Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 Planes

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

New Hanger 9 Planes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 Planes

Since this thread still seems much alive, I would like to comment on a statement made by Mike and followed up by DP -

As far as the request for kits, that us an interesting idea. On the surface it seems pretty simple, however one huge road block is the development of a construction manual. To do one for a kit to H9 standards would be a huge undertaking. I remember from my days at Midwest, it took us longer to produce a construction manual than it did to design, prototype, test and finalize the model.
I don't believe we could recoup the investment it would take to kit our models.
While I understand that apprehension concerning ROI, there is a fairly simple, reduced risk way to test the theory. Regardless of who is putting the model together - ARF or kit - the parts are already cut. Whoever is putting the ARF's together has to have some instruction, even if it's !QUOT!...put these parts into that jig and glue...!QUOT!. I am pretty sure the ARF's are being manufactured in some form of assembly line sub-assembly fashion. Take some additional pictures, put a couple of paragraphs together and call it a manual. Hell, don't even call it that, make it an addendum and the guys building the first few will re-write the manual for you anyway.

I'm not saying push major dollars into advertisement, re-packaging, etc. If the ARF fits in one or two boxes - so do the parts it took to build them. Determine the per unit price reduction of labor and materials that do not go into the 'short kit', and offer at a reduced rate comparable to your required margins and whatever you believe the market will bear.

The best part, no re-tooling, acquisition of license, modification to existing distribution chain or any of that would really be required. Design a strategy for MINIMAL requests - set some parts aside and package them up in existing packaging, modified for PARTS instead of finished sub assemblies. Set your price, advertise word of mouth, require special orders so you can control the inventory and the process - this also aides in ensuring that the customer understands the conditions of sale for a 'limited time' product with minimal documentation. This therefore reducing the risk of reputation of the H9 line which is clearly in good standing. If you only get a nibble, what have you lost? If the floodgates open, you just found yourself in a new market.

This is only an suggestion and an overview from about 10,000ft. I understand that there is still much more brainstorming and due diligence required, but, spec it out and run up some numbers. I think if you ask and look around, while there is definitely a swing in kit to ARF market-share, you will find MANY folks would STILL rather build. Was this ARF trend brought on by the everyday modeler who wants to fly airplanes or the manufacturer who wanted to reduce overhead and increase profit margin while maintaining competition with emerging overseas manufacturers?

Given the option - which is becoming harder to find - I would rather build an airplane to my specifications than glue a couple parts on a fuselage and add an engine and some servos. With a set of plans, I can always get some lumber and build more or easily repair a mishap. Then again, there may just be an after retirement career for me - take broken ARF's out of the burn barrel, re-build them, and sell the 'New and Improved' plane back to it's original owner.

Just IMHO -
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
coral023

Mike,

I cant wait to get my hands on the new 27% 260. First I would like to say thanks for considering those that want the cannister. Second, what size 3-blade prop do you recommend for this model and the DA-50?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

It would be nice if all the Hanger 9 offerings were at least offered in an ARC. And better yet kit form. A 50cc Katana/Funtana would be a blast also. Construction manual at Midwest? A.J. left..Call me, Walt
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

In the 50cc class, I would love to see a single seat Sukhoi around 83" span, able to accept a pipe, and with actual scale lines to the front end. Wildhare announced an 87," two seat, composite version, but the price may be more than I want to spend on a 50cc size plane.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:04 AM
50%plane

Mike,
Has Hanger9 thought about releasing Peter Goldsmiths 46% cap as an ARF?
I would love to own a big cap
Old 04-22-2005, 12:36 AM
crazy irishman

How you doing Mike?

I just stumbled across this forum and thought I would ask someone higher up the food chain. Why is it that everyone builds a cessna skylane? The one plane I have always wanted to see is a cessna 180 or 185 in 1/4 scale. why is everyone stuck on the 182? [&o]

Ps. we have an H9 skylane 1.50 in my group of flying friends and absolutly love it. We would just like to see a tail dragger with those lines. Any idea why nobody makes one?

