Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Cantillator Metrics

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Cantillator Metrics

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cantillator Metrics

Pros
Stability in Pitch- Step function improvement, 10-15 % increase
Stability in Roll- Step function improvement, 10-12% increase
Stability during roll entry and exit, 5% increase
Stability during and after stall turn- 20% increase
Stability leading up to a Spin entry 5-7% increase
Stability during rolling loops and circles- 3%-5% increase
Amount of up rudder- to up-elevator mix- 2% decrease
Slower speed on down-lines 3% decrease
25% less rudder deflection needed during point rolls (but see stall turn below); from more lift of center of fuselage.
75% less wiggle during entry and exit of rolling maneuvers, and correspondingly reduced fuselage deflection during rolling maneuvers. (fuselage deflection with respect-to-track of aircraft)

Cons
Drag to top of aircraft during maneuvers- 1% increase resulting in 1/4 degree additional down thrust required, and 3% more down elevator to low throttle mix on down lines (at 67% offset)
Additional rudder inputs needed for stall turns- 15% or more, particularly near center-stick.
Additional rudder needed during first 15% of rudder stick movement during rolling
25% more throttle-to-rudder mix during down lines (an additional 2 % mix) and 1/4 degree more right thrust on up lines required.
More control inputs during rolling loops and circles (as a result of less fuselage deflection with respect to track of aircraft) This was most surprising.

All findings are preliminary.

Don
Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 AM
propnuter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cantillator Metrics

Hi Don,

Have you set your canaliser at -0.5deg relative to stab 0deg and wing +0.5deg ??
CPLR sets his at -0.5deg however i have heard that quique sets his at +0.5deg.

Shane
Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Don Szczur

I've got it at neg .5 degrees currently.

An update. Overall airpseed decreases for more constant sequence speed. After checking carefully again, no change in right thrust. Only a very little additional down thrust required (very little change). It really is small. Only about 3 beeps of down elevator trim with it on. I'm really surprised at the pitch and roll stability increase.

Setting the cantilator at pos .5 degrees may be all it needs. Since its behind the center of gravity, pos incidence should act to negate the slight pitch trim change.

All the best,
Don
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM
PATTERNPATTERN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi has any body got a clever example how to mount this wing on the model so it is removalble. I have seen BPLR's carbon rods with screw to hold it in place but again this means drilling holes. I would like to have the base taped to the fuz permently to ensure constant alignment and in away that I don't have to drill or glue anything. Then have an attachment mechanisim for the remain top part of the wing so I can remove it for transport.

Also suggestions on what material to use as the base would be helpful, aswell as any tip or advice in measurement design of the wing etc...........

Thanks you for your help.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Don Szczur

Yes tried one at +.5 degrees and it took the elevator trim out. It trims like an elevator- positive incidence is the same effect as down elevator trim. Favorable results.

I use a smart level to adjust. It's precision is to .1 degree. Plus or minus a few degrees seems to be in the range. Since the Brio does not have a flat surface anywhere, I"m in the process of laying out a glass base plate- would prefer CF as its stiffer. The vertical piece is light ply and horizontal wing is 1/16 balsa. I glassed the first two but believe the glass weave will need to be straight across otherwise it warps with each temperature change. Bare balsa so far has no warping.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Don Szczur

Wind tunnel is next test, pre-ceded by newest software simulation for aerodynamics.