Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Focus II ARC

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Focus II ARC

Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
farmergregg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus II ARC

Hello....Is the all balsa fusealage on the ARC strong enough to just cover with monokote, or should I cover it with glass cloth and paint it? I used to use superpoxy paint. I guess that is long gone now. Can you recommend a product? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Focus II ARC

The ARF's are all monokote. My flying buddy has 2 Focus 1's both std Peidmont ARF's and they hold up well and believe me he doesn't take care of his planes.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the airframe is very strong and regular iron-on covering is adequate with regards to strength. I'm flying the ARF, and the ARC that was covered. Both look great.

Don
Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

My preference with ARC's is to glass and paint the fuselage. KlassKote is a new line of epoxy paints, very similar to and in fact compatible with Superpoxy. I've used it just once so far, but had no problems with it, and will use it again. It gives a nice finish, and stands up to the nitro. KlassKote has been advertising in Model Aviation, and they have a website that should come up on Google.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Don Szczur

I've been looking for some paint that can hold up to the 30% nitro. Do you think this will do it? What colors does it come in?

Don
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 AM
majortom-RCU

I've got one season flying 30% nitro with no degradation of the KlassKote finish. Colors are the basic primaries plus black and white--not a lot to select from unless you are willing to blend your own colors. Having spent many years mixing watercolors, I can tell you that you can waste a lot of paint just mixing by a few drops of this and that. It's too easy to lose patience and mix in too much of an added color. Every bit you add must be well blended before you add any more. I like a dark silhouette when looking at the plane side-on in the air, so I use mostly the straight blue for the fuselage, then vary the design just a bit with trim tape. On flying surfaces I'm inclined to use monokote. I am not a fan of the complex color schemes that are popular with ARFs and pattern birds these days. Two contrasting colors, one light, one dark, plus touches of black & white trim are easier to put on in the shop, easier to read in the air. One man's opinion.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Don Szczur

How close is the blue to the ARF color (the ultracote blue for the bottom of the cowl and belly pan)? Reason is the FOCUS I that I had (and sold) is looking for a new coat of paint (at least the person who bought it is looking to repaint it). That paint has pretty much completely bubbled up (looks all wrinkled and ready to peel off). That's after 4 years of nitro.

My Focus II is doing fine (just a couple of very little paint wrinkling up on the front edges of the belly pan) mainly because the pipe and header have always sealed quite well. However, my Focus 1 1/2 ARC started to bubble up quite a bit on the bottom of th cowl and bottom of the belly pan. It is painted in Monokote plum crazy color, however, so not sure that the KlassKote would help there.

Thanks for the info.

Don
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
majortom-RCU

So Don, I visited the website, http://klasskote.com/paint_store.html, and see they have expanded their color line considerably since I bought my first order. I have the Deep Blue, which to my eye looks darker than what they show on their website, but the hue is pretty close. Maybe a question of what color primer you're painting over, white or grey. Going by my eye, their Deep Blue is a little darker than Insignia Blue, but not as dark as Midnight Blue.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Don Szczur

Thanks. The prices are reasonable too.

Don
Old 02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
farmergregg

Thanks for inputs. Before you guys replied I managed to find Klass Kote on the net. I have glassed the fuse, primed, sanded it mostly all off, and shot it with just a dusting of white. Will sand, shoot some trim, and just dust the whole thing in clear. Have done this in the past with superpoxy and the models last forever. Yes, at a bit of a weight penalty. So far I like the Klass Kote....seems just the same as the old K&B superpoxy. I am having to mix, to match the monokote I used. Will update after finishing.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
farmergregg

Thanks, the Klass Kote is working beautifully!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:17 AM
farmergregg

Just an update on the Klass Kote. The Focus II ended up at 10 pounds 2 oz. dry with a DZ 160. I have been flying it all year now and still looks new.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Don Szczur

That really sounds great. I'm happy to hear how well it turned out. You'll have to post a picture as it must be beautiful.

Don