Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM
JuanSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?

Hello

I'm flying a CAmodel 31% Extra 300L, with a ZDZ 80RV single and a MenzS 26x10 prop. I now that this prop is a good 3d prop, but what about to compete on IMAC?
I would like to know which prop I should use for IMAC sequences, and do 3d (though not so well like the menz26x10). 2/3 blade? which brand...?

By the way, I can torqueroll without problems my Extra, but many times it starts to rotate more quickly than normal. I can do the corrections, but I would like it to rotate not so quickly, because it's looks smother. Any suggestion about this?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?

Two things to stop a torque roll from rotating too fast. First is give it some throttle, pull up about 3 to 5 feet, or, forward a foot or two, then straighten it up and back it down again. Actually backing it down at the correct rate will offset the torque and not rotate at all. See the Don Lowe Masters or Ballet of sky video for illustration. I back it to the ground down to about 1 foot or less, and the plane is stationary for the duration. Then slowly starts torque rolling after its stationary for a few seconds. Backing down to the ground too fast will actually cause the plane to rotate to the right rather than left. Its easier torque rolling within 3 feet of the ground than 30 feet. The ground effect dampens the airframe, plus you tend to be more alert at a couple of feet or less from the ground than when you are higher.

Props- I moved to the 3 blade and stuck with it for both sequence and 3D (with the flip of a switch on the Tx). It took a while to get used to the 3 blade, and the waterfalls are not as tight, nor the spins as flat, but it gets the job done and saves practice time rather than changing props, cg, etc every other flight. Its a faster speed, more consistent in the wind, at least witht the Composite ARF.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Don Szczur

I'm using air models 3 blade. Actually, you can see picture at left for illustration. The plane is backed down from about 10 feet ( entered from an inverted harrier).

Cheers and best of luck.

Don
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 AM
JuanSG

Thank you Don, I'll watch the Don Lowe Master videos. Could you suggest me any prop for my engine better than the menz 26x10 for IMAC?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Don Szczur

Check the lists- I'm thinking a 25x something three blade Air Models, or even a two blade Mejlick. Again, check around. I liked the Menz 26x10 when I was running that size engine class in the past, but it was noisy.

Don
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 AM
JuanSG

I was thinking on a Mejzlik 2 blade 24x12, or the equivalent 3 blade (which I don't know which one is [&:]) What do you think?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Don Szczur

Its apples to oranges, but I tried a Mejlik 28x10 on a Quadra 100, and found the prop to be quite efficient at the transition. I leaped out of torque rolls but was touchy on the low throttle transiton. I preferred the Menz 26x10.

For RPM comparisons, I was turning 6900 rpm on the 26x10 Menz.

Suggest posting your question regarding the 3 blade recommendation on the IMAC forum, for an answer to your questions will surly be posted quickly there.

Don
Old 05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
JuanSG

Thank you very much Don.

I'll try the Mejzlik 3 blade 24x10 prop.

Thanks for your help!