Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Monster GT anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monster GT anyone have one?

Thanks I have a hitec 645 mg that I am going to swap in it...133 oz/ torque instead of 108.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
docphysics

the number of teeth on the spline is different for each servo, so you will need a new servo saver, or adapter.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I recommend this servo.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRT1

Almost 200oz for $5 more.

Also, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXS361&P=ML]this[/link] will fit your servo, is stronger than the stock servo horn, and is acutally a servo saver. So is the stock one, but it sucks and costs much more.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:10 AM
scottywilkes

well race day was today, not a hiccup from the MGT, ive resorted to not bothering with the grub screws in the centre CVDs anymore, the pins ive just heatshrinked in there.

Worked great for about 2 hours of running

So yeah, finished 3 finals and the A main, the MGT stalled out for no reason after a jump in the amain, i rushed and started it but by that time i had lost 2 laps, so throughout the race i hammered through the track, finishing in 2nd 30 seconds down, not bad for being out for 2 laps lol. All in all im very happy, the stock arms have way to much droop in them though, so RPM arms will help massivly. Got my self a 9mm sportwerks carby to put on the SH to, so that should liven it up a bit from the stock 6mm mach carby.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Hardin Valley Magic

ORIGINAL: Evader -> MGT

I recommend this servo.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRT1

Almost 200oz for $5 more.

Also, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXS361&P=ML]this[/link] will fit your servo, is stronger than the stock servo horn, and is acutally a servo saver. So is the stock one, but it sucks and costs much more.
Thanks I'll run what I got till I save up enough for those pieces...
Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Wow, yeah that'll help the engine a ton!

What size heatshrink did you use? I've been having the problem of losing grub screws wayyyy to much too. GRRRRR

I've gone through a pack in like a month! With locktite![:@]
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
scottywilkes

yeah, my front one is good, havnt had a problem, the original grub screw and pin are still in there, i recently got a new rear centre CVD, and the grub screw was always working its self out, even with redlocktight and taping out all the old threadlock.

The Heatshrink im using is from work, its a high strength automotive heatshrink from wurth, once shrunk it goes hard enough, but not to hard so it has some slight flexibility, awesome stuff. So yeah, dont have to worry about them dam fins anymore lol.

Im hunting down some 40 series velocity 23mm rims and foams so i can try out my bowties on the track, see if it helps with stability at all. And ive got some RPM arms coming, as mine are stuffed so i resorted to using the stockers lol.

I originally had a ported 9mm SH carby on it, but that developed a nice gauge in the carb body where the slide slides, so it had a habbit of leaning out at idle and increasing idle or stalling, it went like a rapped ape though. So il be happy to get a larger carby back on the ported SH28 prospec, as the porting comes to life when it can breathe properly
Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Dirty South Racing

Well, I've been wanting a m/t for awhile now and finally broke down and got one. After much researching and the fact that everyone around here runs a Savage, I decided on the MGT 4.60 SE, which I got yesterday and as I type I'm installing the foc, rpm a-arms all the way around, and after reading the last few posts heat shrinking the pins in the center cvds, while I have the tranny out. Anyway just wanted to thank everyone for the usefull info in this thread.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Snaut Rocket

Your lucky they stated all that in this page of you would of spent some hours looking through the other pages.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM
scottywilkes

no worries mate, its a great truck, but like most, it has a few flaws, personally the biggest in my opinion is the transmission, the reverse mechanism is just way to sloppy, and the hard hitting while running takes its toll on the gears, pins, shafts and OWB, once i got rid of the reverse im still on the same OWB, ive managed to strip a few gears, snap a few shafts etc, but the track, and how i drive dosnt help that either LOL

Heatshrinking the pins is a good idea, saves alot of frustration from something so small ruining your day.

Id suggest cutting a small strip of heatsrink and heatshrinking the grub pin that holes the blue cup onto the transmission, and heatshrinking the silver pin that holds the centre CVD to the blue cup. Also another place is the diff cups, what the centre CVD goes into at the diff ends, it has the same type of grub shaft as the blue cups, heatshrink them in and your good to go.

Also another cheap and easy mod is to shim your diffs, they have some slop in them from the factory, not alot, but enough, after a while this will eat at your ring and pinion teeth and eventually u will strip the diff.

Heres a link on how to do it
http://www.monstergt.com/articles/tr..._diff_shim.php

Also heres a link to the proper instilation of the FOC, the directions that come with the FOC are wrong.
http://www.monstergt.com/articles/transmission_foc.php

Hope that helps mate
Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Cool! Sorry you have to install all that stuff right off the bat (extra costs...), but it's hugely worth it in the long run!

