Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

JR Throttle Curve

Community
Search
Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

JR Throttle Curve

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Throttle Curve

Hi Don.
I just got your video set and look forwarding to taking it all in.
The post below is in the radio forum, but it isn't getting any replies.
I remember you saying once that the JR curve is the best in the business.

Maybe you can say some things that will turn the light on for me?
I believe getting proper throttle response is a must for whatever type flying a pilot does.
I'd like to get better at accomplishing that.

Thanks in advance
Bob Austino

I'm in the process of trying to document for my own sake how the JR curve works.

Can someone give me their view on it, or point me to a tutorial of some sort?

I've had the 10x fow quite awhile, but still can't get the most out of the curve that I'm sure it has to offer.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: JR Throttle Curve

Bob,

When you say curve I assume you mean throttle curve. What I like is one can have the engine running and move points, then hit ok and move the thottle stick back to idle, check the response and then go back and adjust curves to give a good linear thottle response on the ground while the engine is running. I do this by ear. Stand in front of the elevators while doing this. If you move the throttle, like when you are coming around in a stall turn- you want good throttle response. You don't want a real touchy throttle around idle to third throttle. This improves stall turns and also helps with constant aircraft speed presentation. I'm all over it.

By the way the ETOC really taught a lot about left stick. Rudder and throttle all over. Precision flying with a foamy gets the reflexes built for both inputs right and left stick. Light foamy- indoor type, weighing 5 oz or less. Fancy Foam planes, I encourage. Also the Enticement I found to be good for this purpose.

If you experience the expo curve, I like that as well. Its not as shallow in the center stick at high expo rate, yet smoother during transition. It allows me to switch rates during a maneuver, with control inputs (corrections) in and no jumping when switching the rate switch. (different expo rates for each respective dual rate).

Don
Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
bob_nj

Thanks for your input.

Things get confusing for me when I store a point for example, and then try to adjust with "+" or "-" within the ten or so
adjustable places along that point.

In the 10x there are three things going on.
There is the point which shows at the top of the screen,(P1 for example), and then the "In", "Out" along that point which is indicated
at the bottom of the screen.

It seems to me that when I adjust rpm along one of the ten places within the "STORE" point, that adjusment affects
the other nine places along that curve also.

Hope that makes sense, but it may not.
I'm hoping to get something on the bench that will show me what I need to see.

Once you have the curve you want, what exactly does the "Expo" function do?

THanks again
Bob
Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IN is stick position (0 to 100) OUT is servo position (0 10 100) for example.

Expo smooths between the points.

This is from memory so here it goes. If you add a point in between two other points, you will have to adjust that point along with the ones in between when you adjust them, otherwise you have zig zag curve- Likewise if you delete a point between the two, it just goes back to a straight line between the points on either side remaining. You don't have to use all 10. I just use about 3 or 4 normally as the YS is pretty linear to begin with.

You going to Lakehurst?

Don
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 AM
bob_nj

What's the event at Lakehurst, and when is it?

Thanks
Bob