Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Monster GT anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
rexrw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monster GT anyone have one?

I traded a Robitronic Protos 1/8 buggy and a HPI RS4 for this truck. Both of my cars together didn't cost what this truck did new, plus this truck has tons of trick upgrades. It simply rocks. This is the first truck I have had and I love it. I just want more power and I will be set. I am used to the power my buggy had (.28 Axial) and want some power like that in this truck. Should I upgrade to the .28 and get a tuned pipe? What if I just did a tuned pipe on the stock .21? I want something that is a noticeable difference from the power I have now. Who has the .28 and is it worth it?

Just found a leak in the gas tank tonight. I am sure it is the stock tank that is in it, can I upgrade to a bigger tank with more capacity?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
rexrw

Are the Integy shocks that are on my truck good shocks or are there better ones? I think the oil needs changed in them because they don't rebound that well. I have never changed the oil out in shocks but know it is easy, what kind of oil should I use to get good rebound or are my Integy shocks junk?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Snaut Rocket

ALmost everybody on here has the .28
For a tuned pipe get the lst2 and header you can get really cheap off ebay.
For a upgradable engine you can get the 4.6 or i would advise is the Lrp spec 3 .28[8D]
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
rexrw

Would this engine work in my truck? Axial .32 Spec 1S Engine My truck has the original .21 but I want big. Will this Axial engine work/fit?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I've have problems with my axial. Well, I fixed them but the carb just doesn't seem right.

For the best bang for your buck, Picco .28 or LRP Spec 3, both around $180 but with a $20-$25 coupon, it works nicely.

But yes, that will fit without a hitch, but I don't recommend it, expecially because it is a 3 needle engine (HSN, LSN, MSN) complicating tuning as compared to a 2-needle engine (LSN, HSN).

And as for your shocks, they are, unfortunately worse than stock shocks. No doubt about it. They are low on oil becuase it all LEAKED out![X(] You'd be better off getting some stockers off ebay. Sorry... And for the fuel tank, pretty much the only tank that will fit is the MGT tank, but you may find an airplane tank at your LHS that might fit. You can even have two of them!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
rexrw

I picked up a new fuel tank today at Hobby Bench and installed it, good to go. I didn't know that the Integy shocks were such crap, that is what came on the truck when I got it, they look cool but I guess that is it. Are the stock shocks as good as any aftermarket ones that are out there? I decided to go with the LRP spec 3 - if I get the one from Towerhobbies that is a non pull start does it come ready to use with my drill like on my current .21? I really like the shaft/drill start and want a LRP spec with a shaft/drill start.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Coadster67

You can swap it with the LRP, i believe its a direct fit, but only with the pull start version.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
rexrw

So I can pull the drill start adapter off my .21 and swap it onto the .28 LRP spec as long as I get the pull start version and just pull off the pull start? What pipe/manifold set up do you guys recommend for the .28?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Coadster67

Recommend either the Jp3 or 4 OR cheaper but almost as good alternative LST2 pipe/header. and yes about the drill start question. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 PM
rexrw

This pipe? the Ofna Jammin' JP3 Off-Road Inline Tuned Pipe.
For 1/8 scale

Is it a direct fit onto the .28 spec?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Yup, should be. All .21 and up pipes fit all big block engines. That is an expensive pipe though, I love my HPI ribbed pipe, but it's is LOUD!!! Like Coadster said, a $20 LST2 pipe will be fine.

And for the engine, make SURE you get the pullstart version.

Sounds like you're getting into a great start! Glad to have you here.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
rexrw

Where can I check out the LST 2 pipe, who makes it? It is only 20 bucks? Is it a tuned pipe?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Snaut Rocket

Made by teamlosi and find it on ebay.
Hey guys im having a tuning prob.
When i give my truck gas and let it hit 2 gear, i let off the throttle to slow it down. And then it goes really lean before it slows down.
And when i Flipp it, its like im holding the pin down all the way. The tires start to balloon and every thing.Could my idle be set to high or is it somthing with the linkage.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM
docphysics

That's wierd Snauty!!!!!!! I had the EXACT same problem this past weekend making this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3J7GwVQ4IQ

Listen to it go way lean at 1:35 and 4:06 in the vid.

I haven't solved the problem yet. I just figured I had a small air leak, so I am going to replace all fuel lines and re-seal the carb and back plate, see if it still does it. If you figure something else out, lemme know!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Snaut Rocket

Yours sounded like the low speed needle was to lean.
Thats not how mine sounded like, well sorta like that but worse.
When Mine flipped over it just Whent WOT like it lost connection either though i was only 10 feet away.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Snaut Rocket

I'll post a vid tomarrow of what mine sounds like.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Elite_Tux487

I have the same exact problem with my mgt...It also has that chattery kind of idle that docphysics had in his video. I notice engine going lean on deceleration especially on pavement, its like it want's to keep going.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Snaut Rocket

Thats exactly whats happening to mine.
Except it happen before and all I had to do was richen the low speedle
Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 AM
legine

Does anyone know what the stock gear ratio's are.......since its a 2-speed gearbox im hoping that i can get both 1st and 2nd gear ratio's.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Bria1

For the stock MGT 4.6 running a 16 tooth clutch bell and 52 tooth spur, the manual shows 26.43:1 for 1st and 18.28:1 for 2nd.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM
legine

Thankyou very much bria1 thats exactly what i wanted
Jee thats slow gearing.
Great bottom end pull but not enough top speed.

Thanks again, Daniel
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Bria1

That's to off set the big tires that come with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
easyrabbit

Here is mine... I love it... Still can not get parts from Associated but plenty on eBay. They will start flowing in soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orrp2zb6UhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hoenTirV0

Aloha,

M

PS: I just realized how old this thread is LMAO
Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 PM
rexrw

Can someone please help!! Ran the truck today for 1 tank, ran great. Filled it up again ran it through half a tank then I noticed it was not acting right, only the back wheels were spinning. Now the front wheels aren't spinning, they turn and what not but they are not getting power. I do not know all the technical terms for parts so forgive me. The shaft is connected to the front end and the big black box=gear box? Everything looks tight from the outside and just visual inspection. With the truck off and the front wheels off the ground, when I spin them the shaft spins so so, not constantly like it is slipping. When I hold the bag tires off the ground and spin them the shaft to the gear box from the wheels spins solid and along with the wheels - there is no slack so to speak. Is there a problem where the shaft connects to the gear box (black box in center of the truck) ? Do I need to look inside there? How hard is it to take that out and inspect the internals? Anyone else have this problem ever?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: rexrw

Can someone please help!! Ran the truck today for 1 tank, ran great. Filled it up again ran it through half a tank then I noticed it was not acting right, only the back wheels were spinning. Now the front wheels aren't spinning, they turn and what not but they are not getting power. I do not know all the technical terms for parts so forgive me. The shaft is connected to the front end and the big black box=gear box? Everything looks tight from the outside and just visual inspection. With the truck off and the front wheels off the ground, when I spin them the shaft spins so so, not constantly like it is slipping. When I hold the bag tires off the ground and spin them the shaft to the gear box from the wheels spins solid and along with the wheels - there is no slack so to speak. Is there a problem where the shaft connects to the gear box (black box in center of the truck) ? Do I need to look inside there? How hard is it to take that out and inspect the internals? Anyone else have this problem ever?
I actually have the exact same problem but have not had time to look at it. When I do I will try to upate this thread. I put about 25 tanks of gas through before it happened tho :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.