Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

sweet, another more power for mmgt thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet, another more power for mmgt thread

so quick break down on me. i've been in and out of rc for about 4yrs now, and started with nitro. it was good fun, but when 18th scale was such the in thing, i jumped into that and fell inlove with lithium batts, and brushless motors. i then went on and converted several 1/10 and 1/8th scalers into monsters. i decided to give nitro another try since its been a while, and a neighbor just picked up a savage x. smart choice on my part was ofcourse mmgt at towers rediculas price.

onto now. breakin and tuning is done and the truck is keeping my happy very nicely. but like all my other rc's, i will and do want to get more out of it. i know this truck isn't built to handle loads of powerr, and there isn't aftermarket support to get you there. so im looking at keeping it nitro, but weighing my options here. one thing thats crossed my mind was the trx 3.3 is a few short mods from fitting, but better than that the new era bb kit seems like the better option.

now for your help. which is the more logical path to take, and also which engines should i be looking at for bb. i'm thinking i would like a high end screamer, as any bb should be a low end upgrade to get the front tires light. i'm looking cheap(@100-150$), not too much power that'll kill the drive train, and lots of speed, so high rpm, and also dead nuts reliable. i don't want tuning and running problems that'll cause me to convert it to brushless.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

Default RE: sweet, another more power for mmgt thread

I lived my MINI MGT great power with the stock engine, ya it could get a boost in power and i to thought of the 3.3 traxxas engine, i did read somewhere that somebody did but the 3.3 in the MMGT and it worked very well to.
As for the BB engine i would go with a .21 engine they tend to have more low end tourqe, seen a few that had the BB done to them and the went to using the 40 series tires to.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
tashspop

at first i was thinking .21's because they should have the upper end power i want, with out the gear shreading torque of the bigger engines. but after scouring ebay looking at chop shop engines i'm seeing some really nice deals on .26's and .28's out of rtr's.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM
scott36

truth be told tho i would go for the traxxas 3.3, my revo 3.3 is an animal.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
hondapride59
My Feedback: (2)

U can probably get a cheap used 3.3 on ebay and/or go for a big block later....I guess big block is the new thing in rc cars but if ur gonna go big block I wouldn't suggest a rtr engine...usually the os and other brands are much better tuned and power wise
Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: hondapride59

U can probably get a cheap used 3.3 on ebay and/or go for a big block later....I guess big block is the new thing in rc cars but if ur gonna go big block I wouldn't suggest a rtr engine...usually the os and other brands are much better tuned and power wise
You are totally wrong on rtr engines. There are some really good rtr engines out there that will easily hang with other name brands. The Losi 427, Sportwerks 21v2 and 26v2, losi 454, HPI F4.6 and the most bulletproof and ease of tune engine on the market the Thunder Tiger pro 28. The Sportwerks engines are very hard to beat for the price and power. Any SH engine will be a solid engine. Nothing wrong with rtr engines if you know what to look for . A Sportwerks 21v2 is a real screameer. Gobs of top end and great low end torque but not so much to worry about breaking a part every time you take off.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Barber420

I hope you enjoy rebuilding driveline parts a lot. I say this, becuase if you go BB in that MMGT you're gonna be blowing stuff apart all of the time. The diffs wear at a decent pace with the stock engine, if you put a BB in their you're going to turn your MMGT into a nightmare IMO. If you're looking for just a little more power, and that shouldn't destroy the driveline, than try and find a pipe that fits and will give you a little more oomph.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 AM
sonicj

a port job is a free power upgrade if you do it yourself. ported w/a new pipe would be a nice little bump in power without the cost or worries of a bb upgrade and/or drivetrain failure.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
tashspop

i haven't really read too much about drivetrain problems yet, so i assumed that it wouldn't be an issue as long as i don't put too much power through the truck.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
wht92lude

Speaking of pipes, what would be a good one to use? Has anyone changed the stock pipe on their mmgt?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
jbates14760

Right now I am using a pipe off a gt2, but I think I am going to a revo pipe this week. Pipe off the gt2 is to long and really isn't a good option for the factory engine and header setup. the revo pipes should be just about right in size.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Barber420

I guess they sell a Factory Team pipe and manifold, but I haven't seen one so I don't know what kind of improvements. As for the driveline, I've seen a rear diff go to pot after 40-50 runs on a bone stock MMGT so I highly doubt the drivetrain would hold up long at all to BB power.

