Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

Hi Don
    Can you tell me how can I start my Ys 160 DZ in one touch on the first time of the flying day.
    I use the hemostat method on the supply fuel line.
    I found that it's better to dry the engine after the last flight so it will not contain amount of oil that is hard to get rid of on the first start of the next flying day. (The nitro and the methanol vaporize).
    I refuel the plane with the hemostat on.
    After the first start I can start the engine in one touch.
    Isaac Najary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

The starting of the first time is dependent on fuel pump prime. I have done different techniques, to include opening the throttle all the way, closing the throttle all the way with the glow starter disconnected (perhaps to act as a bit of a butterfly) to prime the pump, with mixed results. The first start is difficult more so if the temperature is below 60 degrees F.

3 steps I use:

A good 12 V lead acid battery
    A good hot glow igniter
    Hold the starter on the engine even after the engine starts to first fire, for approximately 10 seconds.

This technique worked well at the NATS. I did have engine flood once on the second start of the day, but used clamp to close the line between the first and second flight of the day and it solved the problem on later flights.

All the best!

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,

I never prime the DZ in fear of flooding the engine, I just let the engine spin and it will eventually start.

My biggest problem is the backfiring during start up after the first flight, I actually broke a cam gear once.

Since then, I have installed a Heliproz fuel shut off clip on the fuse's exposed fuel line. I usually start the engine with the kill switch on, and the clip clamped shut. As soon as the engine started, I release the kill switch and the fuel clip. I am getting a time delay glow driver from Japan, that should solve the problem.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes thats an excellent piece of equipment. Andrew suggested a similar technique by holding the starter on then pushing the button as the starter is turning. I've never had that hard of a kick, but the torque starter works as a bit of a dampening effect, perhaps.

Best of luck.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It seems like the 160 is a bit more forgiving than the 140.

The broken cam is actually from the 140 DZ.

Adrian