Thanks
Crazy[8D]
Old 04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I guess the simple answer is that the 182 seems to have the broadest appeal.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ordered the 260 and was getting my ducks in a row before it arrives
what size standoffs for the da50
what size wing and stab tube(to see if any carbon fiber are available)
Old 04-25-2005, 07:12 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Im thinking ZDZ 40.. and im defanantly getting one.. I like mikes other design the 33% extra. Ive flown my friends quite a few times..HEy mike how does it fly compared to the 33? i know its a 260 so i would think it would be even more solid in harriers etc.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:29 AM
MMcConville

It is more neutral than the 330 and has more rudder authority.

I dont know which 3b prop is best. I've only used a 2b 23 x 8 mej.

I doubt you'll find a CF stab tube and it really isnt eorth the effort for the few grams it would save.

I cantremember which DA 50 standoffs its built around. Is there a "standard" length from DA? If so thats it. I'll have to check.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Mike...

Hey, where can we get more info on the new H9 Extra 260? I am thinkin this is my next step up the ladder in scale, happily flying an F90 now. LOVE your work, and H9 quality. The Horizon site has very little detail. Are there any write-ups anywhere? How about a video?

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
MMcConville

There isnt any info on-line yet other than on our site. What do you want to know? Were wording on video. We have some shot that we played at Toledo, and are working to ge it online.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
TManiaci

Mike,

My curiosity is a result of my lack of knowledge, so please excuse stupid questions. I suppose I want to know about things like this:

Building:
1. What are the Servo Recommendations? Minumum Torque?
2. Are any of the control suirfaces requiring, or have options for multiple servos?
3. Is any of the tailfeathers on pull-pull?
4. Does it come with a fuel tank? If so, what size?
5. Are the servos conceiled on the wings or fuse?
6. Does it include an engine mount for nitro installs?
7. What hardware is included, and what hardware is required to buy separatly?
8. Is the stock hardware better than F90 stuff, or about the same?
9. What does it look like on the underside?
10. Is there a decal scheme planned?
11. Will the DA-50 be the limit of gasser capacity?
- or- is this another F90 where the recommended engine leaves it "underpowered"?
12. Do the tailfeathers come off for transport?
13. Is it balanced for the heavier DA-50, so we will need weight on the nose for the smaller nitro engine selections?

Flying:
1. Is this an "advanced" aircraft requiring high levels of skill to manage?
2. How is 3D & Pattern performance? (Hover/Harrier/Blender/Flat-Spin/Snap/KE, etc.)
3. Does it have any inherent snap tendencies?
4. Does it land hot, or float like an F90?
5. Are there any manuevers that you found "difficult" or "challenging"?
6. How agressive was verticle pullout with the DA-50?
7. Have you flown one with a big Saito yet?

I'm sure those of us seeing this as a stepping-stone from nitro planes to gasser's are curious and excited to see an affordable entry level plane like this. You guys are gonna kill 'em with this one if it fills the expectations.

I have many more questions... but I'lll leave it at this for now. Maybe you could start a thread for this bad-boy? I don't want to hijack this "new products" thread. I thnk you are going to see huge interest in this one.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:45 PM
TManiaci

Mike,

Sorry, just noticed the Manual is on the HH site... many of these questions will be answered there. But, I welcome comments anyway for any and all items...

Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:20 AM
50%plane

Mike,
can we expect Hanger 9 to release another spectacular plane soon? If so how near in the future?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
MMcConville

Answerws below:

