Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Snapping out

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Snapping out

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:59 PM
BobbyRichardson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapping out

Don I have a wildhare 28% Edge with a DA 50. My problem is when I pull into a wall to enter a hover the planes tends to want to snap out. Do I have too much elevator?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Snapping out

Well, it may be that you don't have enough elevator, or you are coming in to it too fast. What is your elevator deflection in degees (If you can measure that)?

If it is snapping one way consistently, add in a few clicks of rudder trim in the opposite direction. For example, if it is pulling (snapping) to the left, add in some right rudder trim (leave it in all the time). Also, come in slow as I mentioned above, and add a momentary throttle burst with the up elevator input. The prop blast will keep air on the stab and vertical fin, helping to stabilize things. It will also magnify the elevator input (prop blast making the elvator more responsive). Remember, just a short prop blast as you jam in the elevator.

Try these and let me know if it helps. I found that the Edge 540 design does not do the wall as well as an Extra, or Cap (I believe the Cap is the best). Why? The wing is high on the fuselage and there is not much rudder area below the thrust line. Therefore the wing blankets the vertical stab during maneuver such as the wall.

In any case, try what I describe above and let me know how it goes.

Don

P.S. I also think the Edge does the best torque rolls of the designs I mentioned, for the same reason (the wing and stab are close to the thrust line).
Old 10-16-2004, 10:25 PM
BobbyRichardson

Thanks Don

I will measure the degees in the elevator tomorrow ( around 45 I think) and get back with you. I will also try a blast over the surfaces as I apply elevator to get to vertical.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Don Szczur

Make sure to add in a few clicks of rudder. There is an article I did for the Funtana. My .40 size Funtana did the same thing until I put in the rudder trim. Then it behaved very well in a pop up.

Don
Old 10-16-2004, 10:34 PM
BobbyRichardson

Do you mean a few clicks on rudder on the rudder trim?

By the way how do you trim your rudder?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Don Szczur

Use the trim lever. You may need to re-trim the ailerons in upright normal cruise speed.

Also, as a sanity check, look at your elevator defection to make sure they are both the same.

Best of luck,

Don
Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 PM
BobbyRichardson

The extra prop blast worked great. Thanks for the tip and thanks for coming on board.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Don Szczur

You're very welcome. Best of luck with your 3D'n.