Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Monster GT Revival

Old 04-01-2018, 08:08 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Monster GT Revival

Hey! Its been a long time since I been here. I haven't touched RC's for about the last 10 years, but I recently bought an Axial crawler. It's got my stoke level for RC's back and now I want to rebuild my MGT. It's still in great shape with tons of spares for heavy bashing. The engine is toast and I want to convert it to brushless. I'm open to suggestions but I want to keep it relatively cheap, and I want it fast, but not stupid fast. I found a motor mount to buy with the use of the original tranny but I may go the center diff route if the tranny doesn't hold up. What kv motor and what amp esc would be ideal for this conversion? I was thinking running 3-4s lipo max, but I'm not experienced with brushless at all. What I do know is I can't wait to get this beast back up and running. Here's a video from the good ol' days of loud, 2 stroke smelling nitro. I really had a blast with this thing and it took a beating.

and here's a video of my crawler from yesterday

Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have received everything for the conversion except for the center diff mount which should be here soon, hopefully. I went with a Kyosho center diff with a 46 tooth spur which has the same size teeth/pitch as my 46 tooth MGT spur. I thought that was 32p but the 2 32p pinions I ordered don't mesh up right with the spur gear. I'm looking for a 16 tooth pinion with 5mm bore. My closest hobby shop is about 2 hours away so I want to make this next order right, hahaha. What pinions do I need and what gearing can you suggest. I knew my gearing well with the transmission but not certain with a center diff. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 04-21-2018, 09:56 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a short video of the conversion. After being a nitro geek for all the years I had this truck, everything now seems so clean, simple, easy and light weight. I ran multiple 2s runs with my kids and that's actually plenty of power and speed for us to have fun. This is the 4th run on a 4s 5000mah 50c battery. I'm not getting on it real hard but it's plenty of power for what I need. The first run absolutely shredded the stock 8.0 tires. They couldn't handle the power and ballooning, so now I'm running race/track type tires. I'm a little rusty after these years but once I get dialed back in expect to see some gnarly bashing. This Monster GT has been revived! Haha

Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been running the truck for about 2 weeks now. I toasted the Turnigy 120a esc and replaced it with a Hobbywing 150a esc. It's runs much cooler now on 4s and the new esc is much smoother on the throttle and brake. I shredded the stock 8.0 tires and yesterday shredded a rear pro-line crime fighter. I wanted some big bash tires any how, so ordered the Badland MX38. Hopefully they can handle the power and abuse. The center diff and diffs are holding up well. I have had the diffs in the truck forever and when shimmed properly, they seem bullet proof, which was one of my worries. When I pulled the truck out of storage it was in pretty rough shape but have gradually got the worn, beat up parts replaced. The other day I put 30k diff oil front and rear, 500k in the center diff. That made a huge difference and seems to fit my needs and driving style perfect. Running 12t/46t gearing, but once I get the new tires, l will put in a 10t or 11t pinion. This thing is wicked compared to the nitro engine I was used to. It took me a while to relearn how to drive and jump but I'm getting there. I'm still amazed that just a little throttle 5-10 feet before the jump will rocket boost it off the lip. Here's a video from yesterday

Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by hilifemt View Post
Here's a short video of the conversion. After being a nitro geek for all the years I had this truck, everything now seems so clean, simple, easy and light weight. I ran multiple 2s runs with my kids and that's actually plenty of power and speed for us to have fun. This is the 4th run on a 4s 5000mah 50c battery. I'm not getting on it real hard but it's plenty of power for what I need. The first run absolutely shredded the stock 8.0 tires. They couldn't handle the power and ballooning, so now I'm running race/track type tires. I'm a little rusty after these years but once I get dialed back in expect to see some gnarly bashing. This Monster GT has been revived! Haha

https://youtu.be/vaH2ujL7fjI
Sweet!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:11 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been running the truck for about 2 weeks now. I toasted the Turnigy 120a esc and replaced it with a Hobbywing 150a esc. It's runs much cooler now on 4s and the new esc is much smoother on the throttle and brake. I shredded the stock 8.0 tires and yesterday shredded a rear pro-line crime fighter. I wanted some big bash tires any how, so ordered the Badland MX38. Hopefully they can handle the power and abuse. The center diff and diffs are holding up well. I have had the diffs in the truck forever and when shimmed properly, they seem bullet proof, which was one of my worries. When I pulled the truck out of storage it was in pretty rough shape but have gradually got the worn, beat up parts replaced. The other day I put 30k diff oil front and rear, 500k in the center diff. That made a huge difference and seems to fit my needs and driving style perfect. Running 12t/46t gearing, but once I get the new tires, l will put in a 10t or 11t pinion. This thing is wicked compared to the nitro engine I was used to. It took me a while to relearn how to drive and jump but I'm getting there. I'm still amazed that just a little throttle 5-10 feet before the jump will rocket boost it off the lip. Here's a video from yesterday

https://youtu.be/xyyuDTt9I78
Looks like you got things pretty much worked out. Great job! Great choice of ESC...sorry, but I'm pretty much a Hobbywing fanboy .

