Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > Team RCU - Don Szczur
Reload this Page >

help me help my son

Notices
Team RCU - Don Szczur Ask your questions directly to Don Szczur, proffesional pattern pilot

help me help my son

Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me help my son

Hello. I recently posed a question and was referred to you. I have a son that has been flying for about 3 years now and really shows a lot of talent. Just don't tell him I said that. My problem is he loves 3-D and although I like to watch him I know very little about this type of acrobatics. I want to get him something that will challenge him a little more and won't be devastating to my wallet. This type of flying seems to be a little more destructive than normal especially when learning. He had a plane called a Mo-Jo which would do about any-thing except pull out of that last flat-spin. The way it was made with the wing fixed and a carbon-fiber rod in the fuse made repair difficult. I'm looking for something in a 40-90 2 stroke sized that is not to hard re-build if, no,I mean when he has one of those un-scheduled one-point landings. I have a 33% caps but I really think it would be better for him to learn a little more on something a little cheaper and easier to repair but still do all those wacky low-level tricks he loves to do. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending the money on him. The flying field is 200% better than the streets for my 13 year old and his love for the hobby helps keep him on a a-b honor roll. But if I can do this for him as cheap as I can may-be I'll save enough for me to fly too! Any suggestions you would have for a good 3-D plane and set-up would be great.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help me help my son

There are many but one I particularly like is the U-Can-Do 46 size. It is inexpensive except for the engine but a lesser one would do there. I have a Saito 82 in mine and its perfect. A suggestion though. A 13 yr.old is the prime age for learning so why not have him build a kit. Much can be learned from that. That way he will not only learn a bit about construction which will be a great help when repairs need doing.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: help me help my son

I'm going to indoctrinate you to Pattern. My son flies a Diamante .32 and he has learned a lot about aerobatics from this plane. My son has been flying for about a year, but does compete occasionally. My son needs some local (District 2) competition from fellow Junior members!

For 3D training a Funtana .40 is a good tool. I have one as well, with a Saito .72 which assisted me in learning 3D to include harriers. If you are interested send me a PM. There is also an article I did for 3 steps for 3D at the Horizon Websitewill help you. I've also flown the Frenzy and its pretty cool.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1322

Aside from that, if you want ultimate in economy but still 3D training, a 3D foamy does most of the real stuff and is quite a bit optimized for the challenge. I have flown the Vrolet from Fancy Foam, with E flight 250, and 2S Thunder Power battery, which has worked very well (I have not trashed one yet, after almost a year of flying them- they are remarkably durable).