TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Harriers w/H9 Extra 330s question.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:49 AM
spinner11
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Harriers w/H9 Extra 330s question.

Mike, I have been trying to harrier the 330s and if I start up high after a parachute at an idle it floats perfectley with full elevator on high rates. Once I start to apply some throttle the wings rock back and forth then falls out. This is with the elevator at full deflection still. I tried to use less elevator and compensate with aelorons and rudder still to no avail.

The engine I am useing is a zdz 80 w/pull pull on rudder. The tank is just in front of the wing tube. My CG is at 4 1/2 behind the leading edge of the wing on a full tank and moves to 5 1/4 on empty.

Can you give me some advice here? It might be my technique... or setup... or both. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:39 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Harriers w/H9 Extra 330s question.

I have exactly the same experience with mine. Spoilerons help but I have 75% in mine now and it still rocks some. Im curious on moving the CG back, but I would hate to screw up the precision part of flying
Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I havent been able to get rig of all wing rock with the Extra. I found a little spoileron helps (maybe 20 degrees) but a lot seems hurt. One technique that seems to help some is to slightly roll off of level and hold a little opposite rudder. "Loading" the model some seems to help lock the wings in. Its takes some practice to get it down, the inputs are subtle.
Alos try minimizing aileron inputs and throttle movements. Both will contribute to wing rocking.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
spinner11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll try the spoilerons. A little rocking won't bother me as long as it doesn't fall out.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you have spoilerons as a permanent mix or on a switch?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mine are on a switch using the flaps-elevator function in my 9C
Old 08-12-2004, 01:05 PM
MMcConville

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Use a switch. They cant be on all the time. On the JR 10X I use code 63 Elev to flap mix to set the spoilerons
Old 08-16-2004, 05:09 PM
spinner11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, I called Horizon today and talked to product support about my spoileron set up and the fella I got a hold of did not know much about it - he tried best he could but I need some better info. First of all let me start out my saying that my control throws and expo is set up exactley as you have recomended for the Extra. (I like em) My radio is a JR8103.

My ailorons are split into channels 2 and 6 into the reciever. They are programed in the radio as Flapperon. Last night I slaved Flap to Elev at -70% for up and down both and I can turn them on and off through the mix switch.

The result was this on high rates: The ailorons move in tandem with the elevator. If the elevator moves a little then so do the ailorons. At full up deflection of the elevator both of the aelorons are deflected up at about 25 degrees. The same is true when the elevator is deflected down...the aelorons deflect toward the ground. I think this is set up correctley but I just want your opinion so I know that the aelorons are deflecting in the right direction. 25 degrees might be too much. You mentioned in an earlier post that yours were at 20 degrees so I can dial them back. How can you tell if you have too much or not enough deflection in your aelorons?

Since I have never flown with spoilerons I don't know what to expect. I plan to switch them on at slow level flight and gentley nose the plane up and add a little power. If something goes wrong I will just switch them off and recover. The other thing that I was wondering about is whether or not the spoileron mix should be on or off after transitioning to a hover. Seems like I should switch them off as soon as the transition is made.

Mike, thank you for your time... I'm kinda the lone ranger at my field when it comes to this tipe of flying and of course all the advise I have gotten so far is conflicting. I just don't want any suprises.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:15 AM
MMcConville

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have the spoilerong moving correctly (I assume they are going up when the evel goes up and vice versa). I think the issue now is the amount of throw. 25 degrees isnt enough for 3D and way too much for normal flying. You'll only want to turn on the spoilerons when doing some 3D stuff, like Harriers or elevators. Turn them off the rest of the time.

On your 3D rate you really want 40 degrees elevator. 25 deg will probably put you right into a stall. Low rate needs to be more like 12 to 14 degrees. Be sure to use expo. Thats a personal feel issue, but I like about 40% on low rate and 75% on 3D rate.

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 PM
spinner11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good deal...thanks for the advice. I can't wait to check it out.