Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: servo arms

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

servo arms

Hi Don, just a quick question. When you set up your 40% Planes, how do you set up the servos and contol horns on the flying surfaces?
    Take a 1.25" servo arm... do you measure from the CENTER LINE of the control surface 1.25" up to the pivot point on the control horn? Or do you go a little more or less?
    Also, Do you adjust the ATV to 150% and adjust from there?
    Thanks fro the help!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: servo arms

I normally try to stay as close to 100 percent as possible on ATV. Depending on control surface throw it typically varies +- a few percent. Control surfaces are set up fairly standard, with the Rocket City (now Hangar 9) control linkages so I probably get a little more length than the servo arm side. I use dual rate for low and 3D rates. Also use 1 percent trim resolution which gives a fine enough trim for good solid pitch and roll, while still having 35 to 40 degrees throw on high rate.

Hope this helps you,
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Don,
    Just briefly...how do you set up the plane(trimming)
    1) Check right thrust on vertical uplines
    2) Rudder to elevator mix
    3) rudder to aileron mix
    4) fine tune them both
    5) Check for aileron differintial on 45 and vertical up and down lines
    6) Readjust steps 2 and 3
    Is this the proper sequence you would recomend on trimming a new aircraft?
    Thanks for the help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. straight and level trim, 3/4 throttle, ailerons, elevators. Very important. Hands off extended flight.
    2. vertical uplines pull from a right to left pass, and a left to right pass. If it comes in once and goes out next, trim with some rudder, then at the top of the line, if necessary engine thrust. Up, Down, Right or Left. You want hands off vertical uplines for reasonable distance up (normal up line).
    3. Vertical down lines. Throttle to elevator, and/or throttle to ailerons. Use #thr or ORIG, so the throttle trim does not impact the mix rate.
    4. Knife edge (rudder to ailerons and rudder to elevator) for reasonable knife edge.
    5. If necessary, multi-point mixing for one roll circles, extra rudder throw at the ends of the stick for instance, and 3D.

As usual, the rates and expo are adusted to give your preferred feel of the airplane.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Don for the info...On another note, Do you have another one of the Radiowave Extra300's comming your way. And if you dont mind, would you kind of highlight what you liked the most about the aircraft? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great reply Don!

Sorry for the intrusion, what do you mean for multi-point mix for rolling-circle? Once the KE is good, we should be fine... you mean point-mix for good KE at high deflection I guess!?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct. Best of flying!

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Xtra 330,

Regarding your question, yes, I have another Radiowave coming my way. As soon as the shipment of kits comes in to Radiowave, they will ship me one. I have the original prototype 300 coming back from Tucson which I'll have for the interim.

Highlights on what I like most about the airplane. It rolls extremely well. You know when you put rudder in during a point roll, either horizontal or vertical, planes often shift in the pitch during the roll: off axis. This makes rudder inputs during a point roll difficult. That's what I like the best. A close second is axial vertical rolls. The Radiowave Extra 300 is really outstanding. Think of it like this. You pull vertical and then do three half rolls. The plane, just with aileron inputs (and even with rudder corrections for wind) has a very axial presentation. You know you have to shift rudder direction at the completion of each half roll for crosswind correction, The plane allows for this input while presenting the roll very well on-line.

Don