Hope you have fun breaking it in!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Dirty South Racing

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

Your lucky they stated all that in this page of you would of spent some hours looking through the other pages.
I read all the pages, I have no life LOL. I just like to know as much as possible about anything I'm going to buy.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Dirty South Racing

ORIGINAL: scottywilkes

no worries mate, its a great truck, but like most, it has a few flaws, personally the biggest in my opinion is the transmission, the reverse mechanism is just way to sloppy, and the hard hitting while running takes its toll on the gears, pins, shafts and OWB, once i got rid of the reverse im still on the same OWB, ive managed to strip a few gears, snap a few shafts etc, but the track, and how i drive dosnt help that either LOL

Heatshrinking the pins is a good idea, saves alot of frustration from something so small ruining your day.

Id suggest cutting a small strip of heatsrink and heatshrinking the grub pin that holes the blue cup onto the transmission, and heatshrinking the silver pin that holds the centre CVD to the blue cup. Also another place is the diff cups, what the centre CVD goes into at the diff ends, it has the same type of grub shaft as the blue cups, heatshrink them in and your good to go.

Also another cheap and easy mod is to shim your diffs, they have some slop in them from the factory, not alot, but enough, after a while this will eat at your ring and pinion teeth and eventually u will strip the diff.

Heres a link on how to do it
http://www.monstergt.com/articles/tr..._diff_shim.php

Also heres a link to the proper instilation of the FOC, the directions that come with the FOC are wrong.
http://www.monstergt.com/articles/transmission_foc.php

Hope that helps mate
Thanks, but I figured out the instructions were wrong the second time I tried to put the tranny back together.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

LMAO!!! All this heatshrinking to hit home today for my brother.. He has been trying to get his tranny to shift right. It shifted correctly (finally). And the front wheels were spinning like all heck.. The rears were along for the roll...lol So he lost the pin and grub screw that holds everything together. So now it is time for a new set.
As for mine, the only conplaint I have after a week of giving this thing a hard time, is the wheel nuts back them selves off just enough to wobble. So I keep retightening them. I guess its time for new lock nuts. Man this thing is great. Plenty off tumbles, flips, only thing that broke has been a rear turnbuckle when I slid sideways into a curb after a fun spped run across a parking lot showing off. My fix was OFNA ends on a set of traxxas shafts. They are a lot thicker!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Double nut the wheels. Put an extra nut behind the stock one and it'll never loosen.

The traxxas turnbuckles are thicker! A friend used them temporarily, but if you could tell us if they bend or not after some use (the stock ones bend like butter), that'd be awesome!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

Well lets see... Broke it on Wednesday night went straight to LHS. Run it every night since at least 2 tanks a day, as of right now it is now even bowed at all.. LOL! 3 days and counting.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Evader ---> MGT

What kinda running you doing? I might have to invest in these if they last like Lunsfords since they're way cheaper.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

ORIGINAL: Evader -> MGT

What kinda running you doing? I might have to invest in these if they last like Lunsfords since they're way cheaper.
Well it gets run at our "custom" back yard beast of a track. The jump will send it about 5 feet in the air and the other small jumps are about 2-3 foot jumps. I have landed on every single side of this thing. Lawn darted it a bunch, landed staight on the rear wheels,each, and it has cartwheeled many times. And still no bends. That was just today. Yup I gotta get better at landing.
Here are a few pics of our track. The camper top flat top is now gone so it is a heck of a jump. circle back through and there are 2 whoops. On the back stretch is a jump, on the long front there are two jumps like whoops but if not hit right it will cause a front flip...We run this track in the clockwise direction.
Also the last pic is a Toyota climbing the hill we go down to the track. I ran my MGT up that today. That was a sight to see!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25728.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	942936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28349.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	942937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85351.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	942938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79288.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	942939  
Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Evader ---> MGT

lol, looks like that camper top could do some damage if you hit it![X(]
Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

I hit it with my evader a got pizzzzed. So we moved it and now you jump where it WAS at!!! BIG AIR!! (for us newbies) LMAO!! What is real cool is today, I would jump the big jump land on the rears and carry them to the hairpin turn and jump the bank we made for the turn. Land in the grassy spot and hit the wide turn and do it again!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Yeah, I love doing that with my burms too. We wanted to keep them nice, but it's too fun to jump them!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Dirty South Racing

Didn't want to read back through all the posts, so what is the best replacement glow plug?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
docphysics

OS 8's work great!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Snaut Rocket

at a gallon and a half and im still on the same os 8
Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Elite_Tux487

Well.. I broke a few parts today..bad ass bashing session btw. I found a nice abandoned construction site with 15 foot high jumps. Ill post pics of the carnage later. So far that I can see I broke, front and rear lower a arms, bent shock shaft, broken body post, bent turnbuckle, some how the exhaust got caught into the fly wheel or clutch bell and it ate it and sliced a small gouge at the end and started pulling one side off. That just ended up blowing oil ALL over the truck. I ran the truck for 5 tanks with just half a lower A arm up front on the left and one shock on one that left side. For the body posts..I guess tower is out of stock, are there any other substitutions that will fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.