RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Team RCU - Don Szczur (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-don-szczur-329/)
-   -   World Championships Experience (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-don-szczur-329/10591063-world-championships-experience.html)

Don Szczur 06-24-2011 06:42 PM

World Championships Experience

I'm considering a running update for the World Championships and NATS utilizing this forum.

The World Championships are just a few weeks away. All are practicing hard at this point. My role will be conducting flights for judges training and warmup flights alternating in the morning and afternoon each day of the preliminaries.

The location for the World Championships is Muncie, Indiana. Many international pilots will be practicing locally and across the country to be prepared.

This is the first F3A world championships at the IAC in Muncie. The AMA facility will be hosting this event which consists of pilots from 35 countries.

Don

al 06-25-2011 03:45 AM

RE: World Championships Experience

Don,

Sounds good, Look forward to the updates

Al

Don Szczur 06-26-2011 06:47 PM

There are three types of sequences flown at the world championships. Most pilots are either practicing "P11", "F11", and/or "Unknown manevuers or sequences thereof". The P11 sequence is what all pilots will fly for the first portion of the competition. Pilots that are aspiring to be competitive for the finals will practice the semi-finals, "F11" and pilots who aspire to place well in the finals practice unknown manevuers. How do you practice unknown maneuvers? There is a listing of 100+ published manuvers which each finalist pilot "picks" a maneuver in a session the night before the finals to build two sets of unknown sequences that will be flown. These pilots may practice one of the rolling circle maneuvers, and work with other pilots to get that one into the sequence. The opportunity exists for teams to build on strong maneuvers, although in practice this has not been exploited to the maximum extent possible because in some cases two team pilots from the same country are actually competing against each other for the world championship title. The team title is determined prior to the finals.

Don Szczur 07-06-2011 06:10 PM

Dave Guerin has posted the warmup pilots for the World Championships via email, with schedule. The warmup pilots will alternate between morning and afternoon, and have backups for each site two deep to allow for any technical issues, and to assure the competition proceeds. Warmup pilots include myself, AC Glenn, Dave Lockhart and Andre Bouchard. I'll be conducting demonstration fligths for the judges as part of judging training on Sunday, 24 July. Flying rounds begin for the pilots representing 35 countries on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with P-11 sequence being flown on sites 1 and 3.

I would be remis if I did not, as in the past, give a tribute to Andre Bouchard. When I was just a kid, probably 13 years old if my memory is correct- I went to the local flying field in Valley Forge Park and saw a young man (probably about 4 or 5 years older than me) practicing 8 point rolls with an EU-1A pattern plane. I remember clearly, like it was yesterday. It was a late fall day. I remember those 8 point rolls each one on a wire. That man's name was Andre Bouchard. It was one of those inspiring times that got me into pattern flying.

Preparation continues. I have stopped flying P11 all together. The only thing I'm flying (probably like most of the other competitors) is F11 and unknown sequences and maneuvers. I am burning between 3/4 and 1 gallon per day flying in the evenings after work and on weekends.

So that's the update for now.

Don Szczur 07-09-2011 06:56 PM

Working at it. Unknowns and F11 is the most important thing now. One gallon per day burned. No batteries to worry about charging. Other than Joe's. I can sleep without having to worry about chargng.

Square loop from top with half rolls.
Two and a half turn spin,
Rolling circle 2 rolls inside, not outside.
45 degree up line 2 point roll, half loop. No rudder in half loop. Keep throttle down lower. Make half loop round. Snap negative on 45 degree down line.
Figure z 2 point roll up.
half square loop snap down.
8 point roll
Make the 8 point roll short, because,
Half cuban 8 with 1 1/2 snap. Snap right negative make sure the wings are level on exit. keep line at 45 degrees. 1/8 loop segment same as 5/8 loop segment.
Square vertical 8 with half rolls. Make the crossover smooth. I can't get away with an un smooth roll transition. Add some throttle during the roll. Apply rudder during half roll smoothly.
Half reverse cuban 8 with 2 point roll.
Rolling loop one roll from inverted.
Stall turn 3/4 (not 3 of 4) up and 1 1/4 snap down. Always exits upright on turnaround for this maneuver.
triangle loop with base at bottom 2 of 4 on each 45 degree line.
Humpty bump half roll up 2 of 4 down.
watch out on the top.
45 degree upline 2 of 4 opposite. Start this late and make it small so that not too much box is used. Exit inverted. Think of Chip when he rolled oppostite after the first quarter roll in 2003. He will never do that again and thinks of this often.
Top hat 3/4 down, 3 of 4 up. I'm pretty sure Dave Lockhard indicated all unknown top hats had to be inverted on the cross point, but that's going from memory of a past clarification. Roll right both times it gets the correct orientiation on exit (upright exit).
Six sided loop. Now listen to me judges, i've calibrated my angles with an angle meter, proven by Chris Moon. The 60 degrees are 60 please judges don't take off 6 points (one on each leg) because you think they are shallow. Thanks for your attention.

