Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Loop tracking

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Loop tracking

Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 AM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loop tracking

Hello Don,

recently I've read your article on horizon hobby site, "Three steps to 3D". If I can, I have two questions about the trimming procedure you suggest there. I preface that I'm interested to apply what follows to pattern planes, not 3D ones.

The questions are:

1) you suggest an interesting rudder trim procedure (that I didn't know): perform some loops and watch if the plane "rolls off"... here what do you mean precisely by "roll off"? I've always set my rudder trim on vertical uplines: this method is better? In an old post you said that you were used to set rudder trim on uplines: so, what do I (you) have to do if after setting it with the upline test, we perform some loops and we see that the plane don't track right? I did this test yesterday, with interesting results: if I set my trim for uplines, then the loops are a bit off towards the right: this is due to little left trim needed for spiraling I guess... If I do the opposite, i.e. I trim during loops, then I find that uplines are a bit off...

2) When the plane "rolls off" you also suggest to reduce elevator throw???

Thanks in advance for your HUGE help Don, as you always do. Happy new Year!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:39 AM
stek79

Default RE: Loop tracking

Errata corridge Don!

ORIGINAL: stek79

Hello Don,

recently I've read your article on horizon hobby site, "Three steps to 3D". If I can, I have two questions about the trimming procedure you suggest there. I preface that I'm interested to apply what follows to pattern planes, not 3D ones.

The questions are:

1) you suggest an interesting rudder trim procedure (that I didn't know): perform some loops and watch if the plane "rolls off"... here what do you mean precisely by "roll off"? I've always set my rudder trim on vertical uplines: this method is better? In an old post you said that you were used to set rudder trim on uplines: so, what do I (you) have to do if after setting it with the upline test, we perform some loops and we see that the plane don't track right? I did this test yesterday, with interesting results: if I set my trim for uplines, then the loops are a bit off towards the right: this is due to little [b]RIGHT[\b] trim needed for spiraling slipstream I guess... If I do the opposite, i.e. I trim during loops, then I find that uplines are a bit off...

2) When the plane "rolls off" you also suggest to reduce elevator throw???

Thanks in advance for your HUGE help Don, as you always do. Happy new Year!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is for 3D setup on the Funtana but also appllies to other 3D planes. Simply stated one wing stalls before the other, causing the plane to feel like you lost your ailerons (its actually doing a slow snap). This is when you are flying 3D, normally. What the rudder does is keeps that wing from stalling before the other one.

Now, for RC Pattern, this technique works well to keep the plane from "breaking" in a snap one direction. I would set it up on condidtion so when I go into a spin entry it pops in about 1/8 of rudder which makes the plane stall straight ahead) with no surprises on snap entry. The condition is off the other times, allowing no change to uplines for example.

Don
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 AM
stek79

Ok Don, thank you very much!!!!!!!!