RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Team RCU - Don Szczur (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-don-szczur-329/)
-   -   Elevator control throws (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-don-szczur-329/3517914-elevator-control-throws.html)

stek79 11-03-2005 01:23 PM

Elevator control throws

Hi Don,

I'm building my new pattern plane, it's a Chimera designed by Sebastiano Silvestri. I'm trying to figure out how much elevator throws I'll need: this is needed both for the elevator beveling and for designing a suitable control horn.

In your opinion what is the maximum control throws in degrees that is needed in a pattern plane (20,25.,30)? For examples during snap and spins... I would like to keep a small servo arm and a large control horn in order to have torque advantage, but the risk is running out of throws. I don't want neither have to use too much D/R and loosing control resolution!

At the WC I have seen different approaches: for example Onda's plane had on the elevators a huge control horn... very little throw I guess!

Don Szczur 11-03-2005 11:58 PM

RE: Elevator control throws

THank you for your interesting question.

I carry about 9 to 11 degrees on low rate, and about 15 to 17 degrees on high rate.

Europeans tend to carry less elevator on snaps, but give yourself enough bevel for 25 degrees of throw up and down and you'll be set.

You may check with SEBA on his recommendations- He flew quite well at the Worlds.

Don

stek79 11-04-2005 07:06 AM

Thanks Don!

I spoke with Seba, he told me much higher throws: for the elevator, 25 deg for flight and snaps and 35 or more for spins!

I tend to feel more confortable with lower throws and expos I think... and this thanks to your suggestion!!! I'm very grateful for this Don!

And what about rudder? What throws do you run on it?

Don Szczur 11-06-2005 08:37 PM

Rudder, depends on the design. My focus had about 20 degrees on low and about 30 on high. My Brio only really needs about 15 degrees on low as the rudder is quite sensitive. I tried also to use high expo and high throw, which I fly now. I have 85 percent expo on low rate and moved the rudder to about the normal 25 degree throw. The extra expo gives a little softness in the middle, which keeps from over controlling the rudder. The extra throw on the edges are good for stall turns. No flops. The down side is I find I am getting into the elbows during circles, at least when I went back to it after flying the extra 300. The Extra is very solid in the circles but the Brio flies well. I plan to continue flying the Brio design at least for the next few years. I expect that Seba's design is likewise designed well and it should fly very well.

stek79 11-07-2005 04:15 AM

Great reply Don!!!

CIAO E GRAZIE!!!