Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

Beginner Pattern Help

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

Beginner Pattern Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
jasmine2501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Pattern Help

I've asked this in one other place a while back but got no knowledgeable answers. It seems like nobody is interested in pattern flying anymore, or they are all too advanced to care about my noob questions. I have a few questions which should be easy to answer. If anyone can help, I will really appreciate it.

I am trying to learn the Beginner (Sportsman) pattern shown here:
http://www.nsrca.org/technical/beginners/begin3.htm

I know what all the moves are and how to perform them and how they are judged, but I'm not sure about a few things.

1. If there is a crosswind relative to the runway, which direction will the pattern run? Is there any case where it's my choice to go left or right? I am practicing both directions, but I like to know what to expect.

2. On the maneuver number 3, the Stall Turn, is that performed right after take-off or can I go around once? Is it like this video, or can I make a trimming pass first?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEHv2Q-wZs

3. After the double Immelman at the end, do I land immediately, or do I go around once to set up for landing. The Double Immelman exit is upwind, but it should be ending over the center, right? To me, that means I should go around once and then land?

I joined this forum specifically to ask this question, so I hope someone will be able to help me with it. I have been looking for a video of this sequence, but I can't find one... if I could see it done, I would probably have the answer to my questions...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Beginner Pattern Help

ORIGINAL: jasmine2501

I've asked this in one other place a while back but got no knowledgeable answers. It seems like nobody is interested in pattern flying anymore, or they are all too advanced to care about my noob questions. I have a few questions which should be easy to answer. If anyone can help, I will really appreciate it.

I am trying to learn the Beginner (Sportsman) pattern shown here:
http://www.nsrca.org/technical/beginners/begin3.htm

I know what all the moves are and how to perform them and how they are judged, but I'm not sure about a few things.

1. If there is a crosswind relative to the runway, which direction will the pattern run? Is there any case where it's my choice to go left or right? I am practicing both directions, but I like to know what to expect.

It is your choice on which way to take off. The flight direction must be the same as the take off direction.

2. On the maneuver number 3, the Stall Turn, is that performed right after take-off or can I go around once? Is it like this video, or can I make a trimming pass first?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEHv2Q-wZs

The Utube link is wrong

On take off you must do a 180 turn then a down wind trim pass then another 180 turn, the length of the take off and 180 degree turns is your option. After the second turn which brings you up wind you enter the box. At this point the straight out flight begins and at the end of the box the stall turn is done then the straight flight back.

3. After the double Immelman at the end, do I land immediately, or do I go around once to set up for landing. The Double Immelman exit is upwind, but it should be ending over the center, right? To me, that means I should go around once and then land?

Again you get to fly out of the box, do a 180 then a downwind pass then another 180 to landing.

I joined this forum specifically to ask this question, so I hope someone will be able to help me with it. I have been looking for a video of this sequence, but I can't find one... if I could see it done, I would probably have the answer to my questions...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 PM
jasmine2501

Did you mean to post a blank message?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
jasmine2501

Oh never mind... I see the messages... Thanks!

The Youtube link works for me?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some other suggestions-

1. Take off in to the wind. If its a direct crosswind pick your strongest flying direction.

2. As stated above already, do a 180 degree turn and then another turnaround of your choice. This sets you up entering the box in the same direction you took off.
The other thing about the UTUBE demo is that the exits of the maneuvers are not straight and level. Looses at least 2 or 3 points on each exit. Its hard to practice the stall turn effectively on the simulator but the other thing which is good to practice is the reverse cuban 8. The line before and after the roll should be equal on the 45 degree up line.

3. Concur with comment above.

Make sure you say hello to the local pattern flyers at your competition and tell them I said hello. Keep at it and maybe we'll see you at the NATS in a future year. If you are interested I made copies of a video which I geared toward the beginning pattern flyer and it covers cross wind flying during the discussion. Its in a seminar Q&A type format.

Don