Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Team Associated - Monster GT
Reload this Page >

How To Change MGT 8.0 Clutch Shoes - w/ Pics & Part #'s

Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

How To Change MGT 8.0 Clutch Shoes - w/ Pics & Part #'s

Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
DJMEDiC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Change MGT 8.0 Clutch Shoes - w/ Pics & Part #'s

** The following Information is advice only. I am not affiliated with Team Associated or any of its associates. I am a User just like you, and I would like to share my experience. I hope it helps you enjoy your hobby. Have Fun!

Here’s how to check the clutch shoes

To get your clutch bell off.... remove the bearing holder of your spur gear... It has 3 screws you must undo under the chassis. Once you get your spur gear off... use an Allen key to get your clutch bell housing screw removed. Then your bell housing will slide right off, as you pull it toward you.

You are “supposed” to trim your clutch shoes over few runs... As they melt over time (they are aluminum)...they get a "lip" forming along the edges of the shoe. That lip must be cut down or it causes an uneven melt, and degradation to the bell housing.

It can be a mess....but as long as you do your maintenance you should be OK.

Make sure to clean the inside of the bell AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Almost want to dremel it out evenly. If you have no dremel... a straight edge razor blade will help get the melted shoes off of the bell housing.

An Example of Worn Clutch Shoes and Flywheel Shim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2238502

[B]Here is a look at what NEW MGT 8.0 Clutch Shoes look like for a comparison[B]

One of the things you will notice is that the shoes are held in place by tensioned springs.

Don’t be intimidated by them. Here’s a few pointers…

One of the things you will have to consider is that the springs are under pressure - and they are tiny - ...and will be difficult to find in the carpet, or on the warehouse floor, or stuck in a rogue potted plant. Be careful when removing them as they tend to want to fly in any direction.

If you do lose one, don't sweat it. I believe the size of the stiffer spring is 1.1 mm. They are cheap to replace - (only a few dollars if one is lost).

To remove them just use a small hooked pick, or some type of small screw driver. Try to get your body over the work area in case a spring snaps free, hopefully your shirt will catch it. Sweep the floor B4 you do the job to save yourself some sanity later on

(** Note - Behind the shoes is a Flywheel / Clutch shim. Make sure to check this to see if it needs replacing.. [($1.00) small plastic white shim] This is a frictionless barrier between your clutch mounts and clutch shoes. If its bent, or damaged...switch it out, while the shoes have been removed)

When putting the springs back on, be sure to place one side in... hold it with your finger as an anchor, and simply stretch the other side of the spring into place.

After an attempt or two, you will be surprised at how easy it was to do this job.

Here are the items suggested for repair:

** Straight from the Team Associated Online list

1) 25737 Clutch Springs, 1.1mm (stiffer) (4)

2) 25720 Clutch Shoes (4)

3) 25722 Flywheel Shim

Step By Step

1) Remove Spur Gear / Bearing holder
2) Remove Spur Gear
3) Remove Clutch Bell Housing
4) Remove Clutch Springs
5) Remove Clutch Shoes
6) Remove the Flywheel Shim

Follow steps 6 to 1 to complete the reconstruction of your clutch setup

Switch the word "Remove".. with the word "Replace, or Attach".. lol

Good Luck!!