Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Spins and snaps (IMAC)

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Spins and snaps (IMAC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:13 PM
JuanSG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spins and snaps (IMAC)

Hello Don!

2 weeks ago I competed on my first F3M tournament (F3M is similar to IMAC in Europe). I placed 2nd on National Series (There is Basic, National and International). Since then I have been more interested in IMAC sequences (I used to fly only freestyle type maneuvers, low and slow 3D...)

I would like to master my spins. How should a 10 scored spin look like and how to do it? Mainly I would like to master the entry.

Another thing: Snap rolls. For positive snaps I've always done the same: On low-medium rates I push full elevator, then full left rudder and full left aileron. For negative, the same but crossing the sticks. I've read many times about the "break" of the snap, and that many pilots usually score zeros or bad scores on their snaps because not showing the "break". Could you help me a little about all this?

Here I attach the F3M National known sequence (which I'm flying and trying to master). Any advices are welcome

Thanks

Old 05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Spins and snaps (IMAC)

I like the sequence. It looks like your national sequence is a mild advance routine. I commend you for your talent! I would fly at your Basic level. You will hear a lot of opinions for snaps. Just remember that for both spins and snaps you have to see a break or deviation on the pitch attitude at the beginning of the maneuver.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Spin. A properly executed spin is very enjoyable to watch, and scores well. First the setup. As you approach the spin, you have to reserve elevator for the spin entry for proper "break". For example, if you come in with more and more elevator, gently putting it in as the plane slows down, one of two things will happen. Either the plane will settle in to a partly stalled condition, just like an elevator, of sorts, with the nose just wallowing and the plane losing altitude, it never really breaks then you have to force the entry. The other thing that could happen is one wing tip will suddenly drop out from under you (not good especially if you have a directional spin on some unknown maneuves). To solve the first, you have to have enough elevator throw in reserve to put the inputs like an exponential input. A little at first and as the plane slows down feed in more and more til the nose come up (without the airplane climbing). Now, the nose will drop sharply, but just a few inches, that is your defined entry and a perfect one, I might add. Add rudder (and aileron if needed) at this time. Christophe and Roland do this very consistently. Next is all pilot's preference. I like to come in with aileron and rudder simultaniously, and finish the spin reversing the order of taking things out (elevator, rudder, then aileron to get a precise exit attitude).

Now, what about that wing dropping? Its common on a plane for a wing to want to drop out of the spin before you are ready. I solve this by adding a flight mode switch for spins which will put some rudder in at low throttle. The Chip mix (left rudder with low throttle, right rudder with high throttle) may cause the plane to break to the left, for example. Adding a flight mode switch tied to "dual rate" to remove that mix for a spin entry helps, (if its breaking to the left).

Sounds like a great competition. Best of luck.

Don
Old 05-31-2005, 01:14 AM
JuanSG

Thanks Geistware and thanks Don.

About spins: I'll try them this week and I'll see which of the two cases is the mine. One thing I really don't know is how much travel of elevator I should setup for spins. I know that pattern planes usually set up the max travel possible, but for IMAC type planes, which have the max at 45ΒΊ, it would be a flat spin. So, how to know which travel is good?

About snaps: any tip, advice, explanation?

Thank you for all your time and help.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For 2 M, bury the sticks, adjust control throws for appropriate looking snap. For 3M planes, you have to unload them. Punch elevator first then as you release the elevator (some) put in the ailerons and rudder input, then take them out, rudder and elevator first then ailerons to complete a precise exit.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:42 AM
JuanSG

Ok, Thank you very much Don for your help and for share with us all your experience.

And good luck in your next tournaments!