Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

How to check the aileron differential?

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

How to check the aileron differential?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:57 PM
JuanSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check the aileron differential?

Hello Don!

I saw that you use negative aileron differential on your Fiber Classic (now Comp ARF) Extra.
This week I've maidened my new Colombo Anderson Extra 300L 31% (2360mm). Like the Comp ARF, it's top-hinged, so I think I'll need some negative aileron differential.
My question is: what procedure should I use for get the correct differential in my plan?

By the way, how do you usually setup your throttle curve (what procedure do you use?)?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: How to check the aileron differential?

Aileron differential. after setting up your rudder trim and engine thrust.

Start with about 4 degrees of negative differential. If I remember correctly, I've got 29 degrees down, and 25 degrees up. I-m just going on memory, check some of the other posts in the 3D or IMAC section for this. Fiber Classsics 40% Extra 330

Go vertically up, do a half roll, and see which way the nose points.

Go vertically up the exact same way, and do a half roll the other way, and see which way the nose points. if it points different ways both times, then adjust the negative differential. Remember the top aileron will drag the wing in the direction the nose is pointed, so add neg differential to the other wing to straighten.

Next go verically down and do the same thing. It helps having a helper to assist with this.

Let me know what you come up with, to compare notes. Its the hardest aspect of trimming.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing you want to consider first is engine thrust, Any up, or down thrust required will offset or overcome any differential required. Important to carefully set the engine thrust before conducting differential tests. I just did a test last night and found that positive or negative 20 percent expo on my new plane did little to help the vertical roll. Engine down thrust (just a little more needed) was the primary cause.

Don
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 AM
JuanSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for your help Don !