SonicJ, what does a port job entail on a nitro engine? I know how to port match, port out, etc... a full scale car engine, but I'm not real familiar with two strokes. I'm guessing it's probably pretty easy, huh?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
sonicj

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm]this thread[/link] should cover everything you need to know about porting. it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. purdy interesting stuff imo!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Barber420

Thanks for posting the info. That looks ridiculously easy and sounds like it will actually provide a noticable enough difference to be worth doing! Maybe I should do this to the 8.0 I'm getting next week? NAAHHHHH, that thing already has way too much power!! Good to know in the future though, maybe I can save myself $40 and buy a slightly less powerful engine and just port it to get the performance I want, that sounds good!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
tashspop

well, i've ordered the bb new era kit, so now i'm just watching for ebay deals. also, i've put on a tuned pipe i had for an old school rc10gt back in the day, but it didn't really do much for power. i thought about porting a polishing, but this motor will do until i get the upgrade in. i don't think a pp job will give me what i want, and then i'll possible make a tempermental motor and still get the upgrade later on.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
tashspop

well, i've ordered the bb new era kit, so now i'm just watching for ebay deals. also, i've put on a tuned pipe i had for an old school rc10gt back in the day, but it didn't really do much for power. i thought about porting a polishing, but this motor will do until i get the upgrade in. i don't think a pp job will give me what i want, and then i'll possible make a tempermental motor and still get the upgrade later on.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
CranKitUP

Barber420 u r WRONG about the MMGT drivetrain. It WILL handle the power of a bb engine very well. I now a few ppl that have it and they have had NO problems so far. Its all about how u drive it!!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Barber420

Experienced drivers who are kind of babying their car would probably do just fine with a BB, but less experienced drivers and/or if you're actually driving the trucks to its handling/jumping/speed limits will probably toast the drivetrain with a BB kit. Do whatever you want, I'm just giving fair warning that the stock powerplant is powerful enough to hurt the drivetrain already.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM
scott36

I have to 2nd what Barber420 that the stock motor is more then enough power for the mini MGT , buuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttt if you must then go ahead with a BB or try and find a hi end small block to put in the truck
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
CranKitUP

Ive had my MMGT since it was first released last year. I beat the snot out of it every chance i get and THE TRUCK IS VERY DURABLE. Ive gone thru 2 engines, the stocker (gets boring after awhile) and an OS 18cvr (prefect match for this truck). Now i have a bb Axial .32 .... (waaay overkill!!..but i got it for a real good price $80 new). When i first change to the OS, i brought all drivetrain parts that i thought may break (tranny, spur gears, center driveshaft, dog bones, and diffs). To my surprise everything held up. The only problem i had with the drivetrain was with the rear diff, which was giving problems since the first week i got the truck.... with the stock engine. After i shimmed the diff using this guide ( http://www.monstergt.com/articles/tr..._diff_shim.php ) i havent had any problems. The drivetrain is strong....the tranny is all metal and the only dog bone i broke was from jumping. I also had a 2 friends that have Axial .28 and they havent had any drivetrain problems...so 2 weeks ago i got the new era conversion kit and made the switch. I have to admit that its way too much power for this truck, but its fun has hell and nothing broke in so far...

I have both MGTs..AND i like the mini more...durable, handles better, and FUN AS HELL!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

Well I took the plunge as well and bought the bb kit from new era........... I will be putting in either the axial .28 engine or the ofna force .26.........
Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
tashspop

i thought about the axial's, because they'er so cheap, but i just can't help but imagine it would be torque overkill in this thing. i guess i can do some research and find a good mid range-top range pipe to tame the bottem end a bit and keep the low speed on the rich side.

anybody know about the GO engines?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
CranKitUP

I know i shouldnt be......but i use the stock MMGT pipe for my Axial....helps tame the low end torque.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM
tashspop

so do you get 2nd gear shift wheelies and better top speed out of the axial? i was thinking a higher toothed cb with a bb would do the trick.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM
sonicj

how would the stock engine from the 4.6 se do in this truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.