Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes

Guys, what attributes do you want to see in a 3D model? As compared to the Funtana 90, what in terms of performance would you liek to see different to give you the "perfect" model.

Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Funtana 90 and 3D Airplanes

I'd like to see one that has strong rudder control, plenty of power to weight when using the recommended engine size, and solid hovering ability. I love the full fuselage planes but many of the .40 size models don't have all of that. I suppose that's why I leaned towards the 3D profile planes. The Funtana series are beautiful planes! I'm sure there are lots of other opinions, but that's my 2 cents worth.

John Wells
Old 08-06-2004, 12:48 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the funtana 90 is the most fun I have ever had with a small nitro plane. I went with the Saito 100 and in the Arizona heat it would not pull out of a hover but is WAS still great to fly. I really like the light wieght construction of the wing but you have to be careful with it.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
mattyd

Tell you what I want is a plane that is well built. My funtana(40) basically just fell apart on the first few flights really. And that was with me doing some strengthening to it(see pic) the plate that the carbon replaced just fell out in my hands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76539.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	161186  
Old 08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Mike, welcome aboard!

As to what I would like to see, I would like to see a 50cc size Funtana! Also, I could really use an ultimate or challenger style Pitts that I could power with my Saito 1.50 or 1.80. The planes Hanger 9 introduces are well built, light and nearly always exceed my expectations, but (isn't there always a but?) I rally can't afford 33-35% planes. Never mind the fact that at my level of skill the planes I buy are not going to be around forever. I went through 4 Funtana 40's (still have #4) and bought a spare 90 (just in case). I do have bigger planes but they don't get flown like the smaller ones.

A few years ago Hanger 9 released the Cap 232 in solid colors so those of us inclined to do so could design our own color schemes. I kinda wish you would revisit that idea. One of the things I like about the Funtana series is the solid colors and ease with which the decals come off.

Lastly, consider rethinking the solid wing idea on your 90 and up size planes. It's not always convienient to haul the trailer out for a few quick flights and the 72" and up wings don't lend themselves to traveling very well in smaller SUV's and cars.

I think thats enough for now!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
bentgear

Mike, you mean you want somebody on RCU to THINK!!!!!

For its weight or similar the ability to use a slightly larger engine. I don't see how you could get much weight out and not go with much more expensive materials for construction. But neither a YS 91 nor a Saito 100 seem to power this plane as it should be powered. No need for speed, just a little more power.

Maybe a little less aileron area to reduce the chance of flutter (if that would do it), I think it has more than enuff now.

But, the most needed thing on this or similar planes, a tutorial that walks a person thru construction considerations of 3D models and the flying of 3D models of this type. Include a signoff card at the end that must be sent back in stating you have read and understand the tutorial before the warranty is any good.

BTW, thanks for asking.

Ed M.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM
MMcConville

Mattyd,
Can you help me understand a little more what fell apart. Actually there is no plate in the Funtana 40 in the place toy have the CF. There is a plywood stifferer that carres through from that area back to the servo tray. I assume that is what was loose?
It is difficultto produce something light enough to be a real 3D model. On any ARF model,regardless of how good they are, I'd always go over and make sure joints dont need reglued.

Mike
Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
mattyd

There is a ring that went around ( hard to discribe) where the plate is it just fell out in my hands really. see pic Dont get me wrong i know that if the planes are better made they are heavier so it a trade off but a bit of glue would be nice. But you must agree some arfs are very badly built even H9 but they are better than most. Another thing for this plane to fly like it should you have to over power it. This is a little annoying as if I lost control of my plane and hit someone and injured them here in UK my insurance will be invalid as I had overpowered the plane. Why cant manufactures just design planes that fly well on the reccommended engines. Admittedly I havnt seen a funtana 90 fly on a saito 100 but I dont expect that I will be flying it with one. If I can ever get one here in the UK.

Sorry to rant.

Matt

By way only used CF as I have access to lots of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66597.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	161224  
Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 PM
MMcConville

mattyd,
I still struggle to understand why guys find the Saito 72 to be inadequate for the Funtana 40. I flew mine on the 14 x 4 w APC prop and w/ 30% fuel had lenty of power. The Saito 82 is even better and wont poverpower it.

Same with the Funtana 90. The 100 seems to be an excellent match, and I didnt even go light on batteries, just plain old Nicads.

Mike
Old 08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Mike.
I have the Funtana 90 and am running a Saito 100 in it. I see everyone saying it is under powered, but mine seemed to be ok. I didn't have great vertical pull out, but I think I found the problem. I noticed fuel on the outside of my cowl for a couple of weeks and just didn't pay any attention to it. I started to have problems with the motor going deadstick on me. I took the motor off and blew into the vent hose and can hear air coming from around the shaft where the prop mounts. Figured that was a problem so I sent it out for service. Do you think I lost performance since the motor had a leak? I am thinking about buying a new 100 so I don't have to wait, and putting the rebuilt motor on another plane I have. I would love to see a video of you flying the plane with the 100 to prove to everyone that the motor is more than enough for 3D.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My new Funtana is ready to rip .
The prop will be an 18x6 or something like that ---
Will fly on Sunday
It should be a gas!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:34 PM
bentgear

Dick, why do I get the feeling that this is going to get interesting?

Mike, I have a 72 on the 40 size and it flew with no problem. Guess I can't do a good job of explaining it, but the 90 size just seems to need more.

