Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Electric Focus 2

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Electric Focus 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Electric Focus 2

Don,

When Piedmont dropped their prices on the ARC Focus 2 I jumped at the chance to buy one... then after some thought, I called back and ordered another a few days later! The plan was to electrify the one, and have the other just as a back up left un built (not sure how long that will last). Anyway, I was wondering with your experience with the plane if you had any ideas to lighten the airframe? I had planned on using a carbon wing tube, but I'm having difficulty finding a 7/8" tube to use. Thought about changing the landing gear, and still might, but weight savings might cause a ground clearance issue as I'm planning for a 22" prop. Electrics need less bulk with the lack of vibration, so if need be I could remove quite a bit of wood and not hinder the integrity.

With your glow set ups, what weights did you come in at?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Tom
Old 06-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Electric Focus 2

I think mine is about 10 1/2 or 10 3/4, but you'll have to check the Focus post (toward the end) to find. Its a great flying plane. You will like it a lot. I can't think of many places to save weight, as its a fairly light frame as is. You can sand the wings, at least the bottoms til they loose some weight, possibly drill holes all around it, but If I were you I'd fly as is. In a couple months (or sooner) batteries will be several ounces lighter for the same power.

following address: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/FOCU...1431697/tm.htm

Don
Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

Thanks Don, and congrats on Romilly, a fantastic achievement even without a borrowed airplane...

I have the batteries and all the equipment except for the motor, still on back order... I am thinking about saving some weight with a lighter gear and wing tube. I can't seem to find a 7/8" carbon tube though. The nice thing about a wood airplane is the ability to 'hog' out some weight if it's going to be a problem... but in this case, you are right, there really isn't all that much to cut out or remove. I'll do what I can.

Looking forward to starting the project, but I just want to ensure that I come in under weight. I already have made my battery investment, not willing to plunk down another paycheck for the 'latest and greatest' quite yet.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:51 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radio South sells a 7/8" carbon wing tube.

I just finished a Focus 2 with a YS140L and hatori pipe. I used esd landing gear sold by Central hobbies. This landing gear is a little lighter than the Bolly gear but is also more fragile. It came it at a hair under 10 lbs without wheel pants.

I cut out some of the canopy floor and also drilled a hole in the firewall and the motor box sides that extend into the fuselage. The firewall/motor box area is pretty beefy and so is a good place to trim a little weight.

I made the servo mounting beams from 1/8" nomex/carbon and they came out at 1-2 g each.

John Tarpinian

Old 08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

I ended up with carbon tubes from Precision Aero Composites and they came out about half the weight. Also, the aluminum tube was a bear to slide in and out of the wings and the fuse. Spent hours trying to sand out the tubes for a better fit, but it only got slightly better. The carbon tube slid in perfectly! Upon further inspection, the aluminum tube was bent a few thousandths and that was the culprit.

Ten pounds? Wow... I'm hoping for an all up weight of 10.5, and should be able to get there. Lighter gear, carbon tubes, and removing some excess wood. Progress has stalled due to a heat wave of 100+ degrees for almost two months... just too hot to work on it!

There is a lot of beef in the nose that can come out, and I removed the sheeting on the bottom fuse as well. This was mainly to set up the elevator rods... but will likely stay off.