Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Servo centering tests

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Servo centering tests

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:41 PM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo centering tests

Hello Don! How are you?

Luckyly this is not a question about CG ... but about servos.

I've read an interesting post here on RCU about servo centering capabilities measurements, in particular how those capabilities get lost in time, due to servo pots and gears wear.

In my new plane I was planning to put some JR servos on alierons, but those servos have been used for about 3 years of weekend flying, in a mini F3A plane, with a 4 stroke engine. Puzzled by this measurements, I put a 8" music wire on a servo arm and run 9z servo test on them: actually, a quite evident slowdown near center was present. This is an indication of the need of pot replacement (this is a procedure suggested by Troy).

The question is: do you think this is a good test for servo pots replacement? Do you use a similar procedure? And what about gears?

That's it! Thank you very much for your time, as usual!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Servo centering tests

Stek,

I've changed servos in a pattern model...servos that were very worn, so here is my experience.

I had not noticed any adverse characteristics in the air. They slowly degraded over time. When I finally changed them out, where I noticed it was on the 8 point roll. That's were I had a lot easier time doing them on point precisely with new and/or refreshed servos. It sounds like it may be excellent advice from Troy to have them refreshed with new pots.

Don
Old 12-05-2005, 04:16 AM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo centering tests

I understand Don,

I think I'll start to fly my new pattern airplane with those servos and try to be critical about centering and stopping capabilities. Later I'll subsitute them, in order to try to feel the difference... if I can!

Thank you Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!