Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: KE mixes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KE mixes

Hello Don,
    happy new year!

Recently I read the very good trimming tutorial written by Peter Goldsmith. In that article, he recommends to setup the KE mixes doing simple rudder turns: he state that the mixes then will be right even for KE flight. If that doesn't occur, i.e. the mixes are not correct in KE flight, the problem might be a surface (rudder) blow-back.

These days I'm trying to setup the mixes in that way, in a small pattern aircraft. Actually I've found that, for me, that way doesn't work. I can setup almost perfect mixes that enable very flat rudder turns (low rate rudder) but when I put the plane on its side, there are unwanted rolling and pitch tendencies...

The question is: how do you set your KE mixes? In your experience with pattern planes, the mixes set during flat turns are correct for KE flight?

Thanks in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KE mixes

listening
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KE mixes

Stek,

You can do this as long as your low rate rudder is low enough. Many planes exhibit differing amounts of adverse yaw with rudder inputs. Sometimes this is non-linear on high and in 3D rates. On an Edge 540 I had it would go to the belly first then the canopy as the rudder stick went further to the limit and much more pronounced at high rate. Multi-point mixing took care of that. Depending on the design of the pattern plane, keep your rudder throw to just barely hold knife edge and Peter's trimming technique should work fine. Also if the CG is at the rearward side, it can make pitching more pronounced.

I switch to high rate for hammer heads and that tightens them up. I also set up rudder mix for 3 seconds max knife edge- since that is the normal max I fly in that position in manuevers (Knife edge loop in F09 being the exception).

I cover/demonstrate rudder throw and mix in detail in my upcoming IMAC/3D instructional video- which may be helpful to some pattern setups as well. Stay tuned.