Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Tensor 4D Aerobatics Aircraft

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Tensor 4D Aerobatics Aircraft

Old 02-20-2005, 11:11 PM
GordonFreeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tensor 4D Aerobatics Aircraft

Just got my Tensor together and went out in the dark and flew it for a couple minutes! Stupid, but successful. It almost seemed like the CG was WAY too far forward, it seemed to be flying too fast and needed up elevator. Maybe the elevator was off. I have the CG at 2.375 from the front edge of the top wing.

My experience with bigger 3D planes is that the CG would be from 1/3 to 1/2 wing chord (including aileron) from the front edge of the wing. Roughly a bit forward of the middle of the wing. Most of my bigger 3D planes sort of loaf along (near stall) with a nose up attitude. (almost an automatic harrier).

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

GordonFreeman,
Your avitar is my all time favorite. Thats FUNNY!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:00 PM
GordonFreeman

Yea, it took me awhile to find a reverse prop. It's hard to see but there is a small fan blowing over the tail for control during this manuver. Naw just kidding, a li'l work in CorelDraw and...Tada! Thanks, everyonce in a while I get a comment on it. Now sure how many actually notice what is going on...

Oh...it's dead calm out, I think I'm gonna give it another fly.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Devin McGrath

how about some up thrust like it says in the instructions thats what mine needed.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:23 AM
GordonFreeman

I don't think the Tensor specifies up-thrust. Is that what people are doing with the Tensor?

Flew it more today with the CG back to 2.5, it seemed ok. Maybe I'm just expecting it to fly (not harrier) slower before stall. It's pretty fun so far, I have a small open field about 200'x200' with pines all around. It's pretty neat if I get into a bind and can't quite get it turned around before the wall of trees I just go vertical!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Devin McGrath

i believe the instructions state that the tensor may need some up thrust and mine did and it corrected the problem that you are having
Old 03-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I discovered a few things that were extremely interesting this evening. First, I test flew another gentleman's Tensor, and I was astonished how differently it flew. I did not put the rear braces in around the vertical and horizontal stabs. The one I test flew tonight did have them. It had an enormuosly different flight charactreristic. The yaw was so strong that I could just about turn it tighter doing a rudder only (wings level) turn than if the wings were banked then using the elevator. It was either the braces or a longer rudder servo arm. My tensor without the tail braces flew more conventionally (like regular planes respond with rudder input) however, the extra yaw authority permitted some very different maneuves to be flown.

The other thing which I discovered is how much the Tensor came alive when flying indoors. Tonight I flew as part of the Hobby Hangar fly-in (indoor). It was at the Sterling Sports Arena and basically an indoor sports field. The floor was nice and soft, like astro-turf, and there was netting all around the sides and ceiling which helped protect the models. The plane flew absolutely like a dream. The light weight (I tried a thunder-power 730 two-cell Lipo and it really made a big difference in the performance (being almost an ounce lighter). It was a total blast.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Don,
I'm in the process of putting my second one together. A few flights in 10 to 12 MPH winds with stronger gusts and I have about 2 oz. of extra glue on her. When I have a plane sitting there, just calling my name, I need to fly it!
I found that trying to use ailerons to turn was a waste of time. I think the side force generators keep it from rolling easily at slow speeds. I found that by using rudder only, it flew sweet. Harrier figure 8's were as simple as normal flight, rudder only, high alpha and have fun.
My first one wasn't totally shot yet and I went and bought another, this time with the Park 370 outrunner to replace the HiMaxx, just for a comparison.

I love this thing. Oh yeah, when your flying in the garage, don't try to go inverted over the garage door opener. It looks like there's enough room, but it's pretty tight

Ken
Old 03-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Don Szczur

Its interesting. I flew one that had the aileron linkages stock per plansand it flew as you described. Mine turns fine on ailerons, and the rudder is not nearly the same effect. I have the alerons tied together as descibed earlier in this post, which may be a reason- don't know for sure. Are your ailerons connected per instructions, or did you give it extensions out the TE of each and tie them together (to give equal up and down for both ailerons)?

Don
Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Don Szczur

I think if I put a second one together I'd get the thinnest mylar packing tape or hynge tape stuff on both fuselage sides from in back of the motor area to about mid fuselage between the wings and the stab. And some more on the top of the wing center section in front of the ailerons. I also read somewhere that someone put thread "flying wires" all around which gave it a lot of strength, although I'd hate to get stuck in that stuff when launching or catching the plane. The key is to keep it light, maybe sacrifice a half ounce or less.

I've put another quarter ounce of CA on it since its been new, mostly in the weak areas under the top wing, behind the wing vetically through the servo cutouts, where the landing gear crosses through the fuselage and (after a nose first splat), where the cF rods stick through the wings, and around the engine mount plate. The front end seems really tough. I was torque rolling right up to the ceiling net, let the prop hub touch the ceiling, reduce the throttle, then let it tail slide down about 20 feet before it would flip over. Did this a few times, but at 11:30 at night went into brain lock (do I push out or pull out). Neither- nose first straight in. Really, flying indoors is like the flight simulator.

Flying outside? Its tough when landing, and half throttle just to keep it from blowing away. Indoors- its absolutely in a class by itself.

I went to a small cell (760mA battery) which took another ounce off the weight. It had even better performance. I think due to a higher thrust to weight ratio. I could tell a big difference.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

I did say my ailerons were a waste of time, not totally, just not as effective as my other 3D planes. I put them together as per the instructions on George's forum, the improved way. I think I may try your way this time around, I like the zip tie trick.
I'm thinking about a little extra carbon fiber down the length of the fuse in 2 spots, near the top and botton, we'll see.

I've been too busy to work on it right now, I have to get this counter top job off my airplane building table

Ken