Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker

Old 04-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker

I have a new tool in the box. It's called a Matchmaker. It's about the same size as a Matchbox but does a completely different function. Ever want to test your servos out to make sure they are ok? Ever want to change some aileron or stab servos without having to put the whole plane together and hook up for centering? This device is perfect for the job. It does the same function as the servo tester on the 10X but better- it allows you to do it with the wing or stab on the workbench rather than on the plane.

The Matchmaker has four slots. The first two slots are to test servos for any bad spots- for example, around neutral the pot tends to wear. I realized tonight when I was doing the rolling figure S that it was difficult keeping a constant roll rate during the rolling loops as part of F07. After testing the servos on the Matchmaker, it became obvious what the issue was (the resolution in one spot of the servo was off due to wear over the last year or so). You can also test up to two servos with the first two slots. There is a small knob that lets you adjust the speed of the servo. It will cycle back and forth very slow, or very fast depending where you turn the knob.

The other two slots on the Matchmaker are for centering. You can move the servo manually and there are three indents- one for neutral, one for one travel extreme and one for the other. That way you can set up a control surface without ever having to hook up to the fuselage (rx). The really nice thing is that you can put a piece of velco on to a 4.8v battery, and then just stick the Matchmaker to the battery. It's very compact in this configuration. It also lets you test/replace two servos quickly and simultaneously. Really helpful when you are at the field and want to match the servos without binding. With the wing off the plane its a lot easier this way.

Three steps. First plug in the servo to the matchmaker and set to neutral. Mark the aileron position with a small line as reference.

Second, plug an extension on the servo lead, take the servo out and unplug, and plug in a replacement servo. Tape the connector and pull the extension back through. Screw the new servo in place and its done. Plug the matchmaker into the new servo and set neutral. The Hanger 9 titanium rods are very nice. You don't have to disconnect a ball link. Just turn the pushrod a little with some pliers so the reference lines you draw on the aileron and wing trailing edge match up. Done!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51813.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	443157   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42547.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	443158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78587.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	443159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19390.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	443160  
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker

Where we can get the device?

Thanks

Vicente Bortone
Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 AM
lmisner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Don:

It sounds like the device is actually programming the center and end points of the servo, as can be done with Hitec servos and their programmer. Is this the case, or is something else going on?

Thanks,

Lonnie Misner
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Don Szczur

This device does not program the servos It (1) moves the servos similar to the servo test function (slowly cycles the servo from one extreme to the other) (2) lets you move the servo (same function as at transmitter stick) by using the small dial . I use this to keep the surface at center when setting up the linkage. and (3) tests sevo extremes. You know how hard it is to set up a linkage conventionally- reaching under the wing to make adjustments. You can do this conveniently. It nice because you don't have to dig out an rx, plug it in, and then find the transmitter to do all this. Its very compact. If someone is taking their wing out of their car, you can walk up, plug in the aileron and see how good the servo centering is, or check for a dirty pot, loose gear, etc. It's really handy. Here is another application. I was at the field tonight and a guy had an Alpha trainer. He tried to use a futaba servo arm (he 'made' it fit). Well, someone else had the frequency pin, so the matchmaker (it will be in the box from now on) would have been perfect to set up his aileron and be ready to fly. I would just be able to plug it in to find servo center (like one would do if turning on the tx to find out where the center is on the servo) hookup the JR servo arm I had spare in my flight box, tighen the servo screw and he would have his wing back on and ready to fire up once he got the frequency pin.

With respect to getting one, you should be able to purchase them at your local hobby shop,or at www.horizonhobby.com
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Don Szczur

Lonnie, send my regards to your wife and kids. I bet they are growing up soon!

I wonder what every happened to those Typhoons. I can still remember building them in your garage.

Take care,

Don
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Don Szczur

I found the link-

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...chmaker&CatId=