I don't think I saw what motor you went with. For 4S LiPo pack use, I'm assuming you are using close to a 4270/4274 2000kv motor?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 PM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks man! The Hobbywing esc was definitely an upgrade from what I had. I started with a 120a/2100kv Turnigy combo. Not sure the 4 thousand number for the motor. I threw the box away. It was for 1/8th scale and rated 2-4s li-po battery. I noticed the 120a esc getting pretty hot when running 4s, but after a nasty rollover crash at high speed it started smoking and burned out. The new 150a esc and motor seem to run well together and temps are good so far with 4s. I'm new to brushless, but for a fairly heavy truck like the MGT running 4s, what would be an ideal kv for the motor?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:32 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks man! The Hobbywing esc was definitely an upgrade from what I had. I started with a 120a/2100kv Turnigy combo. Not sure the 4 thousand number for the motor. I threw the box away. It was for 1/8th scale and rated 2-4s li-po battery. I noticed the 120a esc getting pretty hot when running 4s, but after a nasty rollover crash at high speed it started smoking and burned out. The new 150a esc and motor seem to run well together and temps are good so far with 4s. I'm new to brushless, but for a fairly heavy truck like the MGT running 4s, what would be an ideal kv for the motor?
The 4270, 4274 number I posted earlier is the diameter and length of motor (42x70mm and 42x74mm). If unsure of what motor to use, you could find a similar sized RTR RC platform and check out the specs on the gear. Me, I'm not much of a monster truck dude. The thought is working on me though, but I'd probably go with a monster truggy (longer chassis) type platform. And for those, I see a lot of 4274 sized 2000-ish kV motors being use.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Vmax911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very cool to see this thread, thanks for keeping it updated. I've recently brought my MGT out of storage, and am planningon doing a brushless conversion as well. Did you get the conversion for the center diff from eBay? That's the one I just ordered, so I may have some questions for you
Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post
Very cool to see this thread, thanks for keeping it updated. I've recently brought my MGT out of storage, and am planningon doing a brushless conversion as well. Did you get the conversion for the center diff from eBay? That's the one I just ordered, so I may have some questions for you
Yes, I got the center diff mount from the guy on ebay and copied his conversion. It's a well machined, quality piece. He has some threads floating around the internet with his conversion It's simple, clean and efficient. I did the simple dog bone conversion for center diff to front/rear diff. His is a little fancier, but I have ran 25+ 4s packs and there is little wear in tear in that area. I got some new MX38 Badlands this past week. Strapped them with braided fishing line. No ballooning and the handling is great for such a big tire. These tires are HUGE and easily the best bashing tires I have used. Unfortunately, yesterday my driving wasn't up to par and I destroyed my rear GPM shock mount. So back to the plastic stocker I go. The rear shock tower and body post mounts are my weakness right now. I need to jimmy up some kind of roll bar or protection in that area. Here's some pics of my truck as it sits now

https://pix.sfly.com/kUAO3j
https://pix.sfly.com/JGB4OU
https://pix.sfly.com/8aKnzO
twisted metal
https://pix.sfly.com/98u4Cs
Air Time at the BMX jumps
https://pix.sfly.com/hOG89e

Last edited by hilifemt; 05-06-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: fixed pics
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Vmax911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I got the center diff mount from the guy on ebay and copied his conversion. It's a well machined, quality piece. He has some threads floating around the internet with his conversion It's simple, clean and efficient. I did the simple dog bone conversion for center diff to front/rear diff. His is a little fancier, but I have ran 25+ 4s packs and there is little wear in tear in that area. I got some new MX38 Badlands this past week. Strapped them with braided fishing line. No ballooning and the handling is great for such a big tire. These tires are HUGE and easily the best bashing tires I have used. Unfortunately, yesterday my driving wasn't up to par and I destroyed my rear GPM shock mount. So back to the plastic stocker I go. The rear shock tower and body post mounts are my weakness right now. I need to jimmy up some kind of roll bar or protection in that area. Here's some pics of my truck as it sits now
I've got the diff mount, motor and ESC all inbound on the slow boat. I'm planning on picking up a Nitro RC8 center diff, as it also has the 46T Spur gear. The motor I have coming is 1800kv, so an 11 tooth pinion may be a good start.

I've been bashing the past few weeks as is (figure I would burn through this gallon of fuel before converting) and have broken an RPM arm, both body mounts, shock shafts, and a shock tower. I think the plastic has become brittle with age because I don't recall having this many parts break when it was new. Hopefully the lighter weight of the brushless conversion will be easier on the plastics.

Can you explain a little more regarding the braided fishing line and strapping? I'm guessing you are adhering something on the inside of the tires to prevent ballooning?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:04 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will say, most of my breakage is due to poor driving and crashing, haha. But the body mount posts are definitely the weak point of this truck if it flips hard. If you look at this pic, I wrapped 50 lb braided fishing line on the outside of the tires and super glued it lightly so the line all sticks together. This works well with the Badland MX38 due to the tread/knob pattern. I think it wouldn't be ideal on most tires though. I like it better than taping the inside of the tire, but like I said, may not work with most tires due to tread pattern. I've run about 15 packs with the fishing line strapping and it is holding up great. And the nice thing is, if it shreds or fails, I'll just wrap some more line and glue it.

https://pix.sfly.com/sCM_GO
Old 05-27-2018, 06:48 AM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I rebuilt most of the truck and sad to say I am selling it. It's so beautiful and clean right now. Wish I could keep it as a shelf queen and for high speed road runs but I need to sell it to fund my other basher, haha.

Team Associated Monster GT MGT Brushless ROLLER! Many Extras! | eBay