Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

9303 DSM

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 9303 DSM

Well, I've changed over to the 9303 DSM setup. It works well. Programming was very similar to the 9303 thread elsewhere in my forum (I believe 2005). I realized after 2 years I've gradually increased rudder throw and expo on the surfaces on the Brio. Interesting. I'm going back to less throw and triple-rate function modes for snaps and spins. The plane is flying smoother already.

Don
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9303 DSM

Interesting Don! If I can, I would like to go deeper in that issue...

I remember your suggestion in this great forum, regarding rudder throws, where you recommended to set it so that the plane "barely holds KE". Actually I've followed your suggestion over the last year with my F3A plane, with success I would say. These weeks I started to play again with the throws, trying to discover what kind of setup I will be most comfortable with.

I noticed the following behaviour. I've set up the rudder to hold the KE with about half throttle. This works really fine for slow rolls. But when I perform a four point roll, using about 3/4 throttle, I find it hard to modulate the rudder in order to keep a constant altitude during the first KE. I think the problem is that in the outer portion of the stick travel the servo movement is very non linear, due to the presence of expo (about 70-80%). So with little stick movement the rudder moves a lot. On the contrary, if I enter the manouver with less speed, then I have some difficulty to maintains the second KE - with full rudder throw, due to the speed decrease.

Don, can you suggest to me where I'm wrong?

Do you setup rudder throw to barely keep KE with FULL THROTTLE? Or less?

A huge thanks for your unique willingness....
Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Don Szczur

Every plane is different. Some require more rudder for knife edge, others less. I set my Brio up so its like 85 % expo. This give knife edge at about the same stick deflection as was in some of my past planes. The plane will do the knife edge loop but requires some multi-point mixing to get it to come around without crossing the sticks.

I flew an Edge 540 last weekend for a guy and noticed that on this design it pulls to the canopy at 1/4 stick to 1/2 stick deflection (like coming up the upside of a KE loop at full throttle), then at full deflection pulls to the belly really bad (like the back side of the KE loop, or entering a 3D knife edge flight).

So what do you do? One thing I do is try and fly at a constant speed throughout the flight when flying pattern. The constant speed gives the same feel around neutral at tops or bottoms of maneuvers. Yes there are anomolies and differing feels such as the KE loop and 1 1/2 snap to knife edge in the F09 sequence, but in general its a close feel throughout.

If you use less rudder on KE maneuves, use D/R for stall turns to make sure you have adequate rudder (and often aileron and elevator for additional control during the turn). Don't be afraid to use multi-point mixing as it helps reduce workload. The 9303 is really easy to set up in this fashion. I was showing a few guys last weekend how easy it is. Unfortunately the one with the Edge did not have a radio with mutli-point mixing but seemed to really like the way the 9303 did this.

Don
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Don,

How about some pictures of how the reciever and the two satellite receivers are installed in your Brio?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Don Szczur

I just have on rx. Attached is picture. I should have it at Triple Tree.

Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33440.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	784395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki22349.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	784396  
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
J Lachowski

From the picture it appears you did not use a second satellite receiver. FYI, I picked up a 9303 2.4 about a week ago. It is now in my Astral XX. I used a second satellite receiver and used 12" leads on both. It works really well. I can definitely feel the difference between the 9303 and my old PCM 10X. I have just about transfered everything I own over to Spektrum radios. All that is left is to setup the Beryll. Now for the 12X to become available<g>.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
sparky925

Yes he did...
sattelite RX is next to fuel tank!!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
J Lachowski

I was talking about a second sattelite. THere is only one connected to the main Rx block.