Unknown number from a past NATS Finals Maybe 2004. Just from memory. I remember the snap down half square because Jason's was snapping so fast it made me think this was good. I changed the way I snap after watching this.

Have a good evening.

Don

Don Szczur 07-11-2011 05:08 PM

Been praticing some with Chris Moon who is working hard to prepare for the NATS. You will see some new things on display at the World Championships and NATS as he is going all out to display his models available under F3A Unliminted.

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...=index&cPath=8

I was treated to try out some of the hardware. Its nice to know that as I drive home from the field each evening there is a fully stocked assortment of planes available within a minute.

Don

Don Szczur 07-23-2011 06:44 PM

We made it out to the Muncie flying site this evening. A thunderstorm blew through earlier, but there were several flyers at site 1 and several at site 3. We stopped by site 3 just in time to watch the Great Britain flyer Keith Jackson flying and got to renew some old acquaintences and friends there. It was great seeing Bert DeLare again. Bert and I go back to the 2005 Romily contest, when my fuselage was stuck back at Dulles Airport and never made it to Paris. He lent me his airplane and I proceeded to fly it at this contest. He spend some time with Chris Hinson at Extreme Flight practicing and will be flying the new Vanquish pattern airplane that they are introducing. For those in pattern not familiar with Extreme Flight, they make large and small scale IMAC and aerobatic planes and to include the Extra, Yak, Edge and MX-2. The introduction of pattern will be popular for those wanting to bridge over to pattern flying. This will be positive for our sport, I believe. Bert will be representing Belgium at the World Championships.

Since the camera cord is at home, looks like I'll be doing some shopping for a digital camera tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning is judges training which is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. I was asked by Dave Guerin to fly demonstration flights for the judges during this training session which is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.

Til then,

Don

Don Szczur 07-24-2011 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, today is winding down with regard to official events. Each team was allocated a practice window at site 1 and site 3. This is known as the official practice. It allows each team member of each country the opportunity to fly at the competition site. We caught up with some new and old friends. Bernd is flying for the German team and we had not seen him since I believe DLM back probably 5 or 6 years ago. Shane Robinson, his lovely wife Sinead, and Angus and other members and helpers of the Irish team, who I had not seen since Romilly. Said hello to Chip Hyde and Andrew Jesky along with Mike Klein (calling for Chip), and Kevin Young (calling for Andrew). There are 4 junior team members from their countries (that I counted). Attended the Judges classroom briefing this morning which was both informative and edifying. I was a bit surprised that the session was totally in English and no translators were needed. F3A is truly an international event with judges from all around the world, gathered in one place to pick the World Champion. Its great to be part of this event. AC Glenn and myself were to do the Judges training flights, scheduled for Site 4 this afternoon. However, this has been postponed until tomorrow morning due to a thunderstorm that blew through mid-afternoon today. OK guys, I invested in a brand new digital camera- here is a test upload picture to see how well it works on the lowest resolution possible for web viewing. Hmm. Looks like the parking lot is dryin out so we may head back over to the site shortly.

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures.

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Judging training was edifying. It was a privilage to be critiqued by the best judges in the world. On the first flight I counted 61 defects observed. On the second flight I addressed approximately 30 of the defects. I got a few 9's which I will build upon. I learned more in 2 hours about my flying than probabably all my coaching from the past. I have now changed my style of flying.

Some pictures from official practice.

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We finally got to chat with Chip, Brett, Andrew and the U.S. Team support and helpers. One correction from previous post, Vern is Andrew's caller. Kevin is his backup caller. There is lots of help here! Some pictures from the other sites below. Got to talk to Wolfgang Matt, so many others....

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chad Northeast and all the Canadians, great to see all, and Xavier, yes its been a few years since we hosted Xavier at my house in Virginia. I remember we spoofed the local flyers into thinking he was Christophe. We told all he could only speak French and he did, and that he had a new secret design he was going to test fly at our field. That one got everyone quite well. That was at the Farm club. Probably 2006 or so....

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All pictures are courtesy of Joseph. He mentioned one plane that had cantilizers on the top and bottom of the wing. I could not understand him until I saw the pictures. We watched some of the practice flights. The Austrians are flying well, as are the Chinese (they were hanging out at Site 4 where we were). We did not get to see the U.S. flyers except for part of Brett's flight. Opening Ceremonies were extremely well organized and very formal. You don't realize the scope or breadth of the World Championships until the opening ceremony. Over 30 countries participating. San Marino- I had to maquest that one and found it to be on the Italian area. Seba has moved there and is team manager for this country, until next WC. South Africa, we are told....

