Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hanger 9 Planes

BudgetDude,

I thouht that was what you were getting at but wasn't sure.

I went through UPT at Williams in 85-86 then stayed on as a Tweet IP for three years before going to the real AF (F-16's at Hill than Osan AB in S. Korea).

What is your experience?

The P-51 is my second favorite airplane of all time after the F-16. I am hoping H9 will bring the big one back to complement the P-47.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They should bring one out, I bet that new 220 would give it some zip. How come there is no adversary counterpart like an FW.
    I was at columbus, 05-07. Now I am waiting to start Herc school in Dec.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wasnt trying to kill this thread.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems that it died anyway. After reading all 9 pages I didn't see what I want. I fly off a grass field that isn't exactly perfect (north Texas bunch grasses) and often with 15+kt crosswinds. The field is blessed with huge amounts of open sky, and the runway is fair size--100x500 feet. I just started in RC this summer and can handle basic patterns and aerobatics with .25-.61 size secondary and aerobatic trainers.

I feel a small gas intermediate aerobat would be better able to handle my field conditions and wind. I would like an easily assembled ARF with all necessary hardware of good quality. It should fly gentle but honest, capable of pattern style aerobatics, but not necessarily a competitive pattern plane, designed around a 2cid engine, making effective use of standard servos maybe doubled for high load surfaces, and a bigger battery if necessary, choice of trike or tail dragger. Form over function is the key. Symmetrical air foil, mid wing, 11 pounds flying weight, and an all up cost with the common 6 channel computer radios (flaperons) of $750 ($350 engine, $200 radio, $200 plane) ready to fly.

The 4-Star 120 is to floaty and is a kit and the UltraStik Lite 120 is too complex.

The Extra 260 is close to what you want. Though 11 lbs with a gas engine is going to be very hard to achieve in general.
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Mike. I'll Google and read up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, that 37% Extra 260 is really sweet, there was one powered by a Saito 220 at the field today, and I had an opportunity to fly it. It would do anything I wanted it to do, and nothing I didn't. It's the first time I've ever been able to fly a knife-edge figure-8. It was so easy, and on the first try.

Sad thing is a DA-50 with muffler is close to what I want to spend for the entire outfit. A Saito 220 is nearly as much. Add in a flight pack with all those high-torque servos and a battery pack to run them, and the plane is easily twice my target price. I guess I'll have to settle for something smaller.

Okay, I'm off to see what hanger nine has in the .60-90 range. Wish me luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try it with a spertiger 3250, its like 2 cubic inches and pretty cheap. Its about the same weight as the 220, and with a pitts muffler you could probably have it for 230$. Hitec 645's have plenty of tourque and are like 40$ a piece. Just an idea FWIW.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

budgetdude, the SuperTiger would be a good idea, but I fly a lot, and glow fuel is already a significant hole in my budget. I switched from .60-size planes to .25 size planes to reduce operating cost. Problem is, the rough runway I fly from tears up the little planes with their little wheels. Gas would allow bigger planes with bigger wheels and have a lower operating cost. I already have 2 Ryobi weed whackers that came from a yard sale. The conversion is nearly done on one, waiting only for the remachined flywheel and C&H ignition to arrive from JAG. The Ryobi doesn't make enough power to hover a 13-pound plane.

This is not criticism of the Extra 260. I was able to fly the same one I flew yesterday again this morning. It is a beautiful model and flies very well. Very honest, no bad habits. It slows down for landing and the pilot still has effective control all the way down to stall speed, even when deadstick.

Other than a couple production quality problems (Hanger 9 always seems to be willing to resolve them), all the issues with the model I've heard or read about can be traced back to not following the manufacturer's set-up and/or operation recommendations.

Mike recommends digital high torque servos with metal gears, with linkages set to use all the servos' travel. I don't think it is wise to use plastic or Karbonite or to reduce throw with the endpoint adjustments. These choices, along with plastic control arms, seem to be common in planes with problems. I wonder why.

The 260 is a very high performance aircraft designed for precision aerobatics, not high speed, and if you want to zoom around at high speed boring holes in the sky, this isn't the bird for you. Get yourself a Quickee 1500 or something. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Don't buy the Extra unless you can afford the costs of appropriate power and control systems. If you try to save money, you will not be satisfied with this plane. However, if you want one of the best, and are willing to pay a fair price for it, the Extra 260 27% will not disappoint you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear what your saying. Just so you know Hitec 645's are respectable with 133 ounce metal gear servos, the digital version of this servo the 5645 has a little more tourque a little better centering and a little more holding power. I have 4 for sale, only been lost in the woods once While the 645 is 40$ the 5645 is 55$. I had 5645's in my 80" cap and they were plenty, I know you dont want to halfbutt this kind of airplane, but have seen guys use 60 ounce plastic servos in planes like this and that is scary when you see them try a power on 3D manuever. Glow fuel is expensive to feed that ST, you should be a super pioneer and tr a Davis Diesel Conversion. That would be crazy if it worked. Seriously one last thing, an inexpensive great flying airplane is the Funtana 40. This plane flies alot bigger than it is and knows all the sports car moves. I have seen them fly well with a 70FS or a 61 2 stoke, it will hover all day long on these. I am building one right now with an OS50SX because I have one to see what it will do.. This is my second one, the first one had a 70FS. If you run 30% heli you get more power and a sweet smoke trail.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There have been a couple Funtana 40s at the field. They fly good but don't last long. Wheel pants are destroyed by the second or third landing. When it is dry, our soils shrink and crack. Sometimes the crack can be an inch or more wide, and you can't see them from the pilot box. Drop a wheel in one and it's instant ground loop or noseover. 3 1/2 to 4-inch wheels don't seem to have much problem. Anything smaller does. That's why I want a bigger airplane. 3 1/2 to 4-inch wheels looks stupid on a 40 or 60 size.