Building:
1. What are the Servo Recommendations? Minumum Torque? Use at least 60 oz in. More is better. I'm using 9411 on elev and ail and an 8411SA on rudder.
2. Are any of the control suirfaces requiring, or have options for multiple servos? No
3. Is any of the tailfeathers on pull-pull? Optional on rudder. Comes with both pull pull and an servo mount in the tail. Choose whichever is better for balance with the engine used.
4. Does it come with a fuel tank? If so, what size? Yes, 22 oz. Its good for gas and glow fuel.
5. Are the servos conceiled on the wings or fuse? No. Its typical servo mounting in an aerobatic model.
6. Does it include an engine mount for nitro installs? Yes.
7. What hardware is included, and what hardware is required to buy separatly? All Hangar 9 Giant Scale hardware. 4-40 wire pushrods. All good stuff. In fact I use the same GS hardware on my 40% models.
8. Is the stock hardware better than F90 stuff, or about the same? Better
9. What does it look like on the underside? Blue with 3 white bands at the wing tip.
10. Is there a decal scheme planned? Sticker sheet is included to make it look like the model in the photos.
11. Will the DA-50 be the limit of gasser capacity? Absolutely. Noting bigger. Trust me, anything larger than the DA-50 and the wing wouldnt be needed. Whenever I fly it, the response when I pull up and go to full throttle usually starty with "holy" and ends with some explative.
- or- is this another F90 where the recommended engine leaves it "underpowered"?
12. Do the tailfeathers come off for transport? Stab halves do yes.
13. Is it balanced for the heavier DA-50, so we will need weight on the nose for the smaller nitro engine selections?

No, with the lighter nitro selections, use the pull/pull rudder and put the battery pack forward. With the DA, use the tail mounted rudder servo and mount the batteries back.

Flying:
1. Is this an "advanced" aircraft requiring high levels of skill to manage? Thats hard to say. Its a good rendition of an Extra 260. Skills needed are simialr to most good flying scale aerobatic (IMAC type) airplanes.
2. How is 3D & Pattern performance? (Hover/Harrier/Blender/Flat-Spin/Snap/KE, etc.) Hover great. The midwing makes that pretty east. Harrier is good, but the wings can get rocking if your not careful. Blender and flat spins well. Snaps very well. KE is very strong and pretty neutral.
3. Does it have any inherent snap tendencies? Not unless you get it heavy or get the CG back and have too much elev throw (as will any model)
4. Does it land hot, or float like an F90? Lands hotter than a F90, but not hot. Its a typical Extra in that regard.
5. Are there any manuevers that you found "difficult" or "challenging"? No due the the limits of the airplane.
6. How agressive was verticle pullout with the DA-50? See above. It is borderline too much power, but as long as guys are careful and throttle manage they'll love the power. It accelerstes quickly going vertical.
7. Have you flown one with a big Saito yet? Yes. With a 180 is would easily go through the whole IMAC Unlimited sequence. In hover it was a little weak. However the 220 is a lot more power. We have flown the new 220 in a slightly larger, and heavier 80" Cap 232 that we used to sell. It was pretty impressive. Came out of hovers very well. In the slightly smaller and considerably lighter weight 260 it will be excellent on the 220.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 AM
TManiaci

Thanks Mike... this sure is starting to sound like a great bird.

Is there a target date that you know of for release in production for the Extra 260?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:17 PM
MMcConville

Should start to ship out of here next week or the wek after at worst case.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
airplanenut

There are some beautiful older areobaitc planes out there
laser 200 extra 230,200, skybolt
The turbo raven would be a elct. plane
old planes new feel
Old 04-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Ace.in.a.day

Hello

I would love to see a Funtana 60 in the near future.
I think the step between F40 and F90 is too big. There are a lot of people, for which the F40 is too small, but the 90 too big, because you need already 100 size engine.

So the F 60 would be THE compromise.
91 engines would be a great match for the F60 : I think the developement work, wouldn´t be too big, because you already have the most important componentes ( airfoil...)
Just put it in a 60 size Funtana, please......

Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 AM
50%plane

What an idea!
Go for it Mike!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Flight Hawk

WWII warbirds. Bearcat, wildcat and maybe some Russian fighters of that era (haven't seen many of those on the market) Migs & Yaks. Military airplanes not air racers.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

I have the Extra 260 ordered through LHS. Have bought YS 160DZ, Central Hobbies muffler system, Radical RC 2700ma battery and switch. I will convert exterior to Patty Wagstaff using Kirby Kustom's package. Haven't bought servos yet but will go with Mike's suggestion on 9411 and 8411. Can't wait to get started!!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 AM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does kirby's have the old patty scheme on file or is he going to have to design it whats the cost? when i first saw this plane i thought it looked an awful lot like the patty 260 at least on top
Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2005, 08:33 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Kirby has the old sceem on file and from my sonversations with Dennis this week the entire package will be about $ 100.00.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.