Many thanks to the AMA which hosted a very nice dinner after the Opening Ceremonies. Thank you Cheryll.

Don Szczur 07-25-2011 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And finally, Chris Moon more than had his hands shuffling all the sales. I was caught in the crowd rushing over to buy the latest F3A Unlimited products which he had available.

Tomorrow comes early, so heading to bed. Demo flight at 8 for the judges and then model checks and working processing of the "random draw" technical inspections on site.

Regards,
Don

Gregg G 07-26-2011 07:09 AM

Hey Don,
I was curious, is everyone making weight? Thanks
Greg Grigsby

mups53 07-26-2011 09:02 AM

Don while I'd love to be there I like a lot of others can't swing 2 week vacations to do the Worlds and the nats back to back. I'll be there for the finals. In the meantime I really appreciate your efforts to do these updates. I find them very interesting and informative. Have fun learn a ton and stay safe. See you next week.
And please tell Chris Moon I said he has to go out and practice this week.
Mike Mueller

n1369e 07-26-2011 12:53 PM

Wow! Don thanks so much for the pictures an updates. I'm really enjoying them.
Rick Harn

Don Szczur 07-26-2011 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A great day at the World Championships. To add to the drama, word is out that tech inspections are very complete at the Site 1. We have "teams" that support the line director and site director. The "teams" move with the demo pilots. For site 1 (moving to site 3 tomorrow) its Earl, Joe Lachowski for sound and voltage checks; myself and AC Glenn tech inspections and John Fuqua checking weight. Marcelo Columbo put in an excellent flight, as did Tuny.

Don Szczur 07-26-2011 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Each pilot picks a "marble" out of a bucket. If a marble is white- the pilot is 100% technical checked. Black marble- only weight check for electric and no checks for glow. This probability approach makes pilots aware that they have a good chance of being checked, but spares the workers from having to check all. I spent probably 30 percent of my day in the technical check. We like the camera. Picture of Joe Lachowski working hard. A lot of reverse-spinning props. The word is that next rules cycle will provide more detail behind the smoothness and gracefulness portion of the score. The multi-blade propellors provide smooth and constant speed flying, so these type of props could in theory provide a technical edge. We will see this year how setups work as we have seen the full range of speed outrunners, gearbox driven slower setups, and the reverse turning props, as well as 4 cycle motors both YS and OS. I was astonished at Christophe's flying his YS 175 on CDI which was as slow or slower than many of the electrics. Now understand today's weather was very calm relatively, with wind only 5-10 max.

Don Szczur 07-26-2011 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures.

Don Szczur 07-26-2011 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are some teams that had Junior members. Robin Trumpp flew extremely well and made very few errors. He was seen giving high 5's to Bernd who also flew extremely well from the German Team. How about the Americans? As luck would have it I was Tech checking an airplane and just as I exited the tent I got to watch Andrew half rolling out of his reversed spin. So I missed his flight, but from what I could peak out and see it looked pretty good.

Results from Day 1 are located at http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/W...aries_Rank.pdf

Full standings will not be possible until Friday, since judge sets are rotating and all one can do is compare raw scores at this point.

Don Szczur 07-26-2011 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James Nugent from Australia was also a Junior that did well. He garnered quite a bit of attention after he flew. These kids are flying WELL so the idea to add Junior team members has been met with very positive response from everyone I spoke with across the site. Some more action shots. When CPLR flew, there were crowds that came to watch him. Andrew also drew a big crowd to watch as he flew at our site 1 today although I did not check. Also attached is a picture of the technical check "greenhouse" that John Fuqua and I resided in. We must have lost 5 Lbs today in that sauna.

Don Szczur 07-27-2011 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another great prelim day. Chip has taken the lead, which is great. I got to watch Andrew's flight on site 3 and he put in a good flight. Christophe and Onda put in subpurb flights. Another excellent flight was flown by many others today. Wind was from the south at about 8 which was manageable and smooth. Merchandise for sale at the site 3 tent area.

Don Szczur 07-27-2011 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of Chip he introduced a new plane (see pictures above) which was just unpacked as we arrived. It is designed by the Brio designer in Argentina. I may get a chance to fly this one later in the week or next weekend. Jorge Olivelia is the designer, in coordination with Chip. The Brio was a great rolling airplane and this one is based on that with other features added in to address the new maneuvers during the FAI future schedules (I got a hint there will be knife edge to knife edge snaps again).

Don Szczur 07-27-2011 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some additional pictures.