Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

incidence problem

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

incidence problem

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default incidence problem

Hi Don
I have a problem I need some help with. I have an Ultra RC Evolution (yes I know but I already have it) On the initial flights I had to put in a lot of left AIL trim to get straight and level flight . I assumed I had put some strange incidence in by mistake so I reset the wings again making shure they were both on zero as called for in the planes. The stab also still is setting on zero . This did not help in fact it is slightly worse. I also noticed that I am going to need some right thrust as the plane pull a lot to the left in the upline. These are the two biggest things most other basic trim areas look close it comes down pretty straight knife edge will need some mix for roll and pitch but not much at all .

Question 1) How does left or right thrust affect straight and level ( AIL ) trim

2) What else should I investigate before changing the incidence again( dont have adjusters by the way )

Thanks Kirk
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: incidence problem

check for twisted alierons sight down the ailerons to check for warpage
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
KGSS28

I have everything looks straight to me LE and TE are straight as are the ailerons themselves. I cant figure it out unless it just needs the wings adjusted to get the Ailerons to run in their boxes but I think that would require negative in the left and positive in the right to make it want to roll left so I can move the trim back to the right, I think, I might be wrong ?

Kirk
Old 04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

by chance is the hinging work all look straight also.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Engine thrust will not change aileron trim significantly.

Before you change the thrust put in 6 clicks of right rudder trim. Re-trim the ailerons for straight and level. Also carefully trim the plane for hands-off stright and level. It should fly most the length of the field straight and level with no roll or pitch changes at roughly 3/4 to 7/8 thottle, depending on your level cruise speed. Now check the up lines. If its still pulling left hard, make sure you fly left to right and pull up, then fly right to left and pull up. If it peels off to its left both times add in some right thrust.

Now also adjust up and down thrust at this time as well.

Next trim for straight down lines with throtle at idle. Put throttle to elevator mix in as appropriate. Use ORIG if you have a 10X or 9303 disable the throttle trim within the mix.

Finally, after all the above is done, fly stright and level and then cut the throttle, carefully watch which way it turns. If it turns to the left, add negative incidence to the left wing. Vice versa if it starts to to roll right as the plane slows down. You can add a bit of elevator in so it does not drop. Kind of like you are going in to a spin entry.

After you adjust incidence, and do all the above, see if the aileron trim is still off. If it is, and the plane flies straight in the above tests, don't worry about the aileron being off.

Don
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
KGSS28

Don Sorry I did not explain it well the main problem is all the left Aileron trim I am having to carry just to get straight and level flight.

I am talking about maby an 1/8 up and down out of the boxes. Can I just adjust each wing to bring the ailerons to even? That is after I put the adjusters in . Will this cause any other problems ? It just has to fly Sportsman. Everette and I are trying to figure this out.

Thanks For your time. Kirk

I just read your instructions again . Lets table this discussion until I can fly it again. I need to cut the throttle and see what it does.

I just wondered if I had a major problem of some sort I have had planes that carried a little trim but not like this .

Back soon Thanks Kirk
Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Don Szczur

Yes negative incidence in the left wing. That will force you to put right aileron trim back in (bringing it back to center, for example).

You can do the testing for low and high speed for exact trimming.

See, remember the cardinal rule- ailerons dominate at lower speed, wing dominates at higher speed. Thats the easy way to remember.

You and Everette go to some contests for a body count after these adjustments. Hope to see you on the Circuit sometime.

Don
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
KGSS28

Hay Don, sorry it took so long to get back to you about this problem. Here is what we found , a right wing warp that you cant see sighting down the wing but if you start inboard with the incidence meter and go out you will have 1/2 degree difference in root and tip increasing as you go out . So Everette and I have done a lot of adjusting and have gotten the ailerons in the boxes and have gotten the plane to lock on pretty well , it is very soft and friendly to fly and will pass most but not all of the basic trim test ,so far I have only flown it about 30 times so it may get better as we go and tinker with it. For Sportsman it will do just fine until I can pick up something better.
Thanks For your time, you and your teaching and information on this form and on the DVD have greatly improved my flying.

Thanks Kirk
PS We would love to come to your area do you have any contest that you will be at within a reasonable drive from Nashville?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Don Szczur

Glad to hear all turned out well. There is a contest in the fall planned for Greenville, SC which is going to be about 4 hour for you, maybe a little more depending on the trip through the mountains.

You are also welcome to come on up to VA (although its a bit of a hike) at Warrenton, VA in September.

All the best,

Don
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
KGSS28

Hay Don that sounds good are you talking about the Flying Tigers in Scranton SC contest in october? I am not finding on in Greenville .

Thanks Kirk
Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Don Szczur

Yes check the D2 website.
All the best,

Don