Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Dual rates VS triple rates

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Dual rates VS triple rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
JuanSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual rates VS triple rates

Hi Don!
Some weeks ago I asked you about your radio setup and you tell me that you use a single 3 position switch:

Down= precision rates
Medium= snaps and spins
Up= 3d rates

I use dual rates on different 2 position switches for each surface (rudder, elev and ailerons) with low rate for precision, snap, spins, etc and high rate for 3d flight. The problem with that is that I have too much travel for precision, but I need this throw for snaps and spins.
Because that, I like your setup, the problem I find is that it's easy that you make a mistake when you change the switch because it's not 2 positions but 3. Example: you are in precision rates and you want 3d rates. Have you ever make a mistake and you have put the switch on the mid position (snap and spin) and you thinking that you were at 3d rates? this is my fear about this setup

Do you think I should change or not?

THanks
Old 04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Dual rates VS triple rates

Actually, for the JR10X, I use 5 rates for my TOC/ IMAC plane. The first rate is low rate for normal flying. The second for snaps, the third for one roll circles (low with high rate rudder), (my memory may serve me by having changed this so have the second and third rates itentical at high rate). I can then go back to low rate, then the (back switch thrown forward) is still to low rate, 4th is 3D rate and 5th is an identical 3D rate. I do this in case I hit the switch twice for the same reason you mentioned, I'm still in 3D whether I'm in the 4th or 5th rate.

On my 9303 JR transmitter, I'm using two rates so far. The second and third rates are identical, for the same reason above. I am doing this on my pattern plane, which I don't have set up for 3D (not yet at least). Are you using this transmitter model?

For this reason I think the 10X is more capable, not a big surprise there. However, I am getting used to the 3 position switch on the 9303, and if you continue to fly yours you will become more familar with it also.

Here is something somewhat out of the noramal relm, but if you are fearful about going to 3D rate when you don't want to. Screw a small strap into the transmitter so that when the strap is in position, it limits the switch (physical throw). Normally you don't need 3D rates during regular seqence flying. Then, for your freestyle flight, you can simply move the strap out of the way and have physical access to all three rates. You don't have to worry about hitting the switch to 3D rate when you are flying sequences at a competition, but sill have easy access to the 3D rate.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 AM
stek79

Hi Don,
sorry for the intrusion, I have a little question about slow rates for precision flight.

When I fly in a such configuration, I find that when I am at mid/full throttle I want slow rates (for example on ailerons) in order to do rolls with full stick applied. But when I am at log throttle or low speed, for example in the top of an Immelman or loop, I found that slow rates make the roll very slow, which is not desirable in a such situation.

So the question is: how to reach a constant roll rate at every speed? Perhaps with different fly setup based on throttle position? I hope this is not necessary, since my radio (FF8 futaba) doesn't support it!!!

Thank you in advance for your replies!!!

Bye
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have the same set-up with a 9C and I find that it is easy to know the switch position.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rates at the top of immelmans. This is interesting. I once had an experience where I used analog servos. I felt that these servos had more control authority at lower speeds and resulted in a more constant roll rate throughout the flight. Basically they were blowing back during high speed rolls, and were not, at slow speeds. I can also remember WAY back when I used to use dual rates (high) for the immelman (high rates to get a clean roll at the top). My plane was very underpowered and that is the way that I compensated. You may try this.

Don't be concerned about using rates. I use high rates at the bottom of the hour-glass (from a 45 degree downline, its a push 135 degrees to inverted) for extra elevator throw.

Now, I'm flying digital servos and really have not experienced as much (or at least feel it as much) aileron rate difference between maneuvers because the plane is flying at a much more constant speed. I am going about the same speed at the top of an immelman as at the bottom. Sometimes faster depending on the wind conditions and power.