with the Savage front driveshaft(HPI 86151) in back, but it's actually the same legnth(77mm) as the MGT rear CVA, so I kept the MGT CVA. Specs will tell you that the MGT CVA is 94mm, but they are measuring the entire unit, and not just the dogbone. I used the 114mm Madforce/Inferno ST driveshaft(MA024) up front.

I test fitted the Castle 1515 2200kv motor and there's plenty of clearance. Now I just need a 150A ESC and figure how to mount the batteries. I don't know if I should go dual 2S or save the money for a 4S brick. I'm afraid to spend the money on a Castle Mamba Monster, because they like to go poof.

I even managed to pass my preliminary inspection. Kitty Approved!!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
tc4 drft

This is perfect timing, as ive been looking to convert mine to brushless as well. I emailed AE on what parts are needed to convert the mgt into a rival, but no reply. Par for the course from what ive heard. Anyways, are you using the 3908 maxx trans? And where did you locate the trans mount?? Did you make that? Ive got a handful of 4s 5000mah lipos im not using, and was debating between converting the mgt to brushless or grabbing a sc8e. I might do both, but brushless mgt first. Let me know on the parts, cant wait to see the final product...ill be following this thread. Ob, and what lipo tray are you planning on using? Any decision on running twin packs or a single?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Supreme Reign

The Rival used different ams, driveshafts, CVA's, hubs, nuts, etc.. You could always buy the chassis, trans, and driveshafts, and transfer the rest from your MGT. I'd rather just convert the MGT to brushless and see how it does..
Yes, I'm using a 3908 trans. I had someone make the mounts for me, but my measurements were slightly off. I'll be running twin 2S packs, because it's what I have. I might buy a 4S when I get funding. Dual packs makes balancing the chassis easier, too. I have a set of Kyosho Twin Force trays that I'll be using.

The easiest way to do a conversion it is to use the RC Monster mount:
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...der+Tiger+MTa4

The preferred route is to do the center diff conversion. You can buy the mount here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-tige...item3a887660d5
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Maj_Overdrive

With the driveshafts I just find it a pain to search out the sizes that are out there. Plus I find cutting the shafts in half, sleeving and welding them to length more enjoyable than being on the pc!

All esc's go poof, and Castle has had some issues but you just hear about them more because they have lots of esc's out there. Out of the 7 Mamba Monsters I've had only one to bad and it just stopped responding with no smoke or anything. One other smoked when the motor locked up during a full throttle tire ballooning roosting session, so not the esc's fault. I'm not a fanboy I just don't think the reputation is deserved especially considering many owners don't know much or own a temp gun. The HW and XErun 150's seem to be pretty good, I've wanted to try one for awhile now but I always end up with a Castle.

I didnt realize the the changed that many parts when they made the Rival. I hear you on the longer chassis, my LST XXL is in the same boat. The LST's are more of pain due to the gear cover sticking so far out to the side. Anyway. If you go with a 4s brick you might want to consider having the tray up front. I've had the pack up front and in the rear on my LST2 and I find handling improves and wheelies are easier to control with the pack up front. It looks tight up front now but maybe rotating the trans 180 will give you a bit more room. If so I'd see about just putting the pair of 2s in one tray. Just a a thought.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Supreme Reign

Maj_Overdrive, I have 2 Castle Mamba Maxes and 3 Sidewinders, and they're great. I just can't justify the much higher price of the Castle ESC's, though, so HobbyWing it is. I have a HW SC8 2700kv combo in my E-Savage, and it's awesome.

I only wish I could cut & weld driveshafts. Building things yourself rather than buying and dropping parts is more rewarding. It's what built the hobby. I'm with you on the battery up. I want better steering and could care less for wheelies with indy trucks. Heck, I traded a Wheely King for the first MGT. It is tight up front, and only a 2S will clear the 1515 motor. I'm considering on 2S in front and one in back.

I wants an LST2 so badly, it's not even funny. I don't need it, but I don't need 2 MGT's either. Variety is good, and I've wanted one for a conversion since they were released..
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Maj_Overdrive

I actually used to have a LST2 and the XXL. It was kinda pointless having both but it was fun and nice to have a truck for others to run. The LST is the best monster truck imo, but I've never had or run a MGT.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Supreme Reign

I got my batter trays installed. It clears the motor in front by a little more than 1/4". The ESC will probably sit up front on the left side of the chassis. I should be running this thing, but I cheaped out on the bullet connectors, and it turns out the 6.5mm was the measurement of the entire casing, not the connectors. Lesson learned. I'll get Castle connectors from now on.

Here is a Wheely King in the middle to show the size difference.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
tc4 drft

Looking good! Ill be ordering a center diff mount from torque3, and using the rc8 center diff. Good chance i will have the mamba monster 2200kv system to power it, but thats still being researched. Question for you. Are you going to do anything with the front or rear diff housings? Ive found either full aluminum housings, and simple reinforcement rings for the plastic housings. Im torn at what to get. Any ideas? I took the nitro parts out this weekend and cleaned it up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1955074  

Last edited by tc4 drft; 01-06-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Supreme Reign

There's really no need for the aluminum diff housings unless you're going with 6S power. Shimming the diffs can help with the gear mesh, and make them stronger. I'm staying 4S, so I'll be getting the aluminum diff cases mainly for looks at a later time. I'm probably going to do a Torque3 RC8 center diff in my other MGT..
Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 PM
rshooch

wow that motor is really up there. looks nice and clean though.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Supreme Reign

Well, the Mad Forces will just have to wait. I used the money to get an ESC for my MGT. I got the Hobbywing QUICRUN 150A ESC. Now I just need to switch to 6.5mm Castle connectors for the motor. I hate soldering.

It's much bigger than the Hobbywing EZRun SC8 (on the right).
Old 09-19-2015, 07:06 PM
cbaker65

You actually still have your Mgt.?....

Nice truck!