Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

NATS Report 2007

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

NATS Report 2007

Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NATS Report 2007

The conclusion of flying preparation for the NATS.

Its been a good run. 46 gallons vaporated from 10 March through 18 July. Chip concludes that converts in watt-hours to near his flying amount- 350 flights. 350 flights to keep current and mildly competitive. That does not count the 24 gallons burned between November and March to keep the thumbs from getting rusty over the winter. Quite a bit of flying.

We throw ourselves against the wall every 2 years in hopes of breaking into the USA team. To represent the United States of America. This year I got a good running start. The wall was hard and I hit head first. My head hurts. Andrew made it. As his dad told me, "go for the knockout". I think last time it was "go down swinging". Well he didn't go down this time and is now on the team, nearly leading it. The scores were tight. We have a good team going to Argentina.

Many new friends made, and re-acquainted with old ones at the NATS. Its a great opportunity to meet the best pilots in North America. First impressions-Brett is a gentleman and quiet. He can fly too. Talent and ability, coupled with desire.

This year we brought a student. Little Edwin ended up 6th in Intermediate but is coming on strong and most enthusiastic. Edwin has grown into a young man. His voice is changing and is getting taller by the month. He will be back, I expect, next year.

Jason won the NATS. My congratulations. A mere dB or so from 5th place. Passed the post-flight re-check. On the edge. Regardless, he deserved to win with that last flight. Incredible one roll circle to the inside (inverted entry). Stiff transmitter springs showed during the square veritical 8. His lines were right on. Best flight of all the flyers. Beyond comprehension. Overal comment is the FAI fliers perform the unknowns at or better than F07. Dave did not make the sound on his post-flight re-check and lost his first unknown score. He had a good flight. Strange but true. Prop noise is significant on our aircraft- on the ground at least. I still think an inflight sewing machine sound is quiet no matter what the dB. The only airplane I could not hear in the air was Chad's. His direct drive AXI type motor was very quiet by any standard.

Driving from the AMA site after finalists announced. I ended up 11th, I was told. Many thoughts go through one's mind in a situation like this. I wanted to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, reflect, and think about what to do for the rest of my life. The outcome was not mine. It was in the Lord's hands, and I acknowledged that. God has a sense of humor though and was not through quite yet.

A life modeling experience was next. Eating dinner, 3/4 through my 11 oz sirloin steak. It was good. I can still taste it. Chad comes up in the resauraunt. Wow they picked the unknowns pretty quick, I surmise. I am informed that I am now in 8th and in the finals. The feeling is like that in that movie "Top Gun", when they tell Mavrick he is in and going to that school. I immediately get up in the middle of a sentence while I was talking to the dinner group, leave a $20 bill to cover part of my meal. Joseph and I find ourselves driving directly to the farm house to compile the second unknown. Surreal. You will have to get the video to see the pilots meeting selecting the unknowns. Now you don't have to be there to experience it. Although I hope if you are reading this you will be inspired to fly pattern, go for it, and experience the NATS first hand. Finals, I guess, is the pinacle of the RC aerobatics F3A experience. I'm told that I'm part of the F3A finals tradition and folks were happy I made it there again. Strive for perfection. Shoot for the stars. You will make it too.

I can't sleep more than 4 hours at a time each night. It takes days, maybe weeks to recover from 4 hour nights the body becomes accustomed to during NATS week. No-one sleeps well during the competition. If they do they count themselves lucky. You go on adrenaline.

What ever happened to the rest of that steak? Dad ate it. He said it was good. Can't let a steak go to waste.

Well, enough random thoughts for the evening. Going to attempt to go back to sleep.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
jtec radiowave kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NATS Report 2007

Don,

Congradulations to you and all the contestants at the Nats, Heard you did some great flying also. Wish we could have been there, we heard it was great!! It does look like we have a great Team going to the world's this year,

Congradulations to Jason, QQ, and Andrew!!!!!!!

Al & Kevin
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Don Szczur

Thank you Kevin. My Radiowave beckons to be flown now that pattern is complete. NATS was an experience.

I loved hanging out at the intermediate line. Often get asked to help. Its really exciting to see these guys battling it out. So much changes and in many respects the playing field is very level. I know Ryan won it last year without winning a single round. I watch Gary put on a flight. I promised not to do that again as he got very nervous knowing I was watching. A loose wheel pant did not help. I went over out of sight on the last morning and watched and he flew much better. Ended up third. Intermediate pilots have such a wide open view- the world is ahead of them. Its really fun.

