Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Designing a new high end radio

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Designing a new high end radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:50 PM
poriay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing a new high end radio

Hi my name is Brian, I am an Industrial Design student whoose current project is to design a high end radio for rc airplanes. The company I have chosen is Airtronics. What I am looking to do is design a radio theat can compete against the Futaba 14mz and the JR10x, and retail for around $1000. What I amtrying to do is get Airtronics back into the market. What I am hoping for is any suggestions reagrding the current shortcomings of radios and possible fixes for these, this can be in the ergonomics functionality, modularity, and interface interaction. Any suggestions that you feel that would make the ultimate radio for the enthusiast. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Brian
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Designing a new high end radio

Brian,

I can't speak on behalf of every pilot. In fact you will get differing opinons from anyone you ask. However, simplicity with capability is the key attributes for me. For example, a friend of mine just bought a 10X and asked me for some hints on how to use the radio. It took me 12 minutes to walk him through all but the most complicated setups. Basically you don't need a manual 90% of the time because its that easy to program. Its very intuitive. I don't care for having to take extra steps setting up switch assignments. I only use one switch on the whole radio when I fly. I guess you call it the KISS principal. In terms of functionality, however, I use a lot of functionality. I use the servo reverse, wing type (it has built in flaperon and dual elevators programmed in so you don't have to go through extra steps mixing); rudder to elevator and aileron mix are both on one function - and just three "beeps" to get to. I use four P-mixes, one multipoint for throttle-to-rudder, I use a throttle curve that I can set up while the engine is running (it stays at idle while you program a curve then simply enter key, and go back to idle stick and you can test the throttle curve real-time without turning off the engine). The dual-rate and expo are easy to setup with one function (that includes aileron, elevator and rudder). I use trim resolution, fail safe for low throttle if signal is lost so I don't kill someone if the plane looses signal. I use a down-timer. I've even used servo speed function in some circumstances. All-in all, that is it. But then there is the EXPO curve and the stick feel. This brand is the best feel that I have flown. It's very precise and smooth. Anyhow, my thoughts. These are the reasons I fly JR.

Don
Team JR