Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Restarting in Pattern after years away

Hi Don

After taking the almost 10 years off from flying and building my business to the point it will sustain the R/C habit I've decided to re-join the pattern wars. When I stoped flying pattern in the early 90's I was flying a Python with a 1.20AC in Masters (Just a few contests after moving up) when work and new kids just kind of killed my desire to spend the time required to stay current. So here I am now with the desire again . I have a Prophecy that I built about 5 years ago with the same 1.20AC in it thats locked up from sitting Fuse is probably warped now too. I've decided to try to free the engine up and replace the batteries and see if the old girl will still fly. I've not been completely dormant as I fly my buddies Focus once in awhile just barn storming but not any type of patterns. I intend to rejoin the NSRCA , tried today but thier online email was down. I was thinking I'd build a new Brio once they become available with a 1.40DZ and replace my aging PCM 10. I will drop back to Advance if the AMA rules will allow me to. A few questions if you don't mind, are jr 4721's still viable servo's for the larger 2 meter ships? Do I really need the most up to date ( insert whatever the latest new fangled equipment of the month is) to rejoin the wars? Does one really need the latest and greatest batteries with 6v and all that sort of stuff to be competative in today's lower classes or is it still pretty much "Keep up with the jone's" because everyone else does? When I quit flying I felt that most fliers could not even come close to flying the airplane anywhere near the airframes potential and were always looking towards the newest gadget to improve thier flying when what they really needed was to get a good coach and a drum of fuel. Am I off base here or not? We're not that far apart and it's likely will meet up at a contest sooner or later. Thanks for your time you spend here.
    Be a kid forever, fly models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Restarting in Pattern after years away

Wow, you inspire me. I took "off" about 5 years during the mid-to-late '80s to finish off college and get started on my own (I had discovered girls too, which were generally not all that impressed with the planes). In fact, I got back into pattern to get over an old girlfriend... I soon met my wife-to-be and she has been, lets say quite supportive. With respect to family, I figure I'd have thrown in the towel already if it were not for my son. He seems to be quite interested in model airplanes. In fact, I'm getting a bit tired of listening to repeats from the last TOC and past Masters videos. Trivia- did you know Mike McConville flew the last flight of the last TOC? I think I'm going to turn the TV off before I go crazy.

Well, I guess my point to all this is you can take time off and come back competitively. While I took time off, Chip Hyde was busy winning the NATS and World Championships. Looking forward from the late '80's I'd never had dreamed that I would ACTUALLY win the NATS. It took a while, but it shows that no matter how long you take off or how you are flying, you can do it!

Equipment. JR radio. This is good equipment. The 4721 is still a viable servo. I used them on my rudders for years. The 8411SA is the one to get if you want to upgrade. Its stronger and has a very tight gear train for the larger planes flying aggressive maneuvers. I was using the 7005 low profile servos in the wings forever, it seems. I switched to the 9411SA for the ailerons this season and I feel as though I've got more precise control. I can feel this during loop segments. The holding power seems to keep the wings more locked-in.

For batteries, I recommend the Li Ion or NiCd. I recently had a bad experience with NiMH, but it may have just been a bad pack that I bought at a local hobby shop. I'm using Duralite Li Ion batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Don

Since I've been out of pattern so long the advent of digital servo's has happened, having no experience with these servo's is it ok to mix them with coreless servo's? Would it be ok to use a coreless servo on throttle and digitals on ailerons and elev/rudder? Thanks for your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure. Digital servos operate the same as traditional servos; they just have stronger holding torque and overall more torque for their weight. The rx does not know if you are using digitals on the rudder and analogs on the ailerons, for example.

Best of flying.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prophecy is not a bad flying plane. I came accross a picture of one I had recently.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1194

See Ya,
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well my 120AC has finally been retired to the spot old engines go under the workbench. After removal and a careful inspection the parts list cost = not worth fixing. So I have a few questions about this new 140FZ I have if you don't mind.

1. Same header and muffler ok from the AC?

2. What size prop should I try on this engine in a Prophecy

3. Any things I need to watch out for on this engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never run an FZ, so I can't comment on it too much. I understand it runs very well though, and since its pressurized, the setup and operation is similar to the 120 AC in that respect. I have used the DZ very successfully over the past 3 years. Prop size would be a little less pitch than a DZ version. Check out the pattern link and search for threads on this FZ engine.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1.40 FZ... APC 16x10. You can spend a fortune on different sizes/pitches/wide blade variants plus all the extra time or you can trust somebody that already has.
    BR blabla

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don why do you usr the 8411SA over the regular 8411?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that the 8411SA is a little tighter in the gear train, particularly over time. It has got a little more precision around neutral as a result, and I'm not too worried about stripping the gear (flying it on a pattern plane application).

Realize I've flown the straight 8411 on the rudder and elevator til just this year (since I had them) and they do work quite well.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After taking the almost 10 years off from flying and building my business to the point it will sustain the R/C habit I've decided to re-join the pattern wars.
    Welcome back and I am sorry to poach on DonΒ΄s turf. I sometimes have the feeling I need a complete break from Pattern flying, after 6 years, to concentrate more time to my business, family and house projects that need to be attended to. A lot of people I used to fly with five years ago have taken a break to concentrate on other things. Although I have cut back on Pattern flying a lot during the past couple of years, I still find it a wonderful antidote to the pressures of life and something I still want to do, although perhaps not quite as obsessively as I once did :-) As you have probably found, there are more options availble to the Pattern flyer now than ever before and endless discussions, here and elsewhere, on which is "best". I fly Advanced class and am still learning all the time. Friends tell me my flying is improving all the time and the scores reflect that, although I donΒ΄t get to compete much. Personally I prefer OS 140RX, 2C engines and Typhoon-Tempest-Temptation hybrid planes. I hope to get a Piedmont Brio next year. I still want to get to the Nats (all the way from Mexico City!) before IΒ΄m done. Hope to see you there!!!!
    Rodney