Ed M.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:44 AM
mattyd

Ever tried finding 30% fuel in the UK 15% is about 30$ a gallon 30% is about double that. that is why I used a 91.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:59 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Bulldog Pitts for 50 CC. That's all I want to see!
Old 08-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

A few years ago Hanger 9 released the Cap 232 in solid colors so those of us inclined to do so could design our own color schemes. I kinda wish you would revisit that idea. One of the things I like about the Funtana series is the solid colors and ease with which the decals come off. I agree with cstevec Yes solid color planes. I really enjoy making up my own scheme. Other then that I am very happy with the planes H9 sells. I just wish I could keep them in the air longer.
Bruce
Old 08-08-2004, 08:37 PM
invme

mike i love your funtana 90 greatest 3D plane i have ever flown and the saito 100 was just perfect for the plane it needed no more the plane hovers at 3/4 throttle. i enjoyed metting you dad out at field in sarasota the SRQ flying field he really gave me the insperation to try more electric planes with the knowledge he gave me. for your question all i would like to see is a funtana 140 or 120 that has between an 80 and 85 inch wing span uses a saito 180 as its 3D powerhouse and selles between $300 and $350. hangar 9 of course with their excellent quality if you could do that i would love it.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike'

First, welcome to RCU. It's a pleasure to see someone with your experience, personality, and sense of humor here at RCU.

The introduction of new 3D and scale planes in the 50cc size range would be a great benefit for all. It keeps the overall cost in a relatively affordable price range. The 35% planes are nice, but the final cost mounts up into the $3,000.00 and $4,000.00 range. I would think that would place a rather severe restriction on the available market share.

Introducing a plane(s) in the 50cc size class with double beveled flight surfaces, light weight, and Horizon/Hanger 9's usual quality would likely benefit all concerned. It would also offer an introductory class of aircraft to new gas flyers that they could afford to purchase.

Thanks for asking!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a Saito 100 sized Tensor
Old 08-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Red B.

Mike!

Bigger is not always better, at least not when it comes to transportation and cost. My ideal aircraft is 80 in. or less with plug-in wings.

It would be very nice if the aircraft was available with two sets of plug-in wings. One set for optimized for 3D-flying and another set for IMAC-flying. On purchase one could choose either one or both (or purchase the extra set of wings later on)
Ideally the stab should also be replaceable.

There are several reasons for this:
1) Cost. If I want to one IMAC and one 3D aircraft I need to duplicate a lot of fuselage mounted accessories, most notably the engine. The cost for these accessories can be considerable. With an extra set of wings I only need an extra pair of aileron servos.

2) Transportation. Anyone that has tried squeezing two 80!QUOT! aircraft into a compact car will appreciate having to deal with only one fuselage. Extra wing panels doesn't pose such a problem (which will become more common as gasoline gets more and more expensive)

3) Flying qualities. Compromises are often bad. A wing that works excellent in 3D will probably not be ideal when flying IMAC maneuvers and vice versa (size of ailerons, airfoil selection, plan-form etc.)

/Red B.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM
vertical ts
My Feedback: (50)

Hi Mike,
Any chance of hanger 9 comming out with a funtana 140?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
cstevec

Gee Mike! You asked. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks 50cc powered easily transportable planes are a good idea!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:49 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Something in the small gasser range would be great. How about a smaller Sukhoi or Yak to fill in with the Funtana? A off scale version like this would be great.
I have stayed away from the 90 version due to the nitro costs then to jump to 30% would be a killer for me.
So Dick an 18" blade huh, what engine and keep us informed will ya.

V-Snap
Old 08-09-2004, 01:43 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Either a 40 sized profile that is extremeely light and in cpomaprision to the Extreme Flight Edge 540 and a 40% Mono plane! An EXTRA!! Glad to see you on the site Mike

Dan
Old 08-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Mike,

Thanks for asking for thoughts on your next 3D model. I'm fairly new to the RC Universe forum.

I've noticed most of the fight testing for model takes place around sea level. But for those of us who live at much higher elevations, I'd like to see you consider the peformance characteristics of a 3D plane with the recommended engine at much higher elevations. Yes, this would mean for those who fly around sea level (1000 ASL) the plane would much more thurst than required. THe other side of the coin is, if you initally design the model with everyone in mind; then those of us flying at 5000 asl wouldn't have to consistently modify the model because the initial System Design would incorporate an engine that would perform at much higher altitiude. Or possibly just optional size engines on a model that would perform well at different recommended elevations.

For example, the Funtana 90 is a great plane; however, a Satio 100 (at 2500 asl and 100F equates to around 5000 ASL ) does not provide the thrust and response that it does around sea level; thus, I installed a larger engine to compensate for the altitude difference. There seems to be an ingrained cultural thought process used in designing a model. Some out of the box thinking would be greatly appreciated for those of us who have no choice but to modify the stock model configuration to compensate for much, much higher altitiudes.

Lower wing loading would be another thing I'd like to see in your next model with a moment that's a little longer.

I hope you take the above comments in a positive light. They are not meant to negative; rather, it is meant to be constructive criticism.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
MMcConville

Lots of excellent comments. mxcop114, I cant say for sure, but I would think that the leak in your engine would likely cost you power.

mattyd, good point about the cost of 30% fuel in the UK. Perhaps an ep set-up is a good option for you. I flew the Funtana 40 for Hacker last year in vegas and the performance was very good.

Regarding a Funtana 140, that one we wont be doing, simply because Sebastiano own Sebart company is doing it. Our next Funtana is the small E-Flite Mini Funtana.

Seems to be a few comments abou the solid colored Caps we did a few years ago. What do you guys think about the solid colored models vs ARC models?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.