Also got to help Terry Darr. He was awarded with a JR shirt at the end of the preliminaries. His attitude and approch toward flying in competition changed by the end of the contest. I was really impressed by this tranformation of outlook. No matter what, you always have to stay positive.

Then there was downwiind Joey. It rubbed off on me because I flew my first F07 downwind in the finals. Was ready to try anything.

The Masters flyers had a huge class. Arch Stafford dominated throught the preliminaries but Glen Watson came through for the win in the finals. Only one pilot from all I judged in Masters did the Ice Cream cone like an Ice Cream Cone (starting in exiting at the center pole). I downgraded appropriately. Andrew and the other judge did not catch. Then another pilot confidently proclaimed that "because of the strong wind you have to fly really past center to get the spin centered". I whispered to him "you did not attend the judging triaining- it was articulated that the spin entry was at center- no downgrade for drift.

Bed time I'm told, signing out...

Team Sz.

Photo courtesy of Don Manson.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50311.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	730087  
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Don Szczur
Only one pilot from all I judged in Masters did the Ice Cream cone like an Ice Cream Cone (starting in exiting at the center pole). I downgraded appropriately.
I sure hope you're not talking about the reverse golf ball (or I do hope you're joking.)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Don Szczur

yes... Only one Masters pilot did it incorrectly from my line.

I'll give a plug for the NATS DVD that Rusty Dose is promoting. These guys were everywhere and it was some really nice equipment they filmed with. Looking forward to seein that.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

Phew...I thought you were saying just the opposite!

From Higher Plane Productions:

I spent all last week in Muncie filming the F3A NATS. A DVD set will release in about 8 weeks. As a little taste of the adventures we had I have posted a new film today. See it at:

[link=http://higherplaneproductions.com]higherplaneproductions[/link]
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Well done Don, I would have finished your steak toooooo . . wish I was there. A long way to travel from Oz . . maybe one day ! !

Do you know where I can find the results ??

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/natsnews.aspx]AMA NATS News[/link]

[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/natspics.aspx]NATS media[/link]

[link=http://nsrca.org/competition/NsrcaNationals/2007/blog.htm]NSRCA NATS info[/link]

Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
grcourtney

Don

Thanks for the complement it was a real pleasure to see you on the intermediate line this year and last. I do always seem to have a so so flight when you are around but the real problem is the guy moving the sticks and I welcome your presence any time I fly. You will probably never here me say I am completely satified with any of my flights I sure I am not the only one that feels that way. Look forward to seeing you in Huntsville next time your here, watching you fly and just being around you (a complete gentlemen) is inspiring and makes me want to go burn 10 more cases. I hope Joseph has fun with the stick plane Lamar gave him even though its been crashed a few times.

gary
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Thanks, Glen . .

Well done too, by the way . . can't get much better than 1st

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 08-02-2007, 06:10 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Don Szczur

Only one pilot from all I judged in Masters did the Ice Cream cone like an Ice Cream Cone (starting in exiting at the center pole). I downgraded appropriately. Andrew and the other judge did not catch.

Don,

Curious to know which Masters maneuver you are referring to. If it is maneuver #10 "Reverse Golf Ball" the AMA rule book defines the center as the middle of the crossover of the 45 degrees lines.

Here is the quote from the AMA rule book….

Reverse Golf Ball from top, with ½ rolls:
Model pushes through one eight (1/8) outside loop to a 45 degree dive, on this 45 degree dive model performs a half (1/2) roll, then pulls three quarters (3/4) inside loop to a 45 degree climb, on this 45 degree climb the performs a half (1/2) roll, then pushes one eighth (1/8) outside loop to recover in upright straight flight at the same altitude. Center of this maneuver is the middle crossover of the 45 degree lines.

Also here's the unofficial Aresti drawing of the Masters sequence constructed by Troy Newman who helped design the sequence.

Name:	Ig11832.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	734470  
Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Don Szczur

There was no crossover observed. The maneuver looked like an upside down ice cream cone, starting after center and finishing before center.

I'd make a suggestion to the rules for future cycle if one of these maneuvers is formed, define center as the center of the 45 lines (most fly it this way regardless).

Good flying Glen,

Don
Old 08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Don Szczur

You can relay on to Lamar that Joseph has remodeled his stick plane into something that suits his style- appears to have some air wild influence. I also believe he may be headed toward electric power...

Name:	Ge95490.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	735446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13981.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	735447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76592.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	735448  
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
grcourtney

very cool!!!

gary
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Don Szczur

Had very good experience with the velocity stack for smooth mid range and excellent control for the YS 170.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engine...r/velocity.htm