I bought a couple SPAD combat planes yesterday. Hand launch, crash land, cheap. I mounted some dural landing gear on one and it does pretty good. I'm going to fly these awhile and save my money for an Extra 260 27% and do it right: DA-50, 5645 servos on the control surfaces, 81MG for throttle, 2000mAh li-po for the receiver, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, tundra tires on F40 would look funny. Keep that EVO 45 in mind too. I kind of wondering how it will stack up against DA, it might be a lighter too.
    Here is a idea for a new plane, An 80 or 100 inch Funtana, that would be sweet.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

By the way, budgetdude, steam IS a liquid. Water vapor escaping the boiler cools immediately after leaving the liquid in the boiler, causing the water vapor to condense on particles in the air, making tiny little drops of water, which is what you see. Think I'm kidding? Boil water in a clear glass pot. Look through the pot at the bubbles, made of water vapor, leaving the bottom of the pan. The bubbles are clear. Water vapor is colorless and impossible to see with your eyes.

I'm expecting a nice bottle of propwash right away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh dont worry, your going to get a nice bottle of someting, Mr-hydro-dynamiculear-smarty-pants-guy.
    Andy Thomas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mike, How about a 50-80cc size Tucano? I have seen only one other company making these and they are quite expensive. I for one would like to see something a little different at the flying field that is of large scale besides an aerobat or WWII fighter.
    Prop ripping corn field flyer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how about a 90 size yak to replace the extreme flight.

What would you do for retracts in a Tucano?
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Quique sells a very nice 72" Yak.

http://www.somenzini.com/grafico4.htm
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Haven't been to this thread in awhile so .................................................. ............

SUKHOI!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont know about the retracts but the ones for the new P-47 look good. Seems like H-9 could develop some that are larger and stronger to fit or design the plane with some Robarts in mind so that the customer has a choice. ?? Just a thought. Does any one else share my opinion about the Tucano? Just curious.

Thanks, Jamie
    Prop ripping corn field flyer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For new planes, how about anything that is lightly wing loaded and is highly arobatic that can sport the new saito 125 (in addition to the Swowtime 4D). You already have a record of designing awsome planes and IMHO an awsome performing plane overides the need to duplicate the looks of a full scale anything. So get creative, hit us with your best shot (again) and show us something to hammer that Saito 125 to the clouds and you will have a plane that the masses can afford and be able to sell many since you won't have to wait for the other manufactures 1.10!!

You know I flew the Saito 125 in a Funtana 90 the other day and the power was excellent! Granted it was very cold out so performance was better, but I also ran 15% fuel, and I always ran 30% in the Saito 100. Even on 15% the power was MUCH better than I had with the 100 on 30%. It seemed to be to be the perfect engine combination with 90-100 size 3D models like the Funtana, ShowTime etc.
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

You know I flew the Saito 125 in a Funtana 90 the other day and the power was excellent! Granted it was very cold out so performance was better, but I also ran 15% fuel, and I always ran 30% in the Saito 100. Even on 15% the power was MUCH better than I had with the 100 on 30%. It seemed to be to be the perfect engine combination with 90-100 size 3D models like the Funtana, ShowTime etc.
    So does that mean I shouldn't be running my Saito 150 in my Showtime? It seems like it has just enough power to get me through a couple of maneuvers on the vertical line

Just kiddin', I was thinking about changing the motor to a YS 110 or the Saito 125, but even with the weight of the 150, the wingload isn't effected. The plane flies very light and does everything I can do, plus a whole lot more.

Ken
    Ken Thompson - Team Black Magic - Team DragonFire
    Fellowship of Christian Modelers

The 150 is great power, but of course the wing loading has to be effected. If the weight is greater and the wing area doesnt also increase, then the loading is higher.
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

Just ordered the 125 to put into my F90. This was done against the advice of the Horizon saleslady and was warned it would void my F90s warranty. I told her that the present advertisements for the Showtime were saying the 125 was a great engine for it. The saleslady said the since the Showtime was more a of a pattern plane that this was okay, just not for the F90.

I see no problem with placing the 125 in the F90. With proper throttle control...what could be the problem? The weights are almost identical and there is a (I believe) a .4hp increase of the 100.

Thanks,

Brendan Taff

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast