Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
dabull24
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting

Does anyone have any trouble starting their mgt 3.0? Sometimes it starts second pull, other times, not at all, very sporadic. Sometimes the only way I can get to start is if I remove the glow plug and air filter, flip it over for 5 minutes, sometimes then it does not start. Could this be a symptom of an air leak? I pulled off the air filter and removed the fuel line from tank, blew into it and I am getting air escape from the end of the crankcase/shaft. Is this normal?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 PM
breezerboat

Default RE: Trouble starting

try holding it nose down for a minute or two if it doesn't start. be sure fuel is in the carb. then give it like 20 really fast pulls. In out in out in out really fast and it will suck the gas in and start. Or if the pull start cord is a little tight. loosen the glow plug just BARELY. Then start it. be sure to tighten the plup after it starts.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
twomanytoys

Do you prime the carb before starting? You have to prime the carb and lines prior to starting.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
wht92lude

Pinch the blue exhaust deflector and give it a couple of pull to prime the engine. After the engine is primed it should start right up. When you blow in the fuel line is the air escaping from the fron or back of the engine?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM
dabull24

Right near the fly wheel. I always prime my engine before I start it...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM
wht92lude

So the air leak is coming from the front bearing? Is it coming from the inner bearing race( along the crankshaft) or from the outer bearing race ( along the edge of the crank case)? Sounds to me like you need a new front bearing. How bad is the air leak, and how old is the engine? Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to help.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
dabull24

I can hear a lot of air coming out when I blow into it. ITs got to be a big leak. How would I access that?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

the carb is right near the flywheel too... did you seal the engine & carb? if you hear air, thats a problem! pull the motor and find the source.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
wht92lude

If it's coming from the front bearing, then that would need to beb replaced. If it is, however coming from the carb youll nedd to seal the engine with RTV gasket maker. You'll want to get sensor safe, high temp silicone, the copper colored tube. Here's a link for reference. What you wanna do is, put a little of that around the carb throat(NOT TO MUCH), just enough to seal it. also, youll want to seal the backplate of the motor as well, just to be sure. Heres another link for the sealing process.

[link=http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm]Gasket Maker [/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCBIdSVxNH4]Sealing video[/link]
Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
dabull24

Thanks so much for the help...Is there a tutorial on how to remove the AE engine anywhere?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
wht92lude

you mean remove it from the truck?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
dabull24

Isnt that what I need to do to replace the front bearing?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM
wht92lude

yes you will need to remove the engine from the truck. To do this you will need to take off the lexan gear cover. Then undo the throttle linkage, I just take the arm right by the carb off and take the linkage out of it, then put it back in place. So the linkage will be hanging off the carb , and none of your trims are out of line. Then you will undo the setscrew on the muffler, it's tiny, and located where the wire hanger is on the exhaust. Now flip the truck over, and undo the four mount screws( 2 of them are under the skidplate, but there is access holes in the skidplate)the motor should fall right out. I have no prior experience with removing the bearings fro mthe engine, someone else will have to chime in on this.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
dabull24

Thanks so much for the info. I really hope this fixes the problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
wht92lude

no problem, and if you need anything else all the info you could ever want is right here. good luck