Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back up battery system

Hay Don what do you think about running a dual battery system with on of the devices that will switch to a second battery if you have a problem in flight. I have been doing some reading and it sounds to me like most peopls feel like the most common cause of a crash where you have total shut down is a battery problem . I have never had a problem but the more these things cost it could be cheap insurance.

Any chance you will make Huntsville this year ?

Thanks Kirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Back up battery system

Dual battery, dual switches, dual regulators all help redundancy. Dual redundancy doubles your chances of single point failure, but makes the overall system four times as reliable. I use a single battery, single switch, single regulator. Risk of these failing is there, but not enough for me to do the redundancy thing. Care with installation and wire management will reduce the probability to something like 1 in 10,000 even with no redunancy. 1 in 10,000 is good odds for me. That said, I am running 4 receivers though. This Rx setup comes stock with the 12X.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Back up battery system

Reading your inquiry led me down memory lane as I prefer redundancy to loosing a $1900 airplane. Here is my set up.

2(ea) 2300 mah A123 batteries to a fromeco wolveriene switch that has 3 output leads. 2 of the leads supply power to a Smartfly power expander that supplies 5 volts to the receiver.

The final output lead from the wolveriene switch goes directly to the ignition without a regulator.

The wolveriene switch has a priority function built in where the battery with the highest voltage supplies the system
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70081.gif 
Views